"Since the fall of Saddam, we haven't seen any changes in the
situation. We thought it was going to get better -- the oil prices,
the election -- but it hasn't."
"Another problem is the overrepresentation of Kurds in units deployed
in this predominantly Arab city. The troops Hammond's platoon was
working with were all Kurds from Irbil, east of Mosul, and from Dahuk
province to the north -- both located in the Kurds' largely
independent region. Few spoke Arabic, and many had Kurdish flags sewn
on the shoulders of their camouflage uniforms, even though the
practice is against regulations."
"Most people in Mosul, in general, they respect us," said Hazim
Mohammed Khorsheed, a Kurdish soldier working with Hammond's unit.
"Some don't respect us, so we shouldn't respect them."

So the stage is being set for Kurds to take control of Mosul when the
civil war starts as U.S. forces withdraw from Iraq...or sooner.

David Bier

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/01/AR2006020102235.html

Mosul Makes Gains Against the Chaos

A Year After City's Police Force Crumbled, Iraqi Units Are on Duty,
Violence Is Down

By Nelson Hernandez
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 2, 2006; A14

MOSUL, Iraq -- A year after its police force melted away and the
streets descended into anarchy, Mosul has climbed up from the abyss.
But this city of 2 million, a key battleground in the Iraq war, still
teeters on the edge of chaos.

Insurgents have tried to assassinate the province's governor three
times during his 18 months in office. They have killed his son, five
other relatives and 27 bodyguards. The provincial police chief was
fired late last year after he was accused of having ties to the
insurgency. Unemployment hovers at about 40 percent. The number of
reported attacks is down 57 percent since the battle for the city last
year, according to Lt. Col. Mitchell Rambih, operations officer for
the U.S. Army's 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team. But residents say
violence remains a serious problem.

"Every day there is shooting," Likaa Talal, a mother of five, told
reporters accompanying U.S. and Iraqi troops in Mosul's Jamiilah
Circle neighborhood. "There used to be more bombs before, more
attacks, but now there is less. I sit at home. I don't know what's
going on outside."

Though the political, economic and military situations in Mosul are
still tenuous, U.S. officials here say the city's fate will soon be in
Iraqi hands. Confident in the skills of the newly trained Iraqi army
and political and military leaders who say they are fiercely opposed
to terrorism, U.S. commanders have started giving small units
responsibility for protecting areas of this ethnically divided city.

So far, two Iraqi battalions, roughly 1,500 men, have been given
authority over sectors of the city formerly patrolled by American
units. U.S. commanders plan to put a third battalion in charge of
another area soon. If all goes as planned, Mosul and surrounding
Nineveh province will be in the hands of 24,000 Iraqi troops by November.

Ten months ago, U.S. military officials said they hoped to hand over
the province by the end of 2005. After putting an Iraqi battalion in
charge of a sector in the center of Mosul last March, some commanders
told a Washington Post correspondent that the training of the Iraqi
units was proceeding swiftly. Others, however, warned that it might be
better to take a more deliberate approach, making sure the Iraqis were
trained properly. The U.S. military followed their advice, and
progress has been modest.

Col. Michael Shields, commander of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat
Team, stressed that giving Iraqi units responsibility would remain
"event-driven" and that problems with politics or insurgent attacks
could slow the transition. He also noted that U.S. forces would remain
in the region after the handover to give logistical, air and ground
support to the Iraqi army.

Interviews with the Iraqi political and military officials who will
take responsibility for running Mosul and Nineveh province, and with
residents of the city, reveal a conflicting picture of progress mixed
with persisting problems.

There are the rivalries between the city's Arabs and Kurds, played out
in politics and assassinations. There is the high unemployment that
leaves young men with little to do but fight or turn to crime. Police
and army officials complain that the city's judges are afraid to
imprison insurgents they've captured. And despite the $61.5 million
spent so far on rebuilding the city's infrastructure, residents say
they receive only a few hours of electricity and water a day.

The central question is whether Iraqi army and police units will be
able to control the restive city with limited help from U.S. forces or
will desert en masse, as they did in November 2004.

In that crisis, insurgents led by the radical Muslim organizations
Ansar al-Sunna and al Qaeda in Iraq routed the city's 8,000-member
police force in a campaign of intimidation and coordinated assaults on
police stations. U.S. troops, backed by newly raised Iraqi units,
reasserted control after months of fierce combat and say they have
captured or killed 110 insurgent leaders.

While those who work regularly with Iraqi troops say their
professionalism and skill have improved over the past several months,
a joint U.S.-Iraqi mission into Mosul showed that the Iraqis still
have a long way to go.

After U.S. armored vehicles had sealed off the ends of a two-lane
street in the Jamiilah Circle neighborhood, American troops fanned out
with practiced speed, carefully sweeping the rooftops, windows and
doorways on both sides of the road with the muzzles of their rifles.
The Iraqis milled around in the middle of the street, chatting, while
curious residents watched from the sidewalk.

"We shouldn't be standing around like this," said 1st Lt. Devin
Hammond, the leader of 1st Platoon, A Company of the 2-1 Infantry. He
gently shepherded the Iraqi troops into a nearby courtyard.

As the mission wore on, the Americans started to give their partners
tips: Don't walk around with your rifle's safety off. When you're
leaning back against a wall to check the other side of the street,
leave a small space so your comrades can walk behind you instead of
having to cross in front of your weapon. When you enter a house, check
it for weapons before you strike up a long conversation with the owner.

"We had to coach them a little bit, at the beginning," said Hammond,
of Staunton, Va.

The Americans said the Iraqi troops had been friendly and eager to
learn but could do better at taking the initiative.

"They needed someone to go in with them" into the houses on the
street, said Sgt. Christopher Haggett of Montpelier, Vt. "I think
their biggest problem is they want to be with us. We're like their big
brother. They look up to us."

Another problem is the overrepresentation of Kurds in units deployed
in this predominantly Arab city. The troops Hammond's platoon was
working with were all Kurds from Irbil, east of Mosul, and from Dahuk
province to the north -- both located in the Kurds' largely
independent region. Few spoke Arabic, and many had Kurdish flags sewn
on the shoulders of their camouflage uniforms, even though the
practice is against regulations.

Although ethnic rivalry in Mosul has been a problem in the past --
many Arabs were upset in 2003 when, during the U.S. invasion, Kurdish
militiamen entered the city -- the Iraqi soldiers, both Kurds and
Arabs, say they have put aside their differences.

"What I have told my soldiers is that it does not matter who are or
where you're from, as long as you protect this city," Lt. Col. Amar
Abdullah, the Arab commander of the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade of the
Iraqi army's 2nd Division, said after his unit formally took control
of a sector of Mosul in a ceremony last week.

"Most people in Mosul, in general, they respect us," said Hazim
Mohammed Khorsheed, a Kurdish soldier working with Hammond's unit.
"Some don't respect us, so we shouldn't respect them."

As Khorsheed and his fellow soldiers picked their way through the
street, rapping on gates and doors, they found that most residents
agreed that the security situation had improved. Yet they remained
pessimistic about the future.

"We always hear shooting and stuff like that," said Abdullah Abbas,
standing in his pharmaceuticals shop, where boxes of drugs shipped in
from India and elsewhere were stacked high in every room. "We hear
that the Iraqi forces are getting better and better. Lately, I think
things are getting a little better, but not 100 percent."

Abbas, 36, said he was still worried about the long run: "Since the
fall of Saddam, we haven't seen any changes in the situation. We
thought it was going to get better -- the oil prices, the election --
but it hasn't."

Basaa Abdulahmed, who teaches microbiology at Mosul Medical College,
said her husband had been kidnapped in August as he was leaving a
mosque. He escaped after four days, but insurgents demanded $15,000
from the family anyway. She paid the ransom.

"What will I do?" she asked. "If I don't pay, they will kill us."

Hammond dutifully wrote down the details of the incident and left a
phone number for Abdulahmed's family to call if they had any more trouble.

Abdulahmed's daughter-in-law, Laela Shaikhow, was watching an episode
of "Melrose Place" as soldiers entered the house. She didn't need the
Arabic subtitles; born in Manchester, England, she spoke perfect English.

Shaikhow, 26, returned to Britain for six months last year, but came
back to Iraq in October because she found it difficult to adapt to
life in the West, especially as a religious Sunni Muslim. Despite the
violence in Mosul, she said she intended to stay.

"I still prefer it here to over there," she said. "Even over there,
the crime is terrible."

Special correspondent Dlovan Brwari contributed to this report.