http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/007294.php

AUGUST 05, 2005
THE THEOLOGY OF SUICIDE JIHAD

by Donald Sensing at August 5, 2005 01:16 PM

In my three part (so far) essay, The Forever Jihad, I explored the
still-developing bifircation of Islamism and jihadism. In
particular, I spent a long section explaining the theology of
jihadism and how it is differentiated from historic Islam or even
Islamism. (I am converting the series into separate page as I write
it; to open the page at the top, click here.)
Comes now Andi's World, who links to an Australian news article that
she says illuminates the subject, too.

This one sentence by Abdul Nacer Ben Brika, an Australian, goes a
long way in explaining the rationalism for Jihad.
"According to my religion, jihad is a part of my religion and, what
you have to understand that anyone who fights for the sake of Allah,
when he dies, the first drop of blood that comes from him out all
his sin will be forgiven."

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah - 72 Virgins too. Just one more recruiting tool.
Recruiting tool? Exactly right. The hook is not merely that a jihadi
can remit his own sins by dying in battle to defend Islam, but that
they are being told they can bring to paradise with them up to 70
family members whose sins will be forgiven by Allah because of their
relationship to the shahid (martyr). In my essay I cited "an imam
affiliated with Hamas, a youthful, bearded graduate of the
prestigious al Azhar University in Cairo,"

... He explained that the first drop of blood shed by a martyr
during jihad washes away his sins instantaneously. On the Day of
Judgment, he will face no reckoning. On the Day of Resurrection, he
can intercede for 70 of his nearest and dearest to enter Heaven; and
he will have at his disposal 72 houris, the beautiful virgins of
Paradise. The imam took pains to explain that the promised bliss is
not sensual.

This teaching is a very powerful recruiting tool for young men and
some women. Islam, to say nothing of its stricter forms such as
Salafism and Islamism, is almost entirely focused on the next life.
A basic tenet of all Islam is that of judgment by Allah at the
general resurrection. The judgment is to be based on nothing but the
relative weight of one's virtuous acts and sins. Salvation to
paradise is entirely earned by a Muslim's effort; it is not simply
granted gratis by Allah. The idea that dying as a jihadi by itself
remits all prior sins comes from Mohammed himself, who told his
soldiers before the battle of Badr told his soldiers,
"I swear by the One in whose hand Muhammad's soul is, any man who
fights them today and is killed while he is patient in the ordeal
and seeks the pleasure of Allah, going forward and not backing off,
Allah will enter him into Paradise."

So the notion of salvation through combat is really a fundamental
idea of Islam. In the last 25 years or so the idea has taken deep
root, thanks to Osama bin Laden, that "defending Islam" includes the
terrorist slaughter of women, children and other non-combatants, all
formally off limits to deliberate attack in historic Muslim thought.

What that development does is displace a prospective shahid from
fighting as part of a larger formation in which he merely risks
death. Now, with suicide bombing (suicide always strictly prohibited
by Islam heretofore) promulgated as a legitimate form of combat, the
guarantee of admission to paradise is practically ironclad. There is
almost no risk of failure from the fog of battle and the devotion of
suiciders can be held higher than traditional jihadis.

Before, jihadis merely risked death in battle, accepting it if it
came, but suicide jihadis actually evoke their own deaths. What
greater devotion to Islam could there be? So suicide jihadism is
being sold as the ultimate, unsurpassable act of Islamic worship.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hk0fbde/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123499309/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>