Company Wants To Offer Taser Guns To Public
Police Believe Stun Guns Will Cause More Harm Than Good

POSTED: 10:03 a.m. EDT July 25, 2005
UPDATED: 10:03 a.m. EDT July 25, 2005

Story by nbc6.net <http://www.nbc6.net>

DAVIE, Fla. -- Taser stun guns are already a source of controversy in South
Florida -- should cops use them and when?

But now a new concern is developing over whether the general public should
have access to the weapons.

Images: Many Oppose Taser Guns For Public Use

Manufacturer Taser International wants the public to have a chance to buy
its Taser guns, and will launch its first sales blitz Tuesday in South
Florida.

Taser stun guns are nonlethal weapons -- defensive tools mainly utilized by
law enforcement.

Police believe if the Taser stun guns are released to the public, the guns
won't solely be used for defensive purposes but rather for people to commit
crimes.

"For civilians, I think Tasers are a very bad idea," said Jeff Dillard, a
former cop who now owns National Firearms and Accessories.

Dillard said promoting use by civilians could cause more harm than good.

"I think it would probably be more dangerous to women getting raped or
somebody getting mugged at night than it would be used for defensive
reasons," he said.

The Taser stun gun Taser International is marketing is called the X26C --
Citizens' Defense System.

It releases 50,000 volts in one shot -- enough to knock a person off their
feet. The Taser gun is legal in 43 states, including Florida, and requires
no background check.

While police officers are trained to use the weapon, training is not a
requirement for the public.

"You might have good intentions. You may purchase a Taser to protect
yourself, but if you don't treat it with the respect that you have to, you
might have someone in your home that might get hurt with it," Miami police
Officer Amy Salas-Jacobson said.

Most people NBC 6 talked to also said that Taser guns are dangerous to the
public.

"I think that would be like giving weapons to kids. Simple as that -- that's
dangerous," Andy Ortiz said.

"I think it's important if they do decide to offer Tasers, they should offer
a class with it," Dimitri Psihogios said.

"They shouldn't even be for police officers but I guess they have to use it
for their safety but I don't think they should have it," Tashara James said.

So far, more than 100,000 civilian models have been sold nationwide. In
South Florida, gun dealers and pawnshops have been selling the Taser stun
gun for more than a year.