“Diplomacy will not be as effective as it could be if we leave out the
option of military action. Pakistan tested its nuclear bomb in 1998,
but it had a deliverable one a full decade earlier due to an egregious
and illegal nuclear development program. I fear the same has happened
in Iran, which is why we should not rule out military action.”
But Sokolski warned that Western intelligence about Iran is too
incomplete to knock out its nuclear capability, particularly regarding
its many Western-trained nuclear technicians."

Iran-N.Korea program enriched uranium w/Pakistani help for several
years until 2002 & likely already has a warhead & Korean missile
delivery capability.

David Bier

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=1606860&C=thisweek

Posted 03/20/06 12:15

Europe, U.S. Split Over Moves Against Iran

By BROOKS TIGNER, BRUSSELS

Though Iran may be only months away from becoming a nuclear-ready
state, U.S. and European experts deeply disagree on whether the
international community should threaten military action against Tehran.
But diplomats say a consensus is emerging among nuclear states that
the mandate of the civil-oriented International Atomic Energy Agency
(IAEA) should be quickly expanded to include more intrusive inspection
of military facilities, documents and personnel.
“Iran is already nuclear and it’s no more than 12 to 48 months away
from acquiring a nuclear bomb,” Henry Sokolski, director of the
Washington-based Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, told a
March 16 conference here on Iran’s nuclear ambitions. The conference
was organized by the Transatlantic Institute.
“It has all the technology and materials it needs to produce one,” he
said. “The international community must react accordingly by isolating
Iran, limiting its ability to maneuver and dissuading others from
following the same path. or else proliferation will mushroom beyond
anyone’s control.”
Sokolski’s ideas were summarized in a 14-page report distributed
during the meeting, “Preparing for a Long-term Competition with Iran.”
The report calls for:
• Supporting a French proposal to create and apply country-neutral
rules against signatories that demonstrably violate Nuclear
Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) rules by disallowing them to argue
their right to pursue the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
• Reducing the vulnerability of Persian Gulf oil and gas
infrastructure to terrorist disruption by building backup facilities
in Saudi Arabia or connecting the pipelines of Kuwait, the United Arab
Emirates, Oman and Saudi Arabia to Red Sea terminals.
• Increasing the size and scope of current naval and air interdictions
in the Persian Gulf.
• Hemming in Iran’s ability to throttle the Strait of Hormuz by
demilitarizing the region.
• Isolating and discrediting Iran as a fissile state by encouraging
Israel to mothball its nuclear capabilities and urging Algeria and
Egypt to do the same.
Sokolski did not directly advocate pre-emptive military action against
Iran, but said the international community has reached an impasse and
it is time “to immediately start playing hardball” with it.
Fellow panelist Simon Henderson, a British political expert at The
Washington Institute for Near East Policy, took a harder line.
“Diplomacy will not be as effective as it could be if we leave out the
option of military action. Pakistan tested its nuclear bomb in 1998,
but it had a deliverable one a full decade earlier due to an egregious
and illegal nuclear development program. I fear the same has happened
in Iran, which is why we should not rule out military action.”
But Sokolski warned that Western intelligence about Iran is too
incomplete to knock out its nuclear capability, particularly regarding
its many Western-trained nuclear technicians. Moreover, European
officials on the panel and in the audience insisted that diplomacy was
the wiser choice.
“I disagree that we’ve reached an impasse and that Iran has everything
it needs [to produce a nuclear bomb]. It would be a grave mistake to
think that we have lost,” said Philippe Errera, deputy director of
policy planning staff in France’s Foreign Ministry. “Otherwise, Iran
would not be still using front companies to get the nuclear equipment
and supplies it needs, as our intelligence repeatedly shows.”
France and its two European Union partners of Germany and the United
Kingdom, known as the EU3, ended two and half years of talks with Iran
in February. Though they failed to lure Iran away from its nuclear
ambitions with the promise of stronger economic, political and
technological relations, Errera said the diplomatic effort yielded
results.
“If we had not persuaded Iran to suspend its nuclear activities [near
Isphahan], they’d be much further down the road than they are today.
Also, we now know far more about Iran’s nuclear program than three
years ago,” said Errera, who was involved in the EU3 talks.
The EU3 and the United State, now support transfer of the problem from
the IAEA to the U.N. Security Council, and have asked the agency to
issue a final report by early April on Tehran’s nuclear program.
Though Russia and China â€" both Security Council members, along with
Britain, France and the United States â€" continue to give mixed signals
about submitting Iran to all U.N. sanctions, there is a consensus
evolving that action is needed, diplomats here said.
“I think everyone agrees that stronger IAEA powers of inspection, and
using them in Iran and other dangerous places, is a priority,” a
European diplomat said.
Yet implementing country-neutral rules could have a price for
responsible treaty members, Sokolski said. “We have to say to Iran:
You don’t have the right to abuse your NPT membership [to
blanket-cover development of non-civil nuclear energy]. But this could
also mean that the United States, France and other nuclear states
accept that some new rules might be imposed on them, too,” he said. •
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----

Posted by David Bier, CADRE Intel Mgr
http://groups.google.com/group/publicintel

“Most men would rather believe than know” (Ben Franklin)
Cargo Security:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/Mag/060306_Issue/060225_perspcartoon_wide.hlarge.jpg
Notes for Converts
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-smiley/notes-for-converts_b_17662.html