ACLU investigates random train searches
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN Associated Press Writer
STAMFORD, Conn.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut has begun an investigation
into a new practice of random searches on Metro-North trains, a spokesman
said Monday.

The searches began last week after the latest attacks on London's transit
system. The Connecticut ACLU joins its affiliates in New York and New Jersey
in raising concerns about the practice.

"We believe it opens up the door to profiling and potential discrimination,"
said Roger Vann, executive director of the ACLU of Connecticut. "We're
launching an investigation into the situation in Connecticut similar to what
our affiliates have done in New York and New Jersey. Whether or not that
will result in a lawsuit will depend on what we find."

The ACLU will send monitors out later this week to a few train stations to
interview commuters, Vann said. They are also taking complaints by e-mail.
The address is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Metropolitan Transit Authority police are conducting random searches of
packages, briefcases and bags as part of anti-terrorism efforts. Passengers
can refuse the search, but Metro-North can then refuse to allow those
passengers to board.

"The ACLU's concerns have been noted and we believe the searches are legal
and something our customers want," said Tom Kelly, MTA spokesman. "The vast,
vast majority think if in the slightest way it's going to improve security
they're all for it. The customers understand this is the day and age we're
living in."

Metro-North trains carry 110,000 riders daily from Connecticut into New York
on one of the nation's busiest rail lines. The railroad has not received any
complaints so far about the searches, said Marjorie Anders, a Metro-North
spokeswoman.

While the ACLU was raising concerns about random searches, three state
lawmakers sent a letter to state officials Monday seeking a meeting to
discuss security measures being taken on the trains. State Sens. Andrew
McDonald, D-Stamford, Bill Finch, D-Bridgeport, and Bob Duff, D-Norwalk, are
suggesting the use of closed-circuit cameras in stations and other measures.

State police troopers have been patrolling trains after the first set of
bombings in London.

Connecticut Public Safety Commissioner Leonard Boyle said last week that
police in Connecticut plan to focus on identifying suspicious behavior
rather than conducting random searches.

Jim Cameron, vice chairman of Connecticut Rail Commuter Council, said last
week he doesn't think commuters will mind the extra scrutiny.

Searches were already underway on trains, buses and ferries into and out of
New York City on Friday.

Security on ferries had already been increased in the wake of the first
round of bombings in London. Baggage is screened and cars are searched
before they're allowed on board.
050725 210629

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

FAIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this
message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to
these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed
within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with
"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The
Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain
permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials
if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria
for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies
as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four
criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is
determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not
substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use
copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:

THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS
PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.