Bin Laden understands Bush all too well...and wanted him to remain so
that bin Laden would continue to be successful in Iraq and free to
build the Taliban back up in Afghanistan and undermine the Musharraf
government in Pakistan.  Kerry might have done a phased withdrawal and
moved enough troops into Afghanistan to smash the Taliban and al
Qaeda. Osama wanted the U.S. to remain fully engaged in Iraq;
attackable directly and a demonstrably wonderful recruiting tool and
training school for new terrorists. This is how, seemingly isolated in
the wilds of the Afghan border, he has been able to convert his band
of Islamist fanatics from a terrorist group into a worldwide jihadi
ideology, attracting more and more formerly moderate Muslims.  He
wanted Bush to stay and knew just what to say to make sure that
happened.
Since October, bin Laden has been moving units of his terrorists back
to Afghanistan.  An indicator he knows that the situation in Iraq is
irretrievably lost for the U.S., and civil war is inevitable and the
majority of his trained combat veterans can be more useful elsewhere.
Besides, the Taliban has been increasingly active this winter, instead
of going into winter hibernation as in past years, and is ready for a
spring offensive. Osama's guys are there to help at the unit, planner
and logistics levels.  We'll probably kill or capture ten or twelve
more of his number three guys this year alone.
Yep, we got Osama pinned to the wall down there in Afghanistan...right
where he wants us.

David Bier