"We respect Congressman DeLay's decision to put the interests of the
American people, the House of Representatives and the Republican Party
first,"

But CIC Bush43 so far has only returned about $6000 of the over
$100,000 its "Pioneer" Abramoff arranged to be contributed to the CIC
Bush43 re-election campaign.  Guess returning the rest would be a bit
dangerous because Abramoff consolidated contributions from several
other persons and their identities would be exposed if the monies were
returned.
DeLay blames his troubles on Democrats but I did not know Abramoff had
registered with the DNC.

David Bier

http://english.epochtimes.com/news/6-1-7/36640.html

DeLay Relinquishes House Majority Leader Post

        Jan 07, 2006

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay, now under indictment in Texas and
tainted by a corruption scandal, told fellow House of Representatives
Republicans on Saturday that he will not try to reclaim his job as
majority leader.

"Today I have asked Speaker (Dennis) Hastert to convene our conference
for the purpose of electing a new majority leader," DeLay, a close
ally of President George W. Bush and one of the most powerful
conservatives in Congress, said in a letter to House Republican leaders.

DeLay's decision to resign after three years of tumultuous reign as
majority leader set off a scramble among at least a handful of
Republicans who want to capture the second most powerful post in the
House.

Whoever wins will face the difficult job of steering the party past
the influence-peddling scandal involving Republican lobbyist Jack
Abramoff that has rocked Washington just as all 435 members of the
House gear up for November elections.

Abramoff earlier this week pleaded guilty to fraud charges and
admitted that he gave golf trips, sports tickets and other gifts to
lawmakers in return for special treatment. His potential cooperation
with federal investigators left lawmakers rattled and many returned
campaign contributions from Abramoff clients.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, said DeLay
had "engineered" a "culture of corruption ... so pervasive in the
Republican conference that a single person stepping down is not nearly
enough to clean up the Republican Congress."

The White House, which earlier in the week said it would be shedding
some Abramoff campaign contributions, supported DeLay's action. "We
respect Congressman DeLay's decision to put the interests of the
American people, the House of Representatives and the Republican Party
first," said spokeswoman Erin Healy.

House Job Open

Acting Majority Leader Roy Blunt of Missouri is expected to seek
DeLay's job on a more permanent basis. Blunt took over the job in
September when DeLay was forced to temporarily resign after being
indicted in Texas in a campaign finance case. Those charges were
unrelated to the Abramoff scandal.

At the time, DeLay insisted that he would be cleared in the Texas case
and would retake the powerful majority leader job.

Ohio Republican John Boehner, chairman of an education and labor
committee, is also expected to mount a strong challenge for majority
leader.

Hastert, an Illinois Republican, said the elections likely will held
during the week of January 31 when the House reconvenes after a long
winter break.

Some House Republicans have talked about the need to elect all new
leaders, but key lawmakers this week said they did not think Hastert
would be challenged.

DeLay spokesman Kevin Madden said that the 58-year-old Texan, known
around Washington as "The Hammer" for his tight control of the House
and ability to vanquish political opponents, will retain his seat in
the House and is "running for re-election."

DeLay's decision to leave the Republican leadership came after a group
of moderate and conservative House Republicans abandoned their leader
and called for elections to replace him.

DeLay's support among rank-and-file Republicans evaporated after
Abramoff's guilty pleas this week. At least two former aides of DeLay
are entangled in the Abramoff scandal and DeLay has referred to the
former lobbyist as a close friend.

In his resignation letter, DeLay said he had "always acted in an
ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land.
I am fully confident time will bear this out."

DeLay, who has blamed his legal troubles on partisan Democrats, said
he "cannot allow our adversaries to divide and distract our attention"
from legislative work.