http://www.geostrategy-direct.com

DOSSIER: Osama Bin Laden

Analysts fear hidden signals on Bin Laden tape

Intelligence analysts cite the start of Bin Laden's statement: "Peace
be upon those who follow guidance."

Osama Bin Laden
•  Affiliation: Al Qaida
•  Age: 47
•  Whereabouts: Believed along Afghan-Pakistani border

After a year of silence, Osama Bin Laden has issued a mild, even
conciliatory, message to the world that has the U.S. intelligence
community worried.
The concern is that Bin Laden has embedded messages designed to order
his operatives into immediate action.

Intelligence analysts cite the start of Bin Laden's statement: "Peace
be upon those who follow guidance." That greeting was used twice in
Bin Laden messages in 2004. Each time, the message came after or
before a major attack.
Bin Laden's last previous audio message was in December 2004. His last
video message was in October 2004, days before the U.S. presidential
election.

"We know that Al Qaida has been planning a major attack in the United
States," one official said. "We also believe Al Qaida has established
an infrastructure in North America. Therefore, when Bin Laden
reappears after such a long absence, there must be a very good reason."
The IntelCenter, a contractor for the U.S. intelligence community, has
determined a pattern in Al Qaida statements. The study linked
statements by Bin Laden and his chief deputy Ayman Zawahiri to major
Al Qaida attacks in Europe and the Middle East.
In his latest message, Bin Laden pledged that Al Qaida would soon
attack the United States. He said his group was planning strikes and
asserted that Al Qaida had infiltrated America.

Undated fram grab of Al Qaida chief Osama Bin Laden. AFP/Al-Jazeera

"The delay in similar operations happening in America has not been
because of failure to break through your security measures," Bin Laden
said.
"The operations are under preparation and you will see them in your
homes the minute they are through [with preparations]."
Officials said Bin Laden certainly wanted to prove that he was alive
following U.S. missile strikes in Pakistan on Jan. 13. Four senior Al
Qaida operatives were reportedly killed in the missile attack, which
unsuccessfully targeted Zawahiri.

Pakistani intelligence has determined that Zawahiri was to have been
in Damadola, Pakistan for a high-level strategy meeting. The meeting
near the Afghan border was convened to determine Al Qaida targets in
Afghanistan and Pakistan in 2006.
One of the operatives reportedly killed in the U.S. strike was
Zawahiri's son-in-law, Midhat Mursi. Mursi was Al Qaida's expert on
chemical weapons.
Zawahiri has also sought to assure his supporters that he is alive. On
Jan. 20, an Islamic website released a tape by Zawahiri. But he did
not refer to the U.S. strike in Damadola and officials said the tape
might have been made years ago.

Another question intelligence officials are tackling is when the Bin
Laden message was taped. If the tape was made during the past week, it
could signal an imminent attack, something not expected by the U.S.
intelligence community.
"You cannot, obviously, make any promises that it won't happen again
in the future," Vice President Dick Cheney said. "But the fact of the
matter is, we've done some very good work at interrupting the
activities of the enemy, of disrupting proposed plots, of capturing
and killing Al Qaida," he said. "It is no accident that we have not
been hit for more than four years."

Poster released by the U.S. of Al Qaida Chief Osama Bin Laden. AFP/Ho

Cheney confirmed the voice on the tape was that of Bin Laden. But the
vice president raised the possibility that the tape was "pieced
together" from past statements of a much-weakened Al Qaida leader.
Other intelligence analysts said Bin Laden's real aim was to warn the
West that he remains a major threat. Over the past year, Bin Laden has
observed Al Qaida undermining Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and the Palestinian
Authority.
Bin Laden doesn't plan many attacks these days, officials said.
Instead, his chief operative is Iraqi network chief Abu Mussib Al
Zarqawi. Bin Laden has given him carte blanche to recruit anybody
anywhere.

U.S. Maj. Gen. Thomas Turner, commander of the Multinational Division
North and the 101st Airborne Division, said Al Zarqawi was probably in
northern Iraq. Turner acknowledged that Al Zarqawi has managed to find
haven in this huge area of Iraq, much of which is dominated by Sunni
tribes.
"We do suspect that Zarqawi is still present in our area of operations
somewhere," Turner said. "We continue to see organized networks of Al
Qaida. We are very successful I think at killing leadership. They do
have ways to regenerate."

A leading analyst on Al Qaida, B. Raman, said Bin Laden's message does
not appear to be culled from previous recordings.

Raman, a former Indian cabinet secretary and director of the Institute
for Topical Studies, cited Bin Laden's reference to a November 2005
report that President Bush sought to bomb Al-Jazeera.
What strikes Raman is the poor quality of Bin Laden's message, in
contrast to video and audio tapes by Zawahiri.
Raman concluded that the two men were not in the same place and don't
have access to the same facilities.

"The recording is of poor quality as compared to the recent video and
audio messages of Ayman Zawahiri, OBL's [Osama Bin Laden] No.2 and
OBL's own messages of the past," Raman said.
"This could be interpreted to indicate that OBL did not have at his
disposal the same quality of recording facilities and experts as
Zawahiri. Some analysts of the Islamic world have interpreted this as
indicating that the two are not at the same place."

In his message, Bin Laden gives the United States one more chance to
avoid an Al Qaida attack. He demands a withdrawal from Afghanistan and
Iraq and an end to interference in the Arab world.
"His ill-concealed warning is: If the condition is not met, the
preparations for another strike in U.S. territory will reach their
logical culmination and strengthened security measures cannot stop
it," Raman said.

The tone appears in line with Bin Laden's messages in 2004. Bin Laden
does not discuss the creation of an Islamic caliphate, and avoids
threats against Muslim states. He also does not make any demands
regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Instead, he focuses on
Afghanistan and Iraq.

"It warns of a terrorist strike in U.S. homeland at an appropriate
time, if his offer is rejected," Raman said. "It is as much a
psychological as an operational move by OBL. He has sought to give the
impression that he is speaking from a position of strength."