(johnmac -- It is ironic and, perhaps, tells us something that
Jimmy Carter is considered by most to have been an ineffectual
President yet is considered to be a good and deeply religious
person who has followed his faith to perform many good works
since his defeat by Ronald Reagan, using his stature as an
ex-president to make a difference).

>From the New York Review of Books --
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18670

Jimmy Carter & the Culture of Death
By Garry Wills

Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis
by Jimmy Carter
Simon and Schuster, 212 pp., $25.00

In 1972, I was asked by New York magazine to survey Southern
reactions to the attempted assassination of George Wallace. On
my list of people to call was Georgia governor Jimmy Carter.
When I called his press secretary, Jody Powell (a name I had
never heard before), I was told it would be better for me to
come to Atlanta than to talk on the phone. (Powell was
drumming up attention for his man, with a view to his running
for president.) When I arrived there, Powell had arranged for
me to fly with Carter in his little state prop plane to
Tifton, a small South Georgia town where there was a meeting
with local sheriffs. The sheriffs were unhappy with Carter's
liberal racial policies, and Powell obviously thought it would
be good for his reputation nationally to be seen as standing
up against regional prejudice.

Carter used all his local ties to defang the criticsthe
sheriffs did not openly turn against himand I was impressed.
On the flight back, he said he wanted to drop off in the town
of Plains and see how his peanut business was doinga homey
touch the press would be treated to ad nauseam over the next
two years. I do not remember any mention of his local church
while we were in Plains. In fact, I cannot recall that
religion was brought up in all our hours together. Perhaps he
thought that was not something New York magazine readers would
respond to. At any rate, I was surprised when, four years
later, so much was made of his religion as he ran for
president. It began when he was asked, while visiting Baptist
friends, if he thought of himself as "born again." He answered
yesnot surprisingly, since the Gospel of John (3:5) says that
one must be born again to enter the kingdom of heaven, and
Saint Paul says that baptism is being reborn into Christ
(Romans 6:4). Reporters did not know this as a basic belief of
Christiansthey treated it as an odd cult claim.

That led to his second-most-famous remark of the 1976
campaign. Carter was asked in a Playboy interview if he
thought he was a holier-than-thou person because he was born
again. He answered that, no, in fact he had committed lust in
his heartagain quoting the New Testament (Matthew 5:28). That
did it. For much of the Carter presidency, the line of some in
the press (and, as I know well, in the academy) was that he
was a religious nut. I followed him in the 1976 race and heard
a reporter ask Carter why he constantly brought up religion.
He replied that he had made a determination never to bring up
religion in the campaign. But the reporters kept asking him
about it, and he had to answer them or be criticized for
dodging the issue.

His attendance at church was not announced; we reporters had
to ferret that out by ourselves. Carter is an old-fashioned
Baptist, the kind that follows the lead of the great Baptist
Roger Williamsthat is, he is the firmest of believers in the
separation of church and state. Unlike most if not all modern
presidents, he never had a prayer service in the White House.
His problem, back then, was not that he paraded his belief but
that he believed. All this can seem quaint now when professing
religion is practically a political necessity, whether one
believes or not. There is now an inverse proportion between
religiosity and sincerity.

Carter rightly says in Our Endangered Values that the norms of
religion and politics are different. His religion, at any
rate, places its greatest priority on love, of God and one's
neighbor, even to the point of self-sacrifice. But a president
cannot make his nation sacrifice itselfthat would be
dereliction of duty. The priority of politics is justice, and
love goes beyond that. But love can help one find out what is
just, without equating the two. That is why none of us, even
those who believe in the separation of church and state,
professes a separation of morality and politics. Insofar as
believersthe great majority of Americansderive many if not
most of their moral insights from their beliefs, they must
mingle religion and politics, again without equating the two.

In his new book, Carter addresses religion and politics
together in a way that he has not done before, because he
thinks that some Americans, and especially his fellow
Baptists, have equated the two in a way that contradicts
traditional Baptist beliefs in the autonomy of local churches,
in the opposition to domination by religious leaders, and in
the fellowship of love without reliance on compulsion,
political or otherwise. In 2000, these tenets were expressly
renounced by the largest Baptist body, the Southern Baptist
Convention, which removed a former commitment to belief that
"the sole authority for faith and practice among Baptists is
Jesus Christ, whose will is revealed in the Holy Scriptures."
What was being substituted, Carter writes, was "domination by
all-male pastors." As a leading spokesman, W.A. Criswell, put
it: "Lay leadership of the church is unbiblical when it
weakens the pastor's authority as ruler of the church." The
Southern Baptists, Carter laments, have become as
authoritarian as their former antitype, the Roman Catholic
hierarchy. The Southern Baptist Convention has severed its
ancient ties with the Baptist World Alliance.

The marks of this new fundamentalism, according to Carter, are
rigidity, self-righteousness, and an eagerness to use
compulsion (including political compulsion). Its spokesmen are
contemptuous of all who do not agree with them one hundred
percent. Pat Robertson, on his 700 Club, typified the new
"popes" when he proclaimed: "You say you're supposed to be
nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the
Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I
don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist." Carter
got a firsthand taste of such intolerance when the president
of the Southern Baptist Convention visited him in the White
House to tell him, "We are praying, Mr. President, that you
will abandon secular humanism as your religion."

Such attitudes are far from the ones recommended by Jesus in
the gospels as Carter has studied and taught them through the
decades, and their proponents have brought similar attitudes
into the political world, where a matching political
fundamentalism has taken over much of the electoral process.
Such dictatorial attitudes defeat the stated goals of the
fundamentalists themselves. On abortion, for instance, Carter
argues that a "pro-life" dogmatism defeats human life and
values at many turns. Carter is opposed to abortion, as what
he calls a tragedy "brought about by a combination of human
errors." But the "pro-life" forces compound rather than reduce
the errors. The most common abortions, and the most common
reasons cited for undergoing them, are caused by economic
pressure compounded by ignorance.

Yet the anti-life movement that calls itself pro-life protects
ignorance by opposing family planning, sex education, and
informed use of contraceptives, tactics that not only increase
the likelihood of abortion but tragedies like AIDS and other
sexually transmitted diseases. The rigid system of the
"pro-life" movement makes poverty harsher as well, with low
minimum wages, opposition to maternity leaves, and lack of
health services and insurance. In combination, these policies
make ideal conditions for promoting abortion, as one can see
from the contrast with countries that do have sex education
and medical insurance. Carter writes:
Canadian and European young people are about equally active
sexually, but, deprived of proper sex education, American
girls are five times as likely to have a baby as French girls,
seven times as likely to have an abortion, and seventy times
as likely to have gonorrhea as girls in the Netherlands. Also,
the incidence of HIV/ AIDS among American teenagers is five
times that of the same age group in Germany.... It has long
been known that there are fewer abortions in nations where
prospective mothers have access to contraceptives, the
assurance that they and their babies will have good health
care, and at least enough income to meet their basic needs.

The result of a rigid fundamentalism combined with poverty and
ignorance can be seen where the law forbids abortion:
In some predominantly Roman Catholic countries where all
abortions are illegal and few social services are available,
such as Peru, Brazil, Chile, and Colombia, the abortion rate
is fifty per thousand. According to the World Health
Organization, this is the highest ratio of unsafe abortions
[in the world].

A New York Times article that came out after Carter's book
appeared further confirms what he is saying: "Four million
abortions, most of them illegal, take place in Latin America
annually, the United Nations reports, and up to 5,000 women
are believed to die each year from complications from
abortions."[*] This takes place in countries where churches
and schools teach abstinence as the only form of
contraceptiondemonstrating conclusively the ineffectiveness of
that kind of program.

By contrast, in the United States, where abortion is legal and
sex education is broader, the abortion rate reached a
twenty-four-year low during the 1990s. Yet the ironically
named "pro-life" movement would return the United States to
the condition of Chile or Colombia. And not only that, the
fundamentalists try to impose the anti-life program in other
countries by refusing foreign aid to programs that teach
family planning, safe sex, and contraceptive knowledge. They
also oppose life-saving advances through the use of stem cell
research. With friends like these, "life" is in thrall to
death. Carter finds these results neither loving (in religious
terms) nor just (in political terms).

Carter finds the same rigid and self-righteousand
self-defeatingpolicies at work across the current political
spectrum. The pro-life forces have no problem with a gun
industry and capital punishment legislation that are, in fact,
provably pro-death. Carter, a lifelong hunter, does not want
to outlaw guns and he knows that Americans would never do
that. But timorous politicians, cowering before the NRA,
defeat even the most sensible limitations on weapons useful
neither for hunting nor for personal self-defense (AK-47s,
AR-15s, Uzis), even though, as Carter shows, more than 1,100
police chiefs and sheriffs told Congress that these weapons
are obstacles to law enforcement. The NRA opposed background
checks to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and
terrorists and illegals, and then insisted that background
checks, if they were imposed, had to be destroyed within
twenty-four hours. The result of such pro-death measures,
Carter writes, is grimly evident: "American children are
sixteen times more likely than children in other
industrialized nations to be murdered with a gun, eleven times
more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more
likely to die from firearms accidents." Where are the friends
of the fetus when children are dying in such numbers?

Carter observes that "the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy
and Research reports that the rate of firearms homicide in the
United States is nineteen times higher than that of 35 other
high-income countries combined" (emphasis added). In the most
recent year for which figures are available, these are the
numbers for firearms homicides:

  Ireland 54
  Japan  83
  Sweden  183
  Great Britain  197
  Australia 334
  Canada 1,034
  United States 30,419

Once again, Carter finds no support for the policies that make
such a result possible in the US, in terms of either a loving
religion or a just society.

Capital punishment is also a pro-death program. It does not
protect life. It aligns us with authoritarian regimes: "Ninety
percent of all known executions are carried out in just four
countries: China, Iran, Saudi Arabiaand the United States"
(emphasis added). Execution does not deter, as many studies
have proved. In states that abolished it, Carter writes,
capital crimes did not increase:
The homicide rate is at least five times greater in the United
States than in any European country, none of which authorizes
the death penalty. The Southern states carry out over 80
percent of the executions but have a higher murder rate than
any other region. Texas has by far the most executions, but
its homicide rate is twice that of Wisconsin, the first state
to abolish the death penalty. It is not a matter of geography
or ethnicity, as is indicated by similar and adjacent states:
the number of capital crimes is higher, respectively, in South
Dakota, Connecticut, and Virginia (all with the death
sentence) than in the adjacent states of North Dakota,
Massachusetts, and West Virginia (without the death penalty).

How can a loving religion or a just state support such a
culture of death? Only a self-righteous and punitive
fundamentalism, not an ethos of the gospels, can explain this.

It is in foreign affairs that Carter finds the most
self-righteous, rigid, and self-defeating effects of a
religio-political fundamentalism. It is the gap between rich
and poor in the world that presents the main threat to our
future, yet American policies increase that gap, at home and
abroad. We give proportionally less money in foreign aid than
do other developed countries, and our ability to give is being
decreased by our growing deficit, incurred to reward our own
wealthy families with disproportionate tax cuts. Carter points
out that much of the aid announced or authorized never reaches
its targets. This reflects a general smugness about America's
privileged position. We are dismissive of other countries'
concern with the world environment, with nuclear containment,
and with international law. Carter gives specifics gathered
from his world travels and from the experts' forums he
regularly assembles at the Carter Center in Atlanta.

We have, for example, declared our right to first use of
nuclear weapons. We have used aid money to bribe people
against holding us accountable to international law. We have
run secret detention centers where hundreds of people are held
without formal charges or legal representation. We have
rewarded with high office men who, like Alberto Gonzales, say
that the Geneva Conventions on treatment of prisoners are
"obsolete" or even "quaint," or who, like John Bolton, say
that it is "a big mistake for us to grant any validity to
international law even when it may seem in our short-term
interest to do so."

The result, as Carter writes, has been to turn a vast fund of
international good will accruing to us after September 11 into
fear of and contempt for America unparalleled in modern times.
We undermine the inspection teams of the UN and the IAEA with
the result that we blunder into Iraq on bad information
gathered from self-serving hacks buttering up our officialdom.
On the eve of our attack on Iraq, Carter published an Op-Ed
piece in The New York Times arguing in terms of the just war
tradition that a preemptive and unilateral invasion was
unjustified. Going to war was not a last resort (inspections
could have continued to contain Saddam until the proof of
WMDs, or the lack of them, could be established). War was not
authorized by international authorities for eliminating
nuclear weapons, but was an opportunity seized in order "to
achieve regime change and to establish a Pax Americana in the
region." It did not promise proportional violence with a clear
hope of providing better conditions than the ones it was
remedying. Carter's was a calm and moral judgment about the
war, which most Americans now believe was the right one. In
retrospect, a majority think the war was a mistake. We should
have listened to Carter.

We pretend we are against nuclear proliferation, yet we spur
it on when others see our disregard for the very international
agreements that promote it:
The end of America's "no first use" nuclear weapons policy has
aroused a somewhat predictable response in other nations.
Chinese major general Zhu Chenghu announced in July 2005 that
China's government was under internal pressure to change its
"no first use" policy: "If the Americans draw their missiles
and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on
China's territory, I think we will have to respond with
nuclear weapons."

We attack terrorism not by cooperation with other countries'
security teams, which often have better information on
worldwide terrorist activities than we do, but with unilateral
and preemptive uses of force that just increase terrorism.
This is a new culture of death: "The US National
Counterterrorism Center," Carter writes, "reported that the
number of serious international terrorist incidents more than
tripled in 2004. 'Significant' attacks grew to more than 650,
up from the previous record of 175 in 2003."

We claim to be spreading democracy in the Middle East, but a
Zogby international poll in 2005 showed that an overwhelming
majority of Arabs did not believe that US policy in Iraq was
motivated by the spread of democracy in the region, and
believed that the Middle East had become less democratic after
the Iraq war. The approval rating of America plummeted at the
very time we were supposedly bringing the blessings of freedom
thereit stood, Carter notes, at "2 percent in Egypt, 4 percent
in Saudi Arabia, 11 percent in Morocco, 14 percent in the
United Arab Emirates, 15 percent in Jordan, with a high of
only 20 percent in [our friend] Lebanon." These developments
have taken place as America enacted a retreat from earlier
commitments, under both Republican and Democratic presidents,
that parallels what Carter describes as the retreat of
evangelicals from earlier fidelity to gospel values such as
life, compassion, tolerance, and inclusiveness.

Carter is a patriot. He lists all the things that Americans
have to be proud of. That is why he is so concerned that we
are squandering our treasures, moral even more than economic.
He has come to the defense of our national values, which he
finds endangered. He proves that a devout Christian does not
need to be a fundamentalist or fanatic, any more than a
patriotic American has to be punitive, narrow, and
self-righteous. He defends the separation of church and state
because he sees with nuanced precision the interactions of
faith, morality, politics, and pragmatism. That is a
combination that once was not rare, but is becoming more so.
We need a voice from the not-so-distant past, and this quiet
voice strikes just the right notes.
Notes

[*] Juan Forero, "Latin American Women Mount Campaign to
Legalize Abortion," The New York Times, December 3, 2005, page
A8

Copyright  1963-2006 NYREV, Inc.
*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use
has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The
'johnmacsgroup' Internet discussion group is making it available without
profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of
literary, educational, political, and economic issues, for non-profit
research and educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a
'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of
the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for
purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission
from the copyright owner.

    "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
    "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
     -- Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    "You Gotta Believe" - Frank "Tug" McGraw (1944 - 2004 RIP)
    "We do not have to change because staying in business is not compulsory"
      -- W. Edwards Deming (1900 - 1993)
    "Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest"
      -- Samuel Clemens
                           John F. McMullen
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     ICQ: 4368412 Skype, AIM, Yahoo Messenger & Google Talk: johnmac13
                  BLOG: http://johnmacrants.blogspot.com/