Basij - The Revolutionary People's Militia of Iran

By Dr. Wahied Wahdat-Hagh*

Introduction

Iran's annual Basij Week, initiated 27 years ago by Islamic Revolution
founder Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, was celebrated November 26-
December 1,
2006. The Basij (Persian for "mobilized"), which is made up of
volunteers
from all walks of life, including schoolchildren, students, teachers,
doctors, engineers, and other professionals, is a paramilitary
organization
which today numbers nine million; it is headed by Revolutionary Guards
(Pasdaran) general Mohammad Hejazi.(1) The Basij is organized
throughout
Iran on a regional basis, with its top command consisting of paid
high-ranking officers from the Revolutionary Guards. Along with the
Revolutionary Guards, the Basij is the ideological-military core of the
Islamic regime, glorifying values such as martyrdom and self-sacrifice
for
the sake of the lofty goals of Islam and the homeland. As such, it is
the
embodiment of the ethos and values of the Islamic Revolution.

The Basij's formative period was during the Iran-Iraq war (1980-1988),
when
self-sacrifice, the quintessential value of the Islamic Revolution,
came to
be the guiding principle of Iranian society, both on the Iraqi front
and in
daily life. Basij volunteers, mainly children and youth, were sent to
the
Iraqi front with a "key to Paradise" hanging around their necks. These
volunteers were sent to clear minefields or to serve as cannon fodder
in
mass attacks against Iraqi lines. Thousands of them found their deaths
in
suicide commando units. The Iranian regime glorifies the "martyrdom of
the
youngest Basij member Hossein Fahmideh," a 12 year old who, according
to the
regime, blew himself up under an Iraqi tank. Thus, Fahmideh became a
national hero and a role model for Iranian youth - whom the regime
encourages to defend the homeland and the values of the Islamic
Revolution.

Today, one of the organization's main functions is to act as "moral
police,"
enforcing - sometimes violently - Islamic cultural codes of behavior,
such
as the requirement that women veil themselves in public and the
prohibition
on male-female fraternization. Basij members played a central role in
breaking up the 1999 student riots, and are active in quelling
anti-regime
riots and demonstrations, mainly in the provinces.

Iranian Leader Ali Khamenei, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and Iranian
cabinet members often declare that they are Basij members and speak
warmly
of its culture. Ahmadinejad himself served in the Basij, as well as in
the
Qods (Jerusalem) Units of the Revolutionary Guards, during the
Iran-Iraq
war.

The following are excerpts from statements by senior Iranian public
figures
concerning "Basij culture":

Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei

At a November 28, 2005 meeting with a group of Basij members, Iranian
Leader
Ali Khamenei said: "The stronger the Basij become, the more secure our
country will be in the future... Our president and the Majlis members
are
proud of their Basij history. The reason for the success of the Basij
is its
members' faith and trust in God, and their strong hope and
intelligence,
which are the components of their culture."(2)

The weekly Partow-e Sokhan, the mouthpiece of Ayatollah Mesbah-e Yazdi,
who
is the spiritual mentor of the Iranian president and of the
Revolutionary
Guards, quoted an October 21, 2000 statement Khameini made during a
visit to
the Imam Ali's Companions Basij camp for indoctrination and military
training:

"The Basij are those members of our great, 65-million strong nation who
are
willing to sacrifice their lives and give up their property whenever
necessary. If there is a need for them to come [and be counted], they
will
do so. If there is a need for [national] reconstruction, they will
come.
When defense is concerned, they will come. If there is a need for them
enlist in scientific endeavors in order to protect the aims of the
state,
they will do so. They are ready to give whatever it takes for [these]
lofty
goals. Those who exhibit these traits are the ones known as the Basij."

During a July 28, 2000 visit to the Ardabil province, Khamanei told
Basij
cadres: "When it is a matter of values, when it is a matter of the
fundamental issues of the Revolution, when it is a matter of the rule
of
God's religion, when the enemy wants to exploit opportunities to [act]
against this great and glorious Revolution - the Basij will be there.
This
is where the Basij philosophy is manifest... The Basij way is to defend
the
achievements of the Revolution and its true essence."

In his annual Basij week message of 1995, Khamanei said: "The Basij is
the
essence of the regime's functioning. Everybody should be a member of
the
Basij. Both the government and other senior officials should be Basij
members."

At an August 24, 2005 Basij ceremony, he said: "The Basij is unlimited.
It
includes both the young and the old. The Basij does not make a
distinction
between the sexes, and includes both men and women. The Basij does not
make
distinctions based on profession. All of Iran's ethnicities are
represented... All the professional unions are represented, at all
levels of
education, from the best and the brightest among the students and
scientific
elite, to young and enthusiastic activists from other fields. The Basij
is
the symbol of national existence, national resistance, and the people's
consciousness, as well as activity, spirituality, and devotion to the
cause."(3)

Assembly of Experts Chairman Ayatollah Ali Meshkini

Ayatollah Ali Meshkini, chairman of the Assembly of Experts which
elects the
supreme religious leader, described the "founding of the Basij units as
blessing from God and proof of His love for the Islamic Republic of
Iran,"
and called upon the entire nation to join the Basij.(4)

Guardian Council Secretary Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati

Guardian Council Secretary Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati said during his
Friday
sermon on December 2, 2005 that Iran could become a "powerful state in
the
coming years... thanks to Islam, to the revolution, and to the Basij
culture." He also described the 'achievements' of the Iranian nuclear
program as "an achievement of the young people who serve the Basij and
possess the Basij spirit and culture."(5)

Jannati stressed that "Ayatollah Khomeini [also] referred to himself as
Basij member. The Basij have the power to defend themselves against
pressure. This spirit of resistance also caused the International
Atomic
Energy Agency to retreat. The resistance of the Basij prevented [the
IAEA]
from passing a resolution against our peaceful nuclear activities."(6)

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that "Ayatollah Khomeini set the
cornerstone of Basij culture for the entire world, [so that]... the
spirit
of righteousness would be awakened in the Iranian people... Basij
[stands
for] righteousness and the struggle against injustice. Basij means love
of
humanity as a whole and willingness to die for one's homeland. It is
these
pure thoughts that give strength to the resistance of the Basij. Now
more
than ever, Basij culture and Basij thought must prevail in all
dimensions of
life, both at home and abroad...

"Today we are witnessing the culture of the Basij permeating all levels
of
government. In the international arena, our enemies are angry when they
see
how Basij culture has permeated all levels of our state administration.
They
are angry that the Muslim leaders of Iran are proud to serve the
people.
They are angry that the [Basij] take responsibility and defend the
interests
of the Iranian people. That is why they insult us. For the past 27
years
they have cunningly attempted to harm the Iranian people and the
Islamic
government of Iran from within and from without - but to no avail. Our
people have been able to defend themselves with the help of our Basij
culture.

"We have only one thing to say to our enemies: Has the time not come
for
them to bow to the dignity, will, and beliefs of the Iranian people? We
will
explain to them again that the Iranian people are a friendly and
cultured
people who think. The Iranian people want the best for all of
mankind... We
want brotherly and just relations with all peoples of the world. This
nation
does not intend to conquer any other country. However, if those who are
hostile to our nation want to trample on its interests, we will stand
up
against the rest of the world with all our might...

"I have only one other thing to say [to our enemies]: You are angry
with
us? - Fine, be angry. Our people posses the most lofty of human
attributes... Whenever we had problems in the course of our history,
our
loving and God-fearing national soul united us. Our nation has defended
itself against enemies and invaders and has always managed to overcome
all
its problems."(7)

Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar

Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar also declared his "support for
the
armed struggle of the Basij," and said: "The success of the defense
industry
has increased thanks to the mental strength and strong spirit of the
Basij."(8)

*Dr. Wahied Wahdat-Hagh is a political scientist and staff member of
MEMRI.

Endnotes:
(1) Kayhan (Iran), November 29, 2005. The Persian-language daily Kayhan
reported that nine million Iranians, including Iranian President
Ahmadinejad, marked Basij Week by forming a human chain over a distance
of
8,700 km. In Tehran alone, 1,250,000 people participated. Ayatollah
Khomeini
envisioned the Basij as army of 20-million volunteers.
(2) Kayhan (Iran), November 29, 2005.
(3) Partow-e Sokhan (Iran), November 30, 2005.
(4) Sharq (Iran), November 27, 2005.
(5) Jomhuriy-e Eslami (Iran), December 3, 2005.
(6) Jomhuriy-e Eslami (Iran), December 3, 2005.
(7) Sharq (Iran), November 27, 2005.
(8) Kayhan (Iran), November 27, 2005.

*********************
The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) is an independent,
non-profit organization that translates and analyzes the media of the
Middle
East.  Copies of articles and documents cited, as well as background
information, are available on request.

MEMRI holds copyrights on all translations. Materials may only be used
with
proper attribution.

The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI)
P.O. Box 27837, Washington, DC 20038-7837
Phone: (202) 955-9070
Fax: (202) 955-9077
E-Mail:
<http://us.f319.mail.yahoo.com/ym/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&YY=84766&order=