"I don't think anybody should be releasing classified information,
period, whether in the Congress, executive branch or some underling in
some bureaucracy," said Allen, who appeared with Reed on "Fox News
Sunday."
"I think this calls into question in terms of Fitzgerald's
investigation of the conduct of the vice president and others," Reed
said. "I think he has to look closely at their behavior."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1153AP_CIA_Leak.html

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1153AP_CIA_Leak.html

Sunday, February 12, 2006 ยท Last updated 8:19 p.m. PT

Senators concerned over CIA leak report

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
        photo
        Vice President Dick Cheney, center, accepts a rifle from National
Rifle Association President Kayne Robinson, right, and NRA Vice
President Wayne R. LaPierre, after concluding his keynote address to
the 133rd annuanl NRA convention in this April 17, 2004 file photo in
Pittsburgh. Cheney accidentally shot and injured a man during a
weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, his spokeswoman said Sunday Feb.
12, 2006. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/aponline/46821.39CHENEY-HUNTING-ACCIDENT.sff.jpg

WASHINGTON -- Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald should investigate
Vice President Dick Cheney and others in the CIA leak probe if they
authorized an aide to give secret information to reporters, Democratic
and Republican senators said Sunday.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., called the leak of intelligence information
"inappropriate" if it is true that unnamed "superiors" instructed
Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, to divulge
the material on Iraq.

Sen. George Allen, R-Va., said a full investigation is necessary.

"I don't think anybody should be releasing classified information,
period, whether in the Congress, executive branch or some underling in
some bureaucracy," said Allen, who appeared with Reed on "Fox News
Sunday."

According to court documents disclosed last week, Libby told a federal
grand jury that he disclosed in July 2003 the contents of a classified
National Intelligence Estimate as part of the Bush administration's
defense of intelligence used to justify invading Iraq.

Fitzgerald said in the documents it was his understanding that "Mr.
Libby testified that he was authorized to disclose information about
the NIE to the press by his superiors."

The White House has refused to comment on the case.

"I think this calls into question in terms of Fitzgerald's
investigation of the conduct of the vice president and others," Reed
said. "I think he has to look closely at their behavior."

Allen expressed confidence in Fitzgerald, whom he called "a very
articulate, professional prosecutor."

"And I think the facts will lead wherever they lead, and I think he
will prosecute as appropriate," Allen said.

Libby, 55, was indicted on charges that he lied to FBI agents and the
grand jury about how he learned CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity
and when he told reporters. He is not charged with leaking classified
information.