"We have expressed our security concerns and believe it is simply not
possible to discuss Able Danger in any great detail in an open public
forum,"

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/politics/21intel.html?pagewanted=all

September 21, 2005

Pentagon Bars Military Officers and Analysts From Testifying

By PHILIP SHENON

WASHINGTON, Sept. 20 - The Pentagon said Tuesday that it had blocked
several military officers and intelligence analysts from testifying at
an open Congressional hearing about a highly classified intelligence
program that, the officers have said, identified a ringleader of the
Sept. 11 attacks as a potential terrorist a year before the attacks.

The officers and intelligence analysts had been scheduled to testify
on Wednesday about the program, known as Able Danger, at a hearing of
the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Bryan Whitman, a Defense Department spokesman, said in a statement
that open testimony "would not be appropriate."

"We have expressed our security concerns and believe it is simply not
possible to discuss Able Danger in any great detail in an open public
forum," Mr. Whitman said.

He offered no other explanation of the Pentagon's reasoning.

Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania and chairman of the
committee, said he was surprised by the Pentagon's decision because
"so much of this has already been in the public domain, and I think
that the American people need to know what happened here."

Mr. Specter said in a telephone interview that he intended to go ahead
with the hearing on Wednesday and hoped that it "may produce a change
of heart by the Department of Defense in answering some very basic
questions."

Two military officers - an active-duty captain in the Navy and a
lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserve - have recently said publicly
that they were involved with Able Danger and that the program's
analysts identified Mohamed Atta, the Egyptian-born ringleader of the
Sept. 11 attacks, by name as a potential terrorist by early 2000.

They said they tried to share the information with the Federal Bureau
of Investigation in the summer of 2000, more than a year before the
attacks, but were blocked by Defense Department lawyers. F.B.I.
officials, who answer to the jurisdiction of Mr. Specter's committee,
have confirmed that the Defense Department abruptly canceled meetings
in 2000 between the bureau's Washington field office and
representatives of the Able Danger team.

The Pentagon had said that it interviewed three other people who were
involved with Able Danger and who said that they, too, recalled the
identification of Mr. Atta as a terrorist suspect. Mr. Specter said
his staff had talked to all five of the potential witnesses and found
that "credibility has been established" for all of them.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpgUKB/pzNLAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM