http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16061585-38199,00.html

Apology of 'pigs' rejected

>From correspondents in Rio de Janeiro
July 26, 2005
From: Agence France-Presse

THE family of a Brazilian electrician shot dead by London police who
mistook him for a suicide bombing suspect has rejected the apologies
of British authorities and is considering filing a lawsuit against
them, a family member said.
"We cannot accept (the apologies)," Patricia Silva y Vivian Menezes,
a cousin of deceased 27-year-old Jean Charles de Menezes, told
Brazil's Globo News television from London.
"They're pigs.
"They shoot first and kill an innocent person then they say sorry."
Ms Menezes, who lived with Mr Menezes in his London flat, said his
immediate family was planning to sue the British Government for the
electrician's wrongful death.
Another cousin, Alex Alves Pereira, who shared the same flat,
identified Mr Menezes at the morgue after he had been shot eight
times in the head at Stockwell Underground station after being
chased by plainclothes police.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair said yesterday that Britain
was "desperately sorry" for the death of the Brazilian, whom police
mistook for a suspected suicide bomber and who had refused to obey
instructions.
"It's all over for me," the victim's father, Matosinho Otoni da
Silva, 66, told the news program.
"I hope the police officers will be punished because they killed an
innocent person. I cannot forgive them at all."
The mother, Maria Otoni, who was hospitalised with a nervous
breakdown after she received the news, said her son had had a
premonition all last week:
"He was afraid something bad was going to happen to him," she said.
Mr Menezes's home town of Gonzaga, in Brazil's south-eastern Minais
Gerais state, held a funeral march and observed a minute of silence
for him yesterday, bringing the city of 6000 to a virtual
standstill.
"Terrorism: means killing an innocent person," one of the signs held
up by a mourner in the procession said.
Brazilian Foreign Minister Celso Amorim urged Britain to launch an
investigation into the killing after meeting British counterpart
Jack Straw in London.
"We expect a full investigation," Mr Amorim told BBC radio
yesterday, adding that his Government was "shocked and perplexed" by
the fatal shooting of Mr Menezes.
"The investigation should be thorough and I had reassurances in that
respect.
Mr Menezes had been living legally in Britain for three years,
according to his family.