"The government of the United States should know that if they go over
the line, they are not going to have Venezuelan oil," Chavez said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/V/VENEZUELA_US?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=INTERNATIONAL

Feb 17, 10:29 PM EST

Chavez Warns U.S. on Oil Exports

By CHRISTOPHER TOOTHAKER
Associated Press Writer

AP Photo/DANIEL GALLI

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez warned on
Friday he could cut off oil exports to the United States if Washington
goes "over the line" in what he has said are attempts to destabilize
his left-leaning government.

Chavez made his threat a day after Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
said that the Venezuelan government posed "one of the biggest
problems" in the region and that its ties to Cuba were "particularly
dangerous" to democracy in Latin America.

"The government of the United States should know that if they go over
the line, they are not going to have Venezuelan oil," Chavez said.

"I have already taken measures regarding this. I'm not going to say
what because they think that I can't take these measures because we
would not have any place to send the oil," Chavez said

Chavez has threatened to halt oil exports to U.S. ports before, but
Friday was the first time the former paratroop commander mentioned
having made contacts with other crude buyers as part of a contingency
plan.

"Many countries ask us for more oil and we have had to tell many
countries we can't send them more" because Venezuela, the world's
fifth largest oil exporter, ships 1.5 million barrels of oil a day to
the United States, he told supporters at the presidential palace.

Relations between Chavez and the Bush administration hit new lows in
recent days after Washington expelled a Venezuelan diplomat in
response to Chavez's expulsion of a U.S. embassy official for alleged
spying.

Venezuela on Friday also demanded an explanation from Washington for
being labeled one of Latin America's biggest threats as a visiting
State Department delegation aimed to ease tensions between the
governments.

Chavez has repeatedly accused the U.S. government of trying to
discredit his government and orchestrate his ouster. American
officials deny those charges but accuse him of authoritarian tendencies.

Chavez, who refers to President Bush as "Mr. Danger," said U.S.
officials would fail in their attempts to turn Latin American nations
against Venezuela.

"You create your front Mr. Danger, we will create ours," Chavez said.
"We are going to defeat the empire."

Chavez said Rice's statements were aimed at creating chaos and
political upheaval in this oil-rich yet poor South American nation
ahead of presidential elections in December.

Chavez, who was elected to a six-year term in 2000, has vowed to win
the next election and govern until 2013 - or longer.