"Terrorists can use converts who "have added operational benefits in
very tight security situations" where they might not attract
attention, says Magnus Ranstorp, a terrorism expert at the Swedish
National Defense College in Stockholm."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20051227/wl_csm/oconverts

Why European women are turning to Islam

By Peter Ford, Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
Tue Dec 27, 3:00 AM ET

Mary Fallot looks as unlike a terrorist suspect as one could possibly
imagine: a petite and demure white Frenchwoman chatting with friends
on a cell-phone, indistinguishable from any other young woman in the
café where she sits sipping coffee.

And that is exactly why European antiterrorist authorities have their
eyes on thousands like her across the continent.

Ms. Fallot is a recent convert to Islam. In the eyes of the police,
that makes her potentially dangerous.

The death of Muriel Degauque, a Belgian convert who blew herself up
in a suicide attack on US troops in Iraq last month, has drawn fresh
attention to the rising number of Islamic converts in Europe, most of
them women.

"The phenomenon is booming, and it worries us," the head of the
French domestic intelligence agency, Pascal Mailhos, told the Paris-
based newspaper Le Monde in a recent interview. "But we must
absolutely avoid lumping everyone together."

The difficulty, security experts explain, is that while the police
may be alert to possible threats from young men of Middle Eastern
origin, they are more relaxed about white European women. Terrorists
can use converts who "have added operational benefits in very tight
security situations" where they might not attract attention, says
Magnus Ranstorp, a terrorism expert at the Swedish National Defense
College in Stockholm.

Ms. Fallot, who converted to Islam three years ago after asking
herself spiritual questions to which she found no answers in her
childhood Catholicism, says she finds the suspicion her new religion
attracts "wounding." "For me," she adds, "Islam is a message of love,
of tolerance and peace."

It is a message that appeals to more and more Europeans as curiosity
about Islam has grown since 9/11, say both Muslim and non-Muslim
researchers. Although there are no precise figures, observers who
monitor Europe's Muslim population estimate that several thousand men
and women convert each year.

Only a fraction of converts are attracted to radical strands of
Islam, they point out, and even fewer are drawn into violence. A
handful have been convicted of terrorist offenses, such as Richard
Reid, the "shoe bomber" and American John Walker Lindh, who was
captured in Afghanistan.

Admittedly patchy research suggests that more women than men convert,
experts say, but that - contrary to popular perception - only a
minority do so in order to marry Muslim men.

"That used to be the most common way, but recently more [women] are
coming out of conviction," says Haifa Jawad, who teaches at
Birmingham University in Britain. Though non-Muslim men must convert
in order to marry a Muslim woman, she points out, the opposite is not
true.

Fallot laughs when she is asked whether her love life had anything to
do with her decision. "When I told my colleagues at work that I had
converted, their first reaction was to ask whether I had a Muslim
boyfriend," she recalls. "They couldn't believe I had done it of my
own free will."

In fact, she explains, she liked the way "Islam demands a closeness
to God. Islam is simpler, more rigorous, and it's easier because it
is explicit. I was looking for a framework; man needs rules and
behavior to follow. Christianity did not give me the same reference
points."

Those reasons reflect many female converts' thinking, say experts who
have studied the phenomenon. "A lot of women are reacting to the
moral uncertainties of Western society," says Dr. Jawad. "They like
the sense of belonging and caring and sharing that Islam offers."

Others are attracted by "a certain idea of womanhood and manhood that
Islam offers," suggests Karin van Nieuwkerk, who has studied Dutch
women converts. "There is more space for family and motherhood in
Islam, and women are not sex objects."

At the same time, argues Sarah Joseph, an English convert who
founded "Emel," a Muslim lifestyle magazine, "the idea that all women
converts are looking for a nice cocooned lifestyle away from the
excesses of Western feminism is not exactly accurate."

Some converts give their decision a political meaning, says Stefano
Allievi, a professor at Padua University in Italy. "Islam offers a
spiritualization of politics, the idea of a sacred order," he
says. "But that is a very masculine way to understand the world" and
rarely appeals to women, he adds.

After making their decision, some converts take things slowly,
adopting Muslim customs bit by bit: Fallot, for example, does not yet
feel ready to wear a head scarf, though she is wearing longer and
looser clothes than she used to.

Others jump right in, eager for the exoticism of a new religion, and
become much more pious than fellow mosque-goers who were born into
Islam. Such converts, taking an absolutist approach, appear to be the
ones most easily led into extremism.

The early stages of a convert's discovery of Islam "can be quite a
sensitive time," says Batool al-Toma, who runs the "New Muslims"
program at the Islamic Foundation in Leicester, England.

"You are not confident of your knowledge, you are a newcomer, and you
could be prey to a lot of different people either acting individually
or as members of an organization," Ms. Al-Toma explains. A few
converts feel "such a huge desire to fit in and be accepted that they
are ready to do just about anything," she says.

"New converts feel they have to prove themselves," adds Dr.
Ranstorp. "Those who seek more extreme ways of proving themselves can
become extraordinarily easy prey to manipulation."

At the same time, says al-Toma, converts seeking respite in Islam
from a troubled past - such as Degauque, who had reportedly drifted
in and out of drugs and jobs before converting to Islam - might be
persuaded that such an "ultimate action" as a suicide bomb attack
offered an opportunity for salvation and forgiveness.

"The saddest conclusion" al-Toma draws from Degauque's death in Iraq
is that "a woman who set out on the road to inner peace became a
victim of people who set out to use and abuse her."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/g0CDCD/tzNLAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM