Imad Mughniyeh, a major Hizbullah leader and architect of the Marine
Barracks bombing in Beirut, is also a senior operations leader in al-
Qaeda since 1997 and has been coordinating Hizbullah and al-Qaeda
support to Zarqawi and other Iraqi insurgent elements on both the
Sunni and Shia sides.
The premise that al-Qaeda would never work with Iran is hogwash. Al-
Qaeda leaders sought safe haven in Iran when the U.S. invaded
Afghanistan and have launched operations in Saudi Arabia, Iraq and
elsewhere from Iran.
Indeed, the article is "sheer and utter nonsense."

David Bier

--- In osint@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Tefft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sheer and utter nonsense.  As an Iranian proxy, Hizballah is the
conduit for
> al-Qaeda into Lebanon...
>
> Bruce
>

> http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1
> <http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?
edition_id=1&categ_id=2&article_id=
> 21003> &categ_id=2&article_id=21003
>

> Hizbullah is Lebanon's bulwark against Al-Qaeda
> 'We do not have any relations with that group'
>
> By Clancy Chassay
> Special to The Daily Star
> Saturday, December 24, 2005
>
> Hizbullah is Lebanon's bulwark against Al-QaedaANALYSIS
>
> Since the events of September 11, 2001, there have been numerous
attempts to
> link Hizbullah to Al-Qaeda - some more plausible than others.
Investigation,
> however, reveals considerable animosity between the two groups, and
two
> leading academics on the subject suggest Hizbullah may be Lebanon's
best
> protection against an Al-Qaeda presence in the country.
>
> On October 28, the Kuwaiti newspaper As-Siyassa reported Hizbullah
was
> training Arab fighters for Al-Qaeda in Iran. In August the same
paper ran a
> story with the headline: "Most of [Al-Qaeda's commander in Iraq Abu
Musab]
> Zarqawi's men are Palestinians trained by Hizbullah."
>
> Then last week, the Shiite weekly Ash-Shiira claimed Al-Qaeda had
set up a
> major base of operations in Lebanon and that alleged Hizbullah
associate
> Imad Moughniye was now representing Al-Qaeda in talks with
potentially
> sympathetic Palestinian groups in the country.
>
> Hizbullah's director of media relations Mohammad Afif Naboulsi
firmly denies
> the alleged links to the militant jihadi network, "We do not have
any
> relation with that group, not in the present nor in the past. They
are
> working toward tearing the Islamic Nation apart, dividing Muslims
into
> numerous sects and mutilating the face of Islam in the world."
>
> Amal Ghorayeb of the Lebanese American University believes any
operational
> cooperation between the two groups is out of the
question. "Hizbullah would
> in no way share Al-Qaeda's goals. The Americans have to understand
Al-Qaeda
> is a threat to American security, Hizbullah is simply a threat to
American
> interests," says Ghorayeb.
>
> An expert and writer on Hizbullah, Ghorayeb says: "Al-Qaeda would
never work
> with Hizbullah; their greatest enemies are the Shiites. There is a
very
> strong cultural and religious animosity on the side of Al-Qaeda."
>
> Last week a Shiite cleric in Lebanon received a death threat from an
> Al-Qaeda-type Salafi jihadist group confirming this hostility.
>
> And on July 27, Al-Mustaqbal reported that a group calling itself
the
> "Al-Qaeda Organization in the Levant, Umar Brigade - Lebanon
Province" had
> announced plans to assassinate senior members of Hizbullah along
with the
> country's most senior Shiite clerics and politicians.
>
> The statement accuses senior Hizbullah officials of "treason with
the US,
> British and Israeli enemies of Islam against the victorious
resistance and
> its great leaders ... our master Imam Osama bin Laden and the
mujahid Sheikh
> Abu-Musab al-Zarqawi."
>
> Afif dismisses the statement as "fabricated locally" but
says: "These groups
> have issued threats before and they find it very easy to kill so we
must
> take them seriously."
>
> According to Dr. Redwan Sayyed, considered Lebanon's foremost
expert on
> Al-Qaeda and a professor of Islamic history at the Lebanese
university,
> Salafi Jihadi ideologues, described as the intellectual voices of
Al-Qaeda,
> view Hizbullah with deep disdain and are threatened by the Shiite
group's
> popularity on the Sunni Arab street.
>

> Contributors to pro Al-Qaeda Web sites such as Global Islamic Media
> regularly refer to Hizbullah as Hizb al-Shaytan or "party of the
devil" and
> in 2004, a leading scholar of jihadists in Saudi Arabia Abed al-
Munim
> Mustafa Halimah published an article "the Lebanese Hizbullah
rejectionist
> school" condemning Hizbullah for being nationalist, serving local
interests
> and for their relationship with apostate Shiite Iran and the
secular Assad
> regime in Syria.
>
> Halimah, known as Abu Basir, accuses Hizbullah's leader Sayyed
Hassan
> Nasrallah of exploiting the January 2004 prisoner exchange with
Israel
> solely for his organization's goal of exporting "Shiite Islam" to
the Muslim
> world.
>
> Sayyed says Hizbullah regards Al-Qaeda with similar contempt and
has been
> preventing the network from gaining a foothold in the country.
>
> "Al-Qaeda could not maintain a base in Lebanon because Hizbullah is
against
> Al-Qaeda and has always worked to hinder Syria's accommodation of
Al-Qaeda
> in Lebanon. One of the reasons Al-Qaeda has not been allowed by
Syria to
> operate in Lebanon under the Sunnis is because of Hizbullah
objection."

> Sayyed believes "Hizbullah is not only a big military power, it is
also a
> very big intelligence power and is using its intelligence network
to keep
> Al- Qaeda out of Lebanon."
>
> Ghorayeb agrees with this assessment, saying Hizbullah has been
using its
> extensive intelligence network to counter Al-Qaeda growth in the
country.
> "Nasrallah, drawing from Hizbullah intelligence, warned Al-Qaeda
was trying
> to infiltrate Lebanon."
>
> Sayyed says: "Hizbullah has a policy of taking action against
Lebanese Sunni
> individuals who even claim to have links with Al-Qaeda, either by
warning
> the individuals or telling the Syrians that if they didn't stop
them 'then
> we will.'"
>
> Hizbullah says they would act to prevent an Al-Qaeda attack but,
apparently
> cautious of being drawn into an intra-Muslim sectarian conflict,
the group
> says the organization needs to be defeated on an intellectual level.
>
> Afif claims the party has been approached by mediators from the
CIA "who
> asked us to collaborate by supplying them with information about
Islamic
> groups."
>
> He adds: "We will not be taken into a sectarian war between
Muslims, but we
> believe it is the responsibility of the Islamic theologians, the
Sunnis, as
> well as social figures and media to play a role in raising
awareness about
> the dangers of these ideas."
>
> Ghorayeb says Hizbullah is playing a delicate balancing game between
> Lebanon's Sunni and Shiite communities.
>
> "There are many instances of this Sunni-Shiite tension in Lebanon
now,
> Hizbullah is really trying to safeguard the relations between the
two
> groups. Now, I can tell you, the tension is a lot more palpable
than it
> was," says Ghorayeb.
>
>  FAIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics
in this
> message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All
rights to
> these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have
been placed
> within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance
with
> "Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act
of 1976.
> The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107
of The
> Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to
obtain
> permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted
materials
> if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news
reporting,
> teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four
criteria
> for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case
qualifies
> as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy
all four
> criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair
use" is
> determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or
does not
> substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish
to use
> copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair
use,' you
> must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more
information go to:
> http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
>
> THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.  COPYING AND
DISSEMINATION

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM