http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1461468

Commander: al-Qaida Stymied in Iraq's West

U.S. Commander Says Offensives Near Syrian Border Have 'Neutralized'
al-Qaida in Western Iraq

By KIM GAMEL Associated Press Writer
 The Associated Press
AL ASAD, Iraq Jan 1, 2006 — Recent offensives near the Iraqi border
with Syria have dealt a significant blow to al-Qaida and cut off the
group's ability to smuggle in foreigners through the volatile western
area to join the insurgency, a U.S. commander said Sunday.

Maj. Gen. Steve Johnson, commander of the Second Marine Expeditionary
Force Forward, said the operations had "neutralized" the group's
ability to use the vast Euphrates River valley to organize and attract
followers.

The fighting helped restore Iraqi control of the border with Syria to
eliminate smuggling lines and paved the way for successful Sunni Arab
regional participation in Dec. 15 parliamentary elections, he said in
an interview with a small group of reporters at this dusty U.S. base
in al Asad, in western Anbar province near the Syrian border.

He said U.S. forces had "dealt the enemy a … significant blow out here
in the western Euphrates, knocked him off of his stride, took away his
areas where he was congregating, made it difficult for him to
organize, and cut into his rat lines that run through this particular
part of the country."

He also said the number of suicide bombings had gone down, without
giving specific numbers.
Brig. Gen. Boomer Milstead agreed.
"There's been a significant decrease in the smuggling of fighters from
Syria," he said.

The expeditionary force leaders spoke on the sidelines of a visit by
the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Gen. Peter Pace, who is on
a weeklong holiday tour with a group of entertainers to rally troops.
The trip began Wednesday in Qatar, and included visits to Bahrain,
Afghanistan and the east African nation of Djibouti.

Johnson said a largely local insurgency persisted in western Iraq,
although they sometimes worked with al-Qaida and other rogue elements.
"I think there's a marriage of convenience between a number of them,"
he said, adding he did not believe al-Qaida was a dominant factor.

"I believe we have neutralized his ability to do the things that he
wanted to do out here. They've gone on to other places where it's
easier to operate," he said, declining to elaborate on where those
areas might be.