Good!

Keep the corrupt UN out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

SENATOR DENOUNCES REPORT CALLING FOR UN GLOBAL INTERNET CONTROL

Mon Aug 01 2005 18:43:18 ET

Washington, D.C.-Senator Norm Coleman today submitted a statement into the
Congressional Record denouncing a final report issued by the United Nations'
Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG) suggesting that the U.N. assume
global governance of the Internet. Since its inception and creation in the
United States, the U.S. has assumed the historic role of overseeing the
Internet's growth and has overseen its development. The U.N. taskforce
report suggests that in addition to terminating the U.S.'s leadership role,
the authority and functions of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
and Numbers (ICANN), a non-profit organization overseen by the U.S.
Department of Commerce, should be transferred as well. Senator Coleman
strongly opposes these measures.

"My probe of the U.N. as Chairman of the Permanent Subcommittee on
Investigations revealed management that was at best, incompetent, and at
worst corrupt," said Coleman. "The first priority for the United Nations
must be fundamental reform of its management and operations rather than any
expansion of its authority and responsibilities. The Internet has flourished
under U.S. supervision, oversight, and private sector involvement. This
growth did not happen because of increased government involvement, but
rather, from the opening on the Internet to commerce and private sector
innovation. Subjecting the Internet and its security to the politicized
control of the UN bureaucracy would be a giant and foolhardy step
backwards."

"Recently, I introduced UN reform legislation with the Chairman of the
Senate Foreign Relations, Senator Dick Lugar (R-IN), known as the
Coleman-Lugar UN Reform Bill, to help put an end to a culture of corruption
that was exposed by the Oil for Food scandal, peacekeeping sexual abuse
scandals, and other instances of organizational failures at U.N.," Coleman
said. "Putting the U.N. in charge of one of the world's most important
technological wonders and economic engines is out of the question. This
proposal would leave the United States with no more say over the future of
the Internet than Cuba or China-countries that have little or no commitment
to the free flow of information."

The WGIG taskforce report will be discussed at the next World Summit on the
Information Society Tunisia in November.

"In light of this report, I also plan to consult with experts and
stakeholders regarding Internet governance, and will assess whether
legislation is needed as a remedy," Coleman continued. "The U.S. is willing
to work with other countries that have an interest in the management of
their own country code domains but UN control is out of the question. We
will continue a dialogue with the rest of the world on these issues as we go
forward."

END

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h5qqno2/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123019716/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>