"No civilian nuclear program can explain the Iranian nuclear program.
It is a clandestine military nuclear program," Douste-Blazy said on
France-2 television. "The international community has sent a very firm
message in telling the Iranians to return to reason and suspend all
nuclear activity and the enrichment and conversion of uranium, but
they aren't listening to us."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1625948

France: Iran Nuke Program a Military Cover

France: Iran Nuclear Program a Cover for Military Effort; Iran
Dismisses Charge

By ANGELA CHARLTON
The Associated Press

PARIS - France's foreign minister said Thursday that Iran's nuclear
program was a cover for clandestine military activity, in an unusually
direct attack on Tehran for a European diplomat.

Iran's chief nuclear negotiator immediately dismissed the charge,
insisting that Iran doesn't "want to have the bomb."

Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy's comments were likely to
increase pressure on Iran amid the international dispute over its
nuclear activities. Tehran says its nuclear program is peaceful but
European and U.S. leaders fear it is aimed at building atomic weapons.

"No civilian nuclear program can explain the Iranian nuclear program.
It is a clandestine military nuclear program," Douste-Blazy said on
France-2 television. "The international community has sent a very firm
message in telling the Iranians to return to reason and suspend all
nuclear activity and the enrichment and conversion of uranium, but
they aren't listening to us."

The International Atomic Energy Agency reported Iran to the U.N.
Security Council on Feb. 4 over suspicions about its nuclear
activities. France, Britain and Germany have led European negotiations
that have failed to persuade Iran to suspend parts of its nuclear program.

Amid mounting tensions, Iran resumed small-scale uranium enrichment
last week. Uranium enriched to low level is used to produce nuclear
fuel for reactors and further enrichment makes it suitable for use in
nuclear weapons.

"Now it's up to the Security Council to say what it will do, what
means it will use to stop, to manage, to halt this terrible crisis of
nuclear proliferation caused by Iran," Douste-Blazy said.

Iranian negotiator Ali Larijani rejected the French minister's
comments, saying, "We want civil nuclear energy, we don't want to have
the bomb."

"Concerning nuclear arms, we are a responsible country," he said on
France-Inter radio from Tehran. "The propaganda suggests that we want
the bomb, but this is not the truth."

"We want to be in this camp" of countries that have nuclear energy
technology but no nuclear weapons, such as Brazil and Japan, he said.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday that the United
States will "walk a fine line" in seeking international sanctions
against Iran.

Rice detailed a two-track approach to Iran concerted international
pressure to deter the Iranians from building a bomb, and a newly
robust attempt to sew democratic change within the country with aid
for broadcasts and dissidents.