See final sentence.  Better they should investigate Butt as a potential
terrorist.

Bruce

Pakistani murdered in possible bombings backlash

July 13, 2005 - 12:45AM

Sydney Morning Herald

A Pakistani man has been killed in a suspected racial attack in the central
English city of Nottingham, police said on Tuesday.

The death comes amid fears such assaults could increase following last
week's bombings in London.

Pakistani national Kamal Raza Butt died on Sunday, three days after the
London bombings, and the attack was "being investigated as a
racially-aggravated incident," a Nottinghamshire Police spokesman said,
adding that six youths arrested on Monday were in custody and being
questioned.

Inayat Bunglawala, a spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain, linked
Butt's death to Thursday's attacks on three London Underground trains and a
double-decker bus which killed at least 52 and left hundreds injured.

Prime Minister Tony Blair has associated the bombings with Osama bin Laden's
al-Qaeda terrorist network - the group behind the September 11 attacks in
the United States in 2001.

Several mosques in Britain have had windows smashed or have been targeted by
suspected arsonists since Thursday.

"There does appear to be a backlash taking place," Bunglawala said.

"Up until the weekend no one had been seriously injured but the weekend's
murder in Nottingham makes it far more serious.

"We are in touch with the police over this," he said.

"They suspect it was racially motivated but they are not confirming whether
it was anything to do with last week's attacks.

Butt, 48, who was born in Pakistan, had been staying in Nottingham with a
friend for around six weeks, police said.

He was apparently assaulted shortly after he left a neighbourhood shop.

The man collapsed unconscious and was pronounced dead on arrival at
hospital.

"Unless something comes along that links the events in London and this
event, then we will treat it as an isolated incident," Nottinghamshire
Police superintendent Dave Colbeck said.

"From the inquiries we have made in the area, it leads us to believe we
should investigate it as a racist attack."

AFP

  _____