http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2
<http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=45997&ver
sion=1&template_id=39&parent_id=21>
&item_no=45997&version=1&template_id=39&parent_id=21

Nervous bravado in European cities under Qaeda threat
<http://www.gulf-times.com/site/images/spacer.gif>

Published: Tuesday, 26 July, 2005, 01:24 PM Doha Time
ROME: In European cities on an Al Qaeda Internet hit list, people are
showing a mixture of resignation, defiance and nerves.
"Sooner or later, it will be our turn," said Italian tourist Iliaria
Rambelli who, like many others in the country, believe Italy, a steadfast US
ally with 3,000 troops in Iraq, could be the next target of a terror attack.
"There was the US, Madrid, London, and yesterday Egypt. We are even more
under threat because our government is close to the Bush administration and
Britain," she said outside a cafe a few streets from the Vatican and St
Peter's Square.
Nearby, a 63-year-old pensioner, Paolo, said that he had told his two
children to ease off using the bus and subway trains. "And when I look at
the basilica of St. Paul's, I always think of the planes from September 11
with a sense of foreboding."
European nations were given a "final warning" to pull their troops out of
Iraq within a month or face more attacks in an Al Qaeda message on the
Internet dated July 16.
"It's a message we are addressing to the crusaders who are still present in
Iraq - Denmark, the Netherlands, Britain, Italy and those other countries
whose troops continue to criss-cross Iraqi territory," it said.
After August 15, "there will be no more messages, just actions that will be
engraved on the heart of Europe", said the statement, the authenticity of
which could not be verified. "These are our last words. The mujahedeen, who
are on the lookout, will have other words to say in your capitals."
In Denmark, a staunch ally of Washington with more than 500 troops in Iraq
as of the end of April, warehouse worker Hastings Smythe was fatalistic.
"I cannot waste my time being scared. Either it happens or it does not,"
said Smythe, one of the few weekend passengers on a Copenhagen subway train.
Despite his cool, Smythe admits he keeps "an eye out for any suspicious
packages and large backpacks because you never know".
"People seem nervous, even if they do not show it."
The Netherlands, which withdrew its active troop contingent from Iraq in
April, was still named in the Al Qaeda message.
"I am not scared. I have to see it to believe it," said tram driver Roland
Paesch in Amsterdam.
Though transport authorities in the Netherlands have given no special
instruction for vigilance, Paesch and his colleagues have been casting a
wary eye since the repeat attacks in London.
"There is nothing we can do, we have to carry on," he said. "Whatever we do,
they (the terrorists) are here, in the city and if they want to do
something..." He gestures skywards without finishing the sentence.
At the central rail station ticket office in Amsterdam, Milou Heintjes is on
the lookout for suspect packages but she "refuses to give in to fear". She
says she does not expect an attack but is "aware that we could be the next
target".
Internet messages signed by Al Qaeda have claimed the blasts on the Red Sea
resort of Sharm el-Sheikh that killed at least 88 people and the two bombing
campaigns in London - one that killed 56 people including the four bombers
on July 7 and another that seemed to go awry wounding no one on July 21. -
AFP