"The tape appears to confirm Afghan officials' suspicions that the
suicide bombings, which are largely a recent phenomenon in
Afghanistan, were generated outside Afghanistan, and in particular
from neighboring Pakistan."
"The interrogations also indicated that the network behind the men was
made up of Afghan Taliban, many of them living in Pakistan. Mr. Baqi,
the Afghan courier arrested with Mr. Ali and Sajjad, said on the tape
that he had brought four would-be bombers into the country, taking
them from Mr. Hadi in Chaman and delivering them to various people in
Afghanistan who set them up with cars and explosives."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/15/international/asia/15afghan.html

February 15, 2006

Afghan Suicide Bombings, Tied to Taliban, Point to Pakistan

By CARLOTTA GALL

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan, Feb. 12 — Arrests and interrogations of
suspects in a recent series of suicide bombings in Afghanistan show
that the attacks have been orchestrated from Pakistan by members of
the ousted Taliban government with little interference by the
Pakistani authorities, Afghan officials say.

In taped interviews by an Afghan interrogator, two Afghans and three
Pakistanis who were among 21 people arrested in recent weeks described
their roles in the attacks, which have killed at least 70 people in
the last three months, most of them Afghan civilians but also
international peacekeepers, a Canadian diplomat and a dozen Afghan
police officers and soldiers.

In the tape, the men described a fairly low-budget network that begins
with the recruitment of young bombers in the sprawling Pakistani port
city of Karachi. The bombers are moved to safe houses in the border
towns of Quetta and Chaman, and then transferred into Afghanistan,
where they are provided with cars and explosives and sent out to find
a target.

The tape appears to confirm Afghan officials' suspicions that the
suicide bombings, which are largely a recent phenomenon in
Afghanistan, were generated outside Afghanistan, and in particular
from neighboring Pakistan. It was shown to The New York Times by an
Afghan official who asked not to be identified because of the
diplomatic implications of the contents.

A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, dismissed the claims of the
Afghan government. "This is a propaganda campaign of the government,"
he said by satellite telephone from an unknown location. "Our
mujahedeen don't send one group to one area so they can be found and
arrested. Our mujahedeen send different people to different areas at
different times."

He added that there was no need to recruit Pakistanis for the attacks.
"They are all Afghans," he said of the suicide bombers.

But Afghan officials said the confessions provided the proof they
needed to demand action from Pakistan. "I think there is a factory for
these bombers," said Asadullah Khaled, the governor of Kandahar
Province, where 15 attacks have occurred in the last three months.

President Hamid Karzai is traveling to Pakistan on Wednesday
specifically to raise the issue with President Pervez Musharraf and in
speeches to Parliament and officers at a military academy as well.

"If you are the ones blowing yourselves up, why are you making the
explosion in front of the police headquarters, where people like you
are standing in front getting passports?" Mr. Karzai said, addressing
the bombers rhetorically, in a televised speech to elders from
southern Afghanistan last week.

He has spoken increasingly of the need to tackle the problem at the
source. Anti-Pakistan sentiment has been rising in Afghanistan, and a
popular refrain is that if the hand of Pakistan were cut, the Taliban,
many of whom fled over the border when they were ousted in late 2001,
would be no more.

"Most of the attackers are non-Afghans," the governor of Kandahar, Mr.
Khaled, said Saturday at a memorial service for 14 victims of the
latest bombing. "We have proof, we have prisoners," he added. "We have
addresses, we have cassettes."

Pakistani officials in the past have said the Pakistanis arrested in
Afghanistan are usually illiterate laborers looking for work.

Judging by the tape, Pakistan appeared to be the base for the terror
network, however. In the interviews, all of the men appeared to speak
freely, some expressing regret for what they had done. Only one showed
some nervousness, though the interrogations seemed relatively relaxed.

Three of the men, speaking in Urdu, said they were Pakistanis and had
been recruited as bombers.

Two of the men, Akhtar Ali and Sajjad, who only gave one name, said
they had been recruited by a man named Jamal, who was working for the
Taliban and who owns a bookstore in Karachi. Sajjad had been staying
with his brother in Karachi when Jamal showed him video cassettes in
which Muslim clerics urged listeners to go and fight a holy war and
earn a sure way to paradise.

"I was doing nothing, walking around, playing cricket and football,"
Sajjad said, adding in reference to a senior cleric: "The maulavi
sahib talked to me and showed me a cassette, so I got involved. They
were talking on the cassettes and telling us to do this and that,
telling me to kill Americans."

Mr. Ali, who is from Karachi and who looked to be in his late 20's,
said he received training to fight five years ago, when the Taliban
were still in power, but never went to Afghanistan. Muslim clerics
speaking on the video cassettes persuaded him to go this time, he said.

"I heard from the clerics there that if you fight jihad, you would go
to paradise," he said. "There are cassettes there and they say: 'There
is jihad against non-Muslims.' "

The third man, who gave his name as Abdullah, said he had come from
Peshawar but was working in Karachi when recruited by a co-worker
named Iqbal. "Iqbal was talking of fighting against Americans, he was
talking of going to fight jihad there," Abdullah said in his
interview. "I said I cannot do it. Iqbal persuaded me."

Separately the three men were sent to Quetta, they said in the tapes,
and put in touch with an Afghan member of the Taliban, Abdul Hadi, who
had a house in the border town of Chaman. Sajjad was on his second
trip in; his first attempt was aborted when the man preparing the car
in Kabul blew himself up.

Sajjad and Mr. Ali were arrested with their Afghan facilitator, Nur
ul-Baqi, as they drove into Kandahar.

Abdullah, a man with a hard direct gaze, said he had been given
shelter for two days in Afghanistan and provided with a car filled
with explosives and two gas cylinders. "My other friend told me which
button to press," he said.

He was caught by the police on the edge of Kandahar in a car laden
with explosives and tried to detonate them as the police stopped him,
the interrogator said on the tape. Abdullah denied that and said he
had had a change of heart and stopped his car.

The interrogations also indicated that the network behind the men was
made up of Afghan Taliban, many of them living in Pakistan. Mr. Baqi,
the Afghan courier arrested with Mr. Ali and Sajjad, said on the tape
that he had brought four would-be bombers into the country, taking
them from Mr. Hadi in Chaman and delivering them to various people in
Afghanistan who set them up with cars and explosives.

He said he had brought in one bomber called Imran from Pakistan's
North-West Frontier Province, who blew himself up on the road near the
Kandahar airport. The other bomber did not go through with his attack,
Mr. Baqi said.

He gave names and details of other bombers who had been taken to Kabul
and one to Herat to carry out attacks, and of the Afghans who helped
them. Among them were an Afghan husband-and-wife team who blew
themselves up on the Jalalabad road on the east side of Kabul.

"Most of the attackers are Pakistanis; I can tell you 99 percent are
Pakistani," he said. He said he had not seen any Arabs coming through.

Mr. Hadi provided the money to purchase cars, one for $2,000, Mr. Baqi
said. He said he had asked Mr. Hadi several times where the money had
come from. "It is coming from the sky," was the reply.

"They are getting their logistics there, so it is obvious that
Pakistan is also giving them money, in my opinion," Mr. Baqi said,
adding that he and the other Afghan Taliban had free movement in
Pakistan. "The people who are bringing anarchy in Afghanistan, the
Pakistanis don't say anything to them," he said.

Hafiz Bismillah, the last man on the tape, said he was from Panjwai
district, just 30 minutes southwest of here. Wearing glasses and a
white prayer cap, he was the only one who appeared jittery in his
interview.

Mr. Baqi had brought Imran, the bomber, to his house, and he had
stayed with them, he said. "We knew he was going to do a suicide
mission," he said. "We gave him a place to stay." The police found 80
mines inside large blue plastic barrels at his house, he said.