"...there's something involved here that goes far beyond ordinary
wiretaps, regardless of the technology used. Perhaps some kind of
massive data mining, which makes it impossible to get individual
warrants?"

Certainly if phone calls were the object, Echelon is still up and
running with transcripts from those foreign governments only a FISA
warrant away. Why would Bush43 ignore all that and go it alone?
There were rumors that Poindexter's TIA had gone black shortly after
Congress refused to fund it at DARPA. With Rockefeller's comments as a
key, it would appear that a TIA type operation might just be the case
with NSA phone taps being only the initial step in data mining
comprehensive profiles of the persons with foreign contacts. And then
the natural next step is to flesh out that person's contacts in the
U.S. in order to paint the picture of a possible terrorist cell or
network. Of course a complete data mining job on them too and then
all of their contacts too. And on and on and on. They call certain
pizza parlors and cleaners and various other businesses for services.
Each of those establishments whose numbers are called by targeted
persons has scores or even hundreds of steady customers who call for
various business services. Bingo! On the list! The ripple effect has
to be HUGE! By now probably at least a million U.S citizens in the
NSA list. With comprehensive data mining profiles on EACH ONE. Do
you eat Middle Eastern food? Use a dry cleaner run by a middle
easterner? A tax preparer from Lebanon? Well, welcome to the Bush
List. How soon will you be an enemy combatant?

David Bier

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2005_12/007812.php

December 19, 2005

WHAT IS THE NSA UP TO?....So what's the nature of the secret NSA
bugging program? Why did the Bush administration feel like they
couldn't continue to seek warrants via the usual FISA procedures? Take
a look at the following quotes and you can see a single thread that
starts to emerge:

*

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, telling reporters why Bush
didn't simply ask Congress to pass a law making the program clearly
legal: "We've had discussions with members of Congress, certain
members of Congress, about whether or not we could get an amendment to
FISA, and we were advised that that was not likely to be =3DE2=3D80"
that w=
as
not something we could likely get, certainly not without jeopardizing
the existence of the program, and therefore, killing the program."

*

President Bush, answering questions at Monday's press
conference: "We use FISA still....But FISA is for long-term
monitoring....There is a difference between detecting so we can
prevent, and monitoring. And it's important to know the distinction
between the two....We used the [FISA] process to monitor. But
also....we've got to be able to detect and prevent."

*

Senator Jay Rockefeller, in a letter to Dick Cheney after being
briefed on the program in 2003: "As I reflected on the meeting today,
and the future we face, John Poindexter's TIA project sprung to mind,
exacerbating my concern regarding the direction the Administration is
moving with regard to security, technology, and surveiliance."

*

New York Times editor Bill Keller, explaining why the Times
finally published its story last week after holding it back for over a
year: "In the course of subsequent reporting we satisfied ourselves
that we could write about this program =3DE2=3D80" withholding a number of
technical details =3DE2=3D80" in a way that would not expose any
intelligence-gathering methods or capabilities that are not already on
the public record."

None of these quotes makes sense if the NSA program involved nothing
more than an expansion of ordinary taps of specific individuals. After
all, the FISA court would have approved taps of
domestic-to-international calls as quickly and easily as they do with
normal domestic wiretaps. What's more, Congress wouldn't have had any
objection to supporting a routine program expansion; George Bush
wouldn't have explained it with gobbledegook about the difference
between monitoring and detecting; Jay Rockefeller wouldn't have been
reminded of TIA; and the Times wouldn't have had any issues over
divulging sensitive technology.

It seems clear that there's something involved here that goes far
beyond ordinary wiretaps, regardless of the technology used. Perhaps
some kind of massive data mining, which makes it impossible to get
individual warrants? Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Lots of people have suggested that the NSA program has
something to do with Echelon, a massive project that vacuums up
communications of all kinds from all over the globe. The problem is
that Echelon has been around for a long time and no one has ever
complained about it before =3DE2=3D80" so whatever this new program
is, it'=
something more than vanilla Echelon. What's more, it's something
disturbing enough that a few weeks after 9/11 the administration
apparently felt that even Republicans in Congress wouldn't approve of
it. What kind of program is so intrusive that even Republicans, even
with 9/11 still freshly in mind, wouldn't have supported it?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/X6CDDD/lzNLAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM