Chirac in terrorism plea to Saudi Arabia

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2072117,00.html

Jacques Chirac, the French President, called yesterday for dialogue to avoid
misunderstandings in the wake of the uproar over cartoons depicting the
Prophet Muhammad.

M Chirac, speaking at the Majlis, the Saudi Parliament, called for
"cultivating all opportunities for dialogue to avoid misunderstandings," and
for "redoubling attention and efforts to preserve peace."

On an official visit to Saudi Arabia, M Chirac was the first foreign leader
to speak before the non-elected parliament.

Riyadh and Paris "can unite their efforts to thwart those who, in fanning
the flames of fanaticism, provoke a sad clash of ignorance concealed as a
clash of civilizations."

M Chirac also insisted on the need to "respect the diversity of peoples,
faiths and cultures" and to "link ourselves to values of tolerance". "More
than ever, we should affirm the values that provide the basis for our common
existence," he said.

M Chirac said that easing tensions in the Middle East was crucial for global
stability.

Confrontation was not inevitable in the Middle East, he said. He added:
"What is at stake is not the stability of one or another country, it's the
equilibrium of the world. The crises of the Middle East feed tensions, fan
passions, and give free rein to those who profess violence."

M Chirac urged mobilisation against the terrorist threat in Saudi Arabia.
"France is united with the kingdom in its battle against this blight that no
country is safe from," he said. (AP)