Excellent insight from a Canadian.

Bruce

Reasons to despair

David Warren

The Ottawa Citizen

August 10, 2005

Here are five unanswerable reasons to despair about the future of the Middle
East and therefore about any alleviation of the "root cause" of the Islamist
violence that promises to turn Western countries, including Canada, into one
long Gaza Strip.

1. Iran is about to go nuclear. The same Iran that is the world's leading
state sponsor of terrorism, abroad through Hezbollah and at home through its
Revolutionary Guards. The ayatollahs are only a little more responsible than
the North Korean politburo, but compensate for this with a more vicious
ideology. Nuclear weaponry may preserve them for at least another generation
in power, as it did the Soviet Communists, while much improving their
ability to do mischief far beyond their borders. Neither the United States
nor Europe "has a plan" for dealing with this, beyond diplomatic talk. Talk
is useless.

2. Nor does anyone have a plan, nor could they, for dealing with Saudi
Arabia, many of whose several thousand royal princes are still directing
vast, and again growing, sums of oil money into radical Muslim proselytizing
and associated terror cells. The prevailing wisdom is that when the extended
Saud family finally loses its grip, Arabia will fall into the hands of such
exiled princes as Osama bin Laden.

3. As I wrote last Saturday, the case of Sayyid Mahmud al-Qimany in Egypt
has demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that, even where the secular state
is willing, official Islam is unwilling to countenance the opening of Muslim
society to democracy and responsible government. In at least 20 other Muslim
nations, the mosque is increasing, not decreasing, its power over secular
political life, and the Islamic injunction against the separation of "church
and state" is being clarified in the public mind.

4. One of those countries is Iraq, where what had promised to be a battle
between a people craving peace, order and democracy on one side and Baathist
diehards and insurgent Islamist allies-of-convenience on the other, is
degenerating into a struggle between Sunni and Shia Islam for control of an
expressly theocratic state.

I have not given up on the will of Iraq's political representatives to forge
a viable, secular, democratic constitutional order, nor on the desire of the
huge majority of Iraqis to put fanaticism behind them. That's why the U.S.
marines are there to help. There is more scope for "civil society" in the
Shia than in the Sunni scheme of things (and the Shia have the numbers to
prevail in Iraq). But the odds are turning against an Iraqi success story.

5. Never forget Palestine, the formal chief banner of Islamic grievance and,
generally, the "King Charles's head" of the whole Umma. No progress whatever
has been made by the post-Arafat Palestinian Authority in establishing a
"civil society" to confront terrorism. Not one single undertaking of the PA
to advance across the "roadmap to peace" with Israel has yet been fulfilled.
And the response of the general population in Gaza to the voluntary
withdrawal of Israeli settlements --which is to hold a victory parade --
shows a society committed to war with Israel so long as Israel shall exist.
With repercussions everywhere else.

So to the question, "Is there a crisis in Islam?", the answer might be a
droll, "No, it is flourishing." The crisis is developing in Former
Christendom. President Bush and Prime Ministers Blair of Britain and Howard
of Australia have made a brave start in leading the western response to what
is becoming less deniably a "clash of civilizations." They were right to
take the battle to the enemy, and they remain right in attempting to rebuild
Iraq and Afghanistan as "beacons." They rightly grasp that the alternative
is worse.

What they have done is just a start, however, and I see no one in mainstream
western politics with the glimmering of an idea about what to do next.
Plenty of evidence, on the other hand, that our "ruling classes" have been
rotted away by moral relativism and by the cowardice that is the rot below
that. And, especially in Canada and western Europe, evidence that "the
people" do not have the stomach for any challenge at all.

Lately, therefore, I notice myself returning to what I wrote, much sooner
after 9/11, when I was not sanguine about the prospects of containing the
Islamist menace. As recently as this spring, we saw evidence that something
like a "democracy wave" was building across the Middle East -- the best hope
to achieve that containment. Now, quite frankly, that wave is subsiding, and
I can find little impetus for it to continue. It appears to have been only a
wind-whipped wave, not an ocean-deep tsunami.

So why not despair? I leave my reader to think about that, until I return to
this subject on Saturday.

David Warren's column appears Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h4befll/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123688834/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>