Yeah, kinda like the Americans, Canadians and everyone else in the Western
world.

Bruce

Blair repeatedly failed to tackle radical Muslims in his backyard
By Richard Beeston and Michael Binyon

London Times

August 10, 2005
The outgoing Saudi Ambassador says lack of response to warnings risked
damaging relations with Riyadh

TWO of Britain’s closest allies in the war on terrorism made scathing
criticisms of the Government yesterday for being soft and indecisive in
dealing with Muslim extremists at home.

Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, both countries that co-operate closely with
Britain against al-Qaeda, said that Tony Blair’s Government had consistently
failed to tackle Islamic militancy. In a farewell interview with The Times,
Prince Turki al-Faisal, the outgoing Saudi Ambassador to London, said that
he had been “going around in circles” during his 2½-year posting in a failed
attempt to make Britain understand the danger posed by Saudi dissidents in
London linked to al-Qaeda.

Prince Turki, 60, has established himself as one of the most open and
articulate members of the Saudi Royal Family and put public diplomacy at the
heart of his assignment. He will be taking up his new post as Ambassador to
Washington in the autumn.

He looked back fondly on his time in London, with the exception of the
Government’s inadequate response to dealing with extremist Muslims. The most
frustrating experience was being shunted around Whitehall by departments
trying to pass the buck.

“When you call somebody he says it is the other guy. If you talk to the
security people, they say it is the politicians’ fault. If you talk to the
politicians they say it is the Crown Prosecution Service. If you call the
Crown Prosecution Service, they say, no, it is MI5. So we have been in this
runaround for the last two and a half years,” he said.

His remarks coincided with an outburst from President Musharraf of Pakistan
who accused the Government of being too timid with homegrown Muslim
extremists who use mosques to preach hatred. Asked by the BBC if Britain had
been too soft, he said: “Yes, I think so, absolutely. It should be stopped,
nobody should be talking of hatred and militancy and aggression . . . That
is not what the mosque is meant for.”

Most of Prince Turki’s criticism focused on the failure of the authorities
to take action against two Saudi dissidents, Saad Faqih, the head of the
Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia, and his former colleague, Mohammad
al-Masari.

Mr Faqih, who lives in Willesden, northwest London, was placed on the UN
terror list last year. He is accused by the US of involvement in the 1998
bombing of the US Embassy in Nairobi. One of the claims for the London
Underground bombings was placed on his website by an al-Qaeda group. He is
also accused by the Saudis of involvement in a Libyan-inspired plot last
year to kill King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia.

Dr al-Masari runs a jihadi website which posts videos of suicide bombings in
Iraq and Israel and anti-Western propaganda. In spite of their activities,
Prince Turki said that the British had largely ignored the threat. “We have
been urging your Government to send them back since 1996, if not earlier.
During my two and a half years here it was one of the most persistent and
consistent topics,” he said.

The matter was raised with Mr Blair Crown Prince Abdullah, as he then was,
at the G8 meeting in Evian, two years ago. The Prime Minister said there was
nothing he could do. Abdullah suggested he changed the law. Mr Blair
promised he would, but no again action was taken.

When Mr Faqih’s name was placed on the UN list, the Saudis again approached
the authorities, insisting that they shut down his operation. “We went to
them after this and said that putting him on the list means that you have to
do the following: stop him from promoting his message; stop him
communicating; seize his assets. The Treasury finally took against his bank
accounts, which obviously he does not keep any money in. He had £20 or
something,” he said.

“We listed all the obligations now that his name was on the terrorist list.
The response we got was, ‘We are studying your proposals’. Basically, ‘Don’t
call us we will call you’. It was very disappointing,” he said.

The Saudis were so angry that Prince Abdullah then warned Jack Straw, the
Foreign Secretary, and Geoff Hoon, the former Defence Secretary, when they
visited Saudi Arabia this year, that relations with Britain would be damaged
if nothing were done.

The message was driven home by King Abdullah last week when Mr Blair
travelled to Riyadh for the funeral of King Fahd. Again the Prime Minister
promised that new laws would be introduced.

Prince Turki said that he hoped that the authorities would belatedly act,
though he doubted whether anything would be done before his departure next
month.

“Everybody seems to be on holiday,” he said.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h7t0onl/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123693512/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>