"We've been trying, and our soldiers are doing terrifically, but we
have not had a serious three-year effort to fight a war in Iraq as
opposed to laying the preconditions for getting out."

Interesting that even neocon Bushland defenders are now beginning to
point out that our effort in Iraq has not been what it should have
been.  No occupation and pacification plan nor sufficient troops
trained in the civil affairs and population control techniques to make
it happen.  Infantry grunts' tactics are neither gentle nor designed
to win hearts and minds.  Shock and awe win battles and wars but not
civil populations.  Especially when you can't or won't deliver basic
infrastructure services or protect them.

David Bier

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/02/26/kristol-war-not-serious/

Kristol: "We Have Not Had A Serious Three-Year Effort To Fight A War
In Iraq"

This morning on Fox News Sunday, Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol,
one the staunches defenders of the administration's policy in Iraq,
said the war in Iraq was not a "serious effort."

Transcript:

    BILL KRISTOL: There would not be civil war if Zarqawi had not
spent the last 2 1/2 years – had ex-Saddamists with him, very
skillfully going on the offensive slaughtering Shia in Karbala, now
blowing up the mosque.

    CHRIS WALLACE: They're there. There are going to be more mosques
to blow up. What do you do about the terrorists?

    KRISTOL: Kill them. Defeat them.

    CHRIS WALLACE: We've been trying.

    KRISTOL: We've been trying, and our soldiers are doing
terrifically, but we have not had a serious three-year effort to fight
a war in Iraq as opposed to laying the preconditions for getting out.

    CICI CONNELLY: I think that really begs the question then: what
have we been doing over there for three-plus years? You say there
hasn't been a serious effort to rid that region of the terrorists. I
just wonder what secretary Rumsfeld would say in response to that or
all the U.S. soldiers who have been over there all this time.

    KRISTOL: Secretary Rumsfeld's plan was to draw town to 30,000
troops at the end of major activities.

Essentially, Kristol claims the Iraq war — which he was sure would be
a smashing success — isn't working out because Donald Rumsfeld is
Michael Moore.

Another question: Mr. Kristol, if the administration's policy in Iraq
the last three years has not been a "serious effort" why have you
spent the last three years defending it?

UPDATE: Crooks and Liars has the video.
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/02/26.html#a7302