http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/156601.php

February 09, 2006

Apologies For Cartoon Jihad and the 'Moderate' Muslim

Via Dean <http://www.deanesmay.com/posts/1139494981.shtml>  and INDC
<http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/002331.php> , he're is a website in
which Muslims say they're  <http://www.sorrynorwaydenmark.com/> sorry for
the cartoon jihad. The problem with the website is that a) it assumes
collective guilt b) it is registered anonymously
<http://www.samspade.org/t/lookat?a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sorrynorwaydenmark.com%
2F> through Domains by Proxy.

a) All of us should reject the primitive notion of collective guilt. The
cartoon jihadis are holding an entire country, Denmark, responsible for the
act of a single newspaper. This is collectivism at its worst. Similarly, we
should not not hold all Muslims responsible for the acts of the religious
fascists wishing to impose their system on the West. Muslims who believe in
freedom of expression have nothing to apologize for.

b) If it is so important for a group of moderate Muslims to apologize for
what other extremists are doing, why cover the domain's registration
information? One only pays a third party to cover your registration
information when one has something to hide. Could it be that they are afraid
of revealing who they are? I think that it is very likely.

But, besides this website, there is also a serious problem in the way other
Muslims are reacting. The main problem is in differentiating between
moderate Muslims and radical, extremist, or conservative Muslims. What is
the definition of a moderate vs. a radical? And in Islam, is there no such
thing as a liberal Muslim?

Dorkafork <http://www.indcjournal.com/>  and Dean Esmay
<http://www.deanesmay.com/>  have been trying to argue that there is nothing
inherently antiliberal in Islam. I address that here
<http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/155935.php> . Their other point, that
Muslim countries are becoming more liberal is well taken and spot
on--especially given that this liberalization comes after the Bush
Presdency, negating criticisms that the Islamic world would be better if
America retreated from the war on terror.

However, if there is no connection between Islam and repressivenes, then how
do they explain the  <http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/156099.php> statistic
that

for each increase of 1% in the percentage of Muslims in the population the
level of freedom goes down by 0.031 points on a scale of 7. (Roughly 1 in
200.) The relationship is also highly significant

But really the debate is over how one distinguishes between the liberal,
moderate, and extremist Muslim.

For instance, much of what Dorkafork links to
<http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/002331.php> here, is a rejection of
violence as a reaction to the Danish cartoons. Should I consider a Muslim
who rejects violence, yet who still believes that such cartoons should be
banned based on Islamic law a moderate?

And if a moderate Muslim can believes that the press ought to be censored so
as not to violate Quranic injunctions, then what do we call a Muslim who
disagrees and is fully secular in legal orientation? If the former is the
mainstream view, wouldn't this make that the moderate view? And if the
latter is the minority view, would not this mean that the secularist is a
liberal among the greater Muslim community?

For instance, take Dorkafork's first link which is to CAIR
<http://www.cair-net.org/default.asp?Page=articleView&id=1977&theType=NR> ,
which rejects violence as a method of acheiving the ends of imposing
Islamofascism, but not those ends themselves. CAIR wishes to:

reiterate the Muslim community's strong belief that the controversy is not
an issue of free speech, but is instead based on concerns over hate speech
and incitement .

The very  <http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/AyeshaAhmed41220.htm>
founder of CAIR has said the long term goal is the imposition of sharia in
the U.S. The difference between CAIR and al Qaeda is that CAIR wants to
peacefully impose Islamic law and are willing to wait until they are a
majority to do it, while al Qaeda is willing to use violence to those same
ends. So, I guess as long as we reject violent protest then we are a
moderate? Even when such moderation includes replacing the U.S. Constitution
as the highest law of the land with Sharia?

Walid
<http://counterterror.typepad.com/the_counterterrorism_blog/2006/02/the_cart
oonesqu.html> Phares has an excellent discussion today on how Muslim
immigrants in Western countries continue to struggle with Islam's rejection
of the separation of church and state--in the most literal meaning--and
being a minority community unable to affect the larger legal structure. CAIR
and MAS (the Muslim American Society) are much like their European
counterparts in that they support a dual system of law: one secular in the
West and one religious in Muslim countries. Such dualism, however, is
conditioned on Muslims being unable to affect the larger political system.
Once Muslim populations are large enough, they envision a peaceful
transition to sharia through legal means.

Moderation is usually ascribed to those Muslims that subscribe to this
dualism of secular law in the West and religious law elsewhere. Rarely does
it enter into the mind the inherent contradiction that a 'moderate' might
believe that it is okay for the 'moderate' country of Malaysia to jail
people for the crime of giving a Bible to a Muslim.

And what about that 'moderate' Shia leader the Grand Ayatollah Sistani,
cited by Dorkafork, who has condemned the specific violence around the
cartoon jihad, but also believes
<http://freedomhouse.org/religion/country/Iraq/hold%20the%20line%20on%20shar
ia.htm?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A26302-2003Dec23%ACFound=true>
blasphemy laws should be enacted wherever Muslims have power:

Sistani is strongly in favor of the blasphemy laws that have been so useful
to Middle Eastern despots in squelching political reform. He declares that
the ruling on those who "slander Allah, the Prophet, the Imams, religion or
schools of law (madhhab)... is death." This penalty could be imposed on any
Muslim who "slanders," that, is criticizes, an Imam's interpretation of the
law, as has occurred in Iran and Afghanistan.

Then there's Dorkafork's link to MPAC's
<http://www.mpac.org/home_article_display.aspx?ITEM=873> condemnation of the
violence? MPAC is a much more moderate organization than CAIR, but still
what  <http://www.zoa.org/pressrel2003/20031223a.htm> does 'moderate' mean
when there's all of this:

* Compared America To Saddam: MPAC director Salam al-Marayati wrote (MSA
News, Sept. 5, 1996): "Saddam Hussein's behavior in and around Iraq has been
reckless. The same can be said about U.S. policy as a result of its
reactionary mode."

* Condemned America's Strikes On Bin Laden: The MPAC condemned America's
strikes against Bin Laden terror bases in Afghanistan and Sudan in August
1998, on the grounds that "violence emanating from a superpower, bypassing
due process and legitimate international channels, against poor countries is
illegal, immoral and illogical..." (MPAC press release, August 24, 1998)

* Claimed Israel May Have Carried Out The 9/11 Attacks: Speaking on the Los
Angeles radio station KCRW a few hours after the 9/11 attacks, MPAC director
Salam al-Marayati said: "If we're going to look at suspects we should look
to the groups that benefit the most from these kinds of incidents, and I
think we should put the state of Israel on the suspect list because I think
this diverts attention from what's happening in the Palestinian territories
so that they can go on with their aggression and occupation and apartheid
policies." (New York Times, Oct. 22, 2001) The Anti-Defamation League's Los
Angeles director responded by announcing that he is severing his contacts
with Marayati. (L.A. Jewish Journal, Sept.28, 2001)

* Compared Muslim Terrorists To America's Founding Fathers: MPAC director
Salam al-Marayati wrote (The Minaret, June 1996): "Most Islamic movements
have been branded as terrorists as a result of the rising extremism from a
handful of militants. American freedom fighters hundreds of years ago were
also regarded as terrorists by the British."

* Praised Hezbollah: At the National Press Club on June 18, 1998, MPAC
Senior Adviser Maher Hathout said: "Hezbollah is fighting for freedom...This
is legitimate." Hezbollah murdered 241 U.S. marines in a 1983 car-bomb
attack near Beirut.

* Justified Suicide Bombings Against Israelis: In a panel discussion on
Capitol Hill on June 18, 1998, MPAC Senior Adviser Maher Hathout said: "The
only thing [that Arab terrorists in Israel] can do is throw a bomb in a
market or send somebody to suicide, we don't have enough ability to target
real targets in Israel."

* Called For The Destruction Of Israel: The MPAC co-signed a public
statement on September 17, 1993, which called for Israel's dissolution by
stating that "The establishment by force, violence, and terrorism of a
Jewish state in Palestine in 1948" was "unjust" and "a crime," and vowed to
"work to overturn the injustice."

Next Dorkafork quotes an article from the American Muslim
<http://www.al-amana.org/article.php?id=1855> Association of North America
that quotes The head of the European
<http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/156412.php> Council for Fatwa and Research
and president of the International Association of Muslim Scholars, Sheikh
Yusif al-Qaradhawi. AMANA wants you to think of them as moderate, which of
course, they are. But what AMANA doesn't tell you is what else this
'moderate' scholar said, because we would hate for you to know what
'moderates' really think:

The governments must be pressured to demand that the U.N. adopt a clear
resolution or law that categorically prohibits affronts to prophets - to the
prophets of the Lord and His messengers, to His holy books, and to the
religious holy places....

"The second warning I direct at the Westerners, the Americans, and the
Europeans who follow them, who claim to be fighting terrorism, and
struggling against violence throughout the world.

"I say to them: Your silence over such crimes, which offend the Prophet of
Islam and insult his great nation, is what begets violence, generates
terrorism, and makes the terrorists say: Our governments are doing nothing,
and we must avenge our Prophet ourselves. This is what creates terrorism and
begets violence."

Some moderate, eh?

Other links provided by Dorkafork aren't to moderates at all. In fact, they
are to liberal Muslim groups such as to The Free Muslims
<http://www.freemuslims.org/blog/?id=384> . It is groups like The Free
Muslims that we all ought to be supporting. They reject both the means and
the ends of Islamic law. They are true secularists in the Western sense of
the word.

But just becaue I support them does not mean that they represent anything
like the moderate wing of Islam. They understand this and readily admit that
their positions are  <http://www.freemuslims.org/issues/modern-islam.php>
controversial within the Islamic community at large.

We need to distinguish them and other
<http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/2006/02/time-for-cartoon-post.html> Muslim
secularists as what they really are: liberal reformers.

Many have fallen into the trap of assuming that moderates are basically the
same across the world. However, liberal, moderate, and conservative are all
relative terms by definition. When applied to the Muslim world they mean
something entirely different then when they are applied to Westerners.

Regardles of whether or not a Muslim cleric is deemed a moderate and
condemns terrorism or acts of violence, that does not make him a friend to
liberal democracy. As long as 'moderate' Muslims wish to impose sharia
law--or base secular law on sharia principles-- in any country, they remain
my ideological enemy.

Posted by Dr. Rusty Shackleford at February 9, 2006 01:21 PM | TrackBack
<http://blog.mu.nu/cgi/mt-tb.cgi?__mode=view&entry_id=156601>