February 1, 2006: Islam and Cartoon Physics

by Laura Mansfield <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Those who have appointed themselves as protectors of the "good name" of
Islam have gone too far once again with the outcry over the cartoons
published in the Danish newspaper. But all of the uproar is bringing even
more attention to a series of cartoons that would have probably quickly been
forgotten had they just been ignored.

It appears that they are getting ready to once again learn one of the most
critical laws of "Cartoon Physics": for every action there is an equal and
opposite reaction.

In this case, the action is the widespread outcry over the cartoons that
some claim defame Islam. The ensuing reaction on the part of the West will
be interesting to watch.

The protesters have managed to accomplish the same thing with this that they
did when the Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa calling for the death of
author Salman Rushdie or insulting Islam in his book Satanic Verses.
Millions of people who would never have even thought about buying and
reading the book were compelled to go out and buy it, catapulting it onto
the best seller lists.

The cartoons, published first in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, have
sparked protests and boycotts of Danish products throughout the Islamic
world.

But honestly, what's the big deal here?

We've seen cartoons throughout the Muslim world demeaning everyone from
Jesus Christ to world leaders such as George W. Bush and Tony Blair, but the
western world barely notices.

We get insulted and then get over it. After all, freedom of the press is
something we value highly in the west. But in most of the Arab world, where
the masses are used to being spoon fed Pablum pre-approved by government
censors, I suppose we shouldn't expect more.

I would suggest that perhaps those who are interested in protecting the
"good name" of Islam consider going to the source of the problem: the
terrorists who are committing atrocities in the name of their religion.

But it appears that today's Islamic leaders would rather call for a death
sentence on cartoonists and writers, instead of calling for an end to the
violence and terrorism by the likes of Bin Laden and company.

I guess that would be too much to ask.

By the way, if you're interested in seeing the cartoons, you can access them
through the link on the front page at
http://www.lauramansfield.com/j/default.asp . Please note that the cartoons
are the property of the copyright holder, Jyllands-Posten, and if you wish
to copy or reuse these cartoons, you must first request their permission.

For more translations and news on terrorism, visit
http://www.lauramansfield.com
or visit our forum at http://www.lauramansfield.com/forum/

Strategic Translations is a service provided by Laura Mansfield through
http://www.lauramansfield.com

You may email Laura at [EMAIL PROTECTED]