"Until recently it seemed possible to trace the main developments in
the Bush administration's policies back to that horrible, fantastical
day in September 2001, as if following an unbroken chain of causes and
effects. Now it no longer does. The chain is too entangled with other
chains, of newer and older origin."

http://www.tomdispatch.com/indexprint.mhtml?pid=60579

Tomgram: Jonathan Schell, Goodbye to All That

This post can be found at http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=60579

Jonathan Schell, who lives in downtown New York City, began writing
his "Letter from Ground Zero" column -- still unnamed -- almost before
the white dust storm of 9/11 had settled. The first of what would
become almost four-and-a-half years of such columns -- piercing,
questioning, thoughtful -- appeared the next week in the Nation
magazine. In those early days, as the country and Congress were being
panicked into every sort of folly, Jonathan stuck -- as calmly as
possible -- to his most basic beliefs; and, at a time when so many
were ducking for cover, he never hesitated to express them as strongly
(and eloquently) as possible. To my mind, he has been a model of
intelligent analysis and resistance in this strange, unhinged moment
of ours.

Tomdispatch was far slower to start up. I began it only after two
post-9/11 months of media coverage had driven me to despair, only
after I couldn't bear the thought of leaving such a degraded world to
my children without having done a thing in response. And then, of
course, I had nothing as lofty as the Nation in mind for my first
tentative thoughts. An e-list of twelve friends and relatives seemed
ambitious enough. It would be another year-plus before my
still-unnamed dispatches, now heading out to hundreds of e-readers,
became (thanks to Hamilton Fish of the Nation Institute) the
Tomdispatch website. Only months after that did I post the first
"Letter from Ground Zero" at the site (through the kindness of the
Nation's Katrina van den Heuvel). As all of you know, I've proudly
posted many of Jonathan's pieces since then.

This was hardly the first time his path and mine had intersected. His
remarkable Vietnam writings, The Village of Ben Suc and The Military
Half, as well as his classic Watergate book, The Time of Illusion, had
helped shape my worldview in the late 1960s and 1970s, though at the
time I knew him (the way any reader would) only on the page. In 1980,
in the wake of the Three Mile Island nuclear near-catastrophe in
Pennsylvania -- I was by then an editor at Pantheon Books -- I decided
to publish Unforgettable Fire, a volume of drawings and brief
descriptions of the Hiroshima A-bomb experience by some of its
survivors -- the first such book, I believe, to take mainstream
Americans under the mushroom cloud since John Hersey's Hiroshima in
1946. Jonathan plucked an unforgettably strange and indomitable image
from that book -- of a professor standing in his shorts in a sea of
fire, holding only a rice ball in his fist -- and, having translated
it into words, made it central to the first part of The Fate of the
Earth, his bestselling book about the superpower nuclear conundrum
that, even without the USSR, still has us in its grip. That book --
and so the image I had published -- was one spark helping to set
ablaze the vast antinuclear movement that, in the early 1980s,
all-too-briefly challenged the Reagan administration.

Some years later, I became Jonathan's editor, leaving Pantheon Books
in 1990, only to be reunited with him years later at Metropolitan
Books where I edited his post-9/11 work, The Unconquerable World.
(Anyone who bothered to read that account of several centuries of
state violence and popular resistance would have known, without a
scintilla of doubt, that the Bush "cakewalk" into Iraq would prove
anything but.)

Now, in a final "Letter from Ground Zero" column, Jonathan is saying
goodbye to all that, only to offer the promise of an even deeper
plunge into the American crisis of our moment. I have no doubt that
our paths will cross again -- and soon, I hope -- at Tomdispatch. In
the meantime, here (with my thanks yet again to the editors of the
Nation magazine) is his final column. Tom

    Farewell to Ground Zero
    By Jonathan Schell

    [This column, which will appear in the March 6th issue of the
Nation, is posted here with the kind permission of the editors of that
magazine.]

    This column will be my last "Letter From Ground Zero." The series
will be succeeded by another, "Crisis of the Republic." Until recently
it seemed possible to trace the main developments in the Bush
administration's policies back to that horrible, fantastical day in
September 2001, as if following an unbroken chain of causes and
effects. Now it no longer does. The chain is too entangled with other
chains, of newer and older origin.

    The war against Afghanistan, where Osama bin Laden had his
headquarters and support from the ruling Taliban, was, for better or
worse, a clear response to the attack on the United States. The
Patriot Act and the reorganization of the national security apparatus
likewise were responses to September 11. But with the launch of the
Iraq War, the subject was already beginning to change. The political
support for the war still flowed from 9/11, but the administration was
already veering toward other objectives. For one thing, we know that
Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and others had wanted to attack
Iraq since their first days in office, and, for that matter, even
before. For another, the war proved to be a kind of test case of a far
more sweeping revolution in American foreign policy, soon outlined in
the White House document of 2002, the National Security Strategy of
the United States of America, which set forth American ambitions for
nothing less than global hegemony based on military superiority,
absolute and perpetual, over all other nations. Many friends of this
policy frankly and rightly called it imperial.

    The Iraq test case has failed; in doing so it has tied down forces
that otherwise might have been given further aggressive missions. The
imperial plan stalled -- as the nuclearization of North Korea without
an effective American response, among other things, attests.
Nevertheless, the administration's international ambitions had a
scarcely less sweeping domestic corollary, for which no master
strategic document was supplied: a profound transformation of the
American state, in which, in the name of the "war on terror," the
President rises above the law and the Republican Party permanently
dominates all three branches of government. That project had even less
to do with 9/11 than did the Iraq War. Its roots can be traced at
least as far back as the election of 2000, when the Supreme Court
improperly interjected itself into the electoral dispute in Florida
and a majority consisting of Republican-appointed Justices awarded the
presidency to the man of their own party. Or perhaps we need to look
back even further, to the attempt by the Republican-dominated Congress
to knock a Democratic President out of office by impeaching him for
personal misbehavior accompanied by a minor legal infraction. (If
those standards were still in force, President Bush would have been
impeached eleven times over by now.) Obviously, these events had
nothing to do with 9/11 or the Iraq War. Their roots are older and
deeper. To arrange all the new developments, domestic and
international, under the heading "Letter From Ground Zero," as if it
all began with Osama bin Laden, would therefore be misleading. It
would be a kind of lie.

    For the series' new title, I want to acknowledge a debt to Hannah
Arendt, who in 1972 published a book of essays titled Crises of the
Republic. My single-letter change in her title reflects a belief that
today the many disparate crises of the past have combined into one
general systemic crisis, placing the basic structure of the Republic
at mortal risk. At the forefront of concern must be the question: Will
the Constitution of the United States survive? Is the American state
now in the midst of a transmutation in which the 217-year-old
provisions for a balance of powers and popular freedoms are being
overridden and canceled? Or will defenders of the Constitution step
forward, as has happened in constitutional crises of the past, to save
the system and restore its integrity?

    The obvious precedent is Watergate. Then as now, the presidency
became "imperial." Then as now, a misconceived and misbegotten war led
to presidential law-breaking at home. Then as now, a quixotic crusade
for freedom abroad really menaced freedom at home. Then as now, the
law-breaking President was re-elected to a second term. Then as now,
the systemic rot went so deep that only a drastic cure could be
effectual. Then as now, opposition at the outset consisted not of any
great public outrage but the lonely courage of a few bureaucrats,
legislators, and reporters. Then it was the war in Vietnam; now it is
the war in Iraq and the wider and more lasting "war on terror." Then
it was secret break-ins and illegal wiretapping; now it is arbitrary
imprisonment, torture and, again, illegal wiretapping. Then it was
presidential assertion of "executive privilege"; now it is a
full-scale reinterpretation of the Constitution to give the "unitary
executive" power to do anything it likes in "wartime."

    Of course, there are obvious differences. In the early 1970s, the
opposition party controlled both houses of the legislature, which
launched vigorous investigations and, eventually, impeachment
proceedings. Now of course the President's party controls the
legislative branch and possibly (it's still too early to say, given
the traditional independence of the judiciary and its consequent
unpredictability) the judicial branch as well. Then, the movement
against the war had forced a decision to withdraw; now the anti-war
movement is much weaker. On the other hand, when the crisis began back
then, the President's popularity was high; now it is low.

    Yet what remains most striking and most surprising is the degree
of continuity of the systemic disorder in the face of radical,
galloping change in almost every other area of political life. After
all, the cold war, which seemed at the time to be the seedbed of the
Watergate crisis, ended sixteen years ago, in the greatest upheaval of
the international system since the end of World War II. How is it,
then, that the United States has returned to a systemic crisis so
profoundly similar to the one in the early 1970s? By looking at
external foes, are we looking in the wrong place for the origins of
the illness? Is this transformation what a more "conservative" public
now wants? Or is there instead something in the dominant institutions
of American life that push the country in this direction? Those are
some of the questions that will be taken up in "Crisis of the Republic."