"Berntsen says he had definitive intelligence that bin Laden was holed
up at Tora Bora—intelligence operatives had tracked him—and could have
been caught. "He was there," Berntsen tells NEWSWEEK."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8853000/site/newsweek/

Exclusive: CIA Commander: U.S. Let bin Laden Slip Away

Newsweek

Aug. 15, 2005 issue - During the 2004 presidential campaign, George W.
Bush and John Kerry battled about whether Osama bin Laden had escaped
from Tora Bora in the final days of the war in Afghanistan. Bush,
Kerry charged, "didn't choose to use American forces to hunt down and
kill" the leader of Al Qaeda. The president called his opponent's
allegation "the worst kind of Monday-morning quarterbacking." Bush
asserted that U.S. commanders on the ground did not know if bin Laden
was at the mountain hideaway along the Afghan border.

But in a forthcoming book, the CIA field commander for the agency's
Jawbreaker team at Tora Bora, Gary Berntsen, says he and other U.S.
commanders did know that bin Laden was among the hundreds of fleeing
Qaeda and Taliban members. Berntsen says he had definitive
intelligence that bin Laden was holed up at Tora Bora—intelligence
operatives had tracked him—and could have been caught. "He was there,"
Berntsen tells NEWSWEEK. Asked to comment on Berntsen's remarks,
National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones passed on 2004
statements from former CENTCOM commander Gen. Tommy Franks. "We don't
know to this day whether Mr. bin Laden was at Tora Bora in December
2001," Franks wrote in an Oct. 19 New York Times op-ed. "Bin Laden was
never within our grasp." Berntsen says Franks is "a great American.
But he was not on the ground out there. I was."

In his book—titled "Jawbreaker"—the decorated career CIA officer
criticizes Donald Rumsfeld's Defense Department for not providing
enough support to the CIA and the Pentagon's own Special Forces teams
in the final hours of Tora Bora, says Berntsen's lawyer, Roy Krieger.
(Berntsen would not divulge the book's specifics, saying he's awaiting
CIA clearance.) That backs up other recent accounts, including that of
military author Sean Naylor, who calls Tora Bora a "strategic
disaster" because the Pentagon refused to deploy a cordon of
conventional forces to cut off escaping Qaeda and Taliban members.
Maj. Todd Vician, a Defense Department spokesman, says the problem at
Tora Bora "was not necessarily just the number of troops."

Berntsen's book gives, by contrast, a heroic portrayal of CIA
activities at Tora Bora and in the war on terror. Ironically, he has
sued the agency over what he calls unacceptable delays in approving
his book—a standard process for ex-agency employees describing
classified matters. "They're just holding the book," which is
scheduled for October release, he says. "CIA officers, Special Forces
and U.S. air power drove the Taliban out in 70 days. The CIA has taken
roughly 80 days to clear my book." Jennifer Millerwise, a CIA
spokeswoman, says Berntsen's "timeline is not accurate," adding that
he submitted his book as an ex-employee only in mid-June. "We take
seriously our goal of responding quickly."

—Michael Hirsh

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h2a0ear/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123560494/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>