Blackwater USA says it can supply forces for conflicts

Blackwater USA runs a 6,000-acre operation in Moyock, N.C. Its Web site
states: "We are not simply a 'private security company.' We are a
professional military, law enforcement, security, peacekeeping and stability
operations firm who provides turnkey solutions."

Blackwater USA runs a 6,000-acre operation in Moyock, N.C. Its Web site
states: "We are not simply a 'private security company.' We are a
professional military, law enforcement, security, peacekeeping and stability
operations firm who provides turnkey solutions." STEVE EARLEY/THE
VIRGINIAN-PILOT FILE PHOTO

By BILL SIZEMORE, The Virginian-Pilot
C March 30, 2006

Stepping into a potential political minefield, Blackwater USA is offering
itself up as an army for hire to police the world's trouble spots.

Cofer Black, vice chairman of the Moyock, N.C.-based private military
company, told an international conference in Amman, Jordan, this week that
Blackwater stands ready to help keep or restore the peace anywhere it is
needed.

Such a role would be a quantum leap for Blackwater and raises a host of
policy questions.

Until now, the eight-year-old company has confined itself to training
military and police personnel and providing security guards for government
and private clients. Under Black's proposal, it would take on an overt
combat role.

"We're low-cost and fast," Black was quoted as saying. "The issue is, who's
going to let us play on their team?"

Unlike national and multinational armies, which tend to get bogged down by
political and logistical limitations, Black said, Blackwater could have a
small, nimble, brigade-size force ready to move into a troubled region on
short notice.

Black's remarks were reported by Defense News, a military publisher that
sponsored the conference where he spoke, the Special Operations Forces
Exhibition.

Chris Taylor, a vice president at Blackwater's Moyock headquarters,
confirmed the account.

"A year ago or so, we realized that we could have a significant positive
impact with a small, professional force in stability operations and
peacekeeping operations," Taylor said.

Blackwater is no stranger to volatile situations. As a security
subcontractor escorting a convoy in Iraq in 2004, the company attracted
worldwide attention when four of its workers were killed, mutilated and hung
from a bridge in Fallujah.

Blackwater, most of whose workers are former members of elite military units
such as the Navy SEALs, now provides security for the U.S. ambassador to
Iraq under a contract with the State Department.

The reconstruction of Iraq has been hampered by insurgent activity, Taylor
said, and Blackwater has the expertise to quell insurgent attacks if invited
by the Iraqi government.

"We clearly couldn't go into the whole country of Iraq," Taylor said. "But
we might be able to go into a region or a city."

Another place where Blackwater could help restore order, Taylor said, is the
Darfur region of Sudan, where millions have been killed or displaced by
civil strife. The company could send troops under the control of the United
Nations, NATO or the African Union, he said.

Taylor and Black said the company would undertake such a mission only with
the approval of the U.S. government.

Peter Singer, a scholar at the Brookings Institution who has written a book
on private military companies, said the concept of private armies engaging
in counter-insurgency missions raises myriad questions about staffing
standards, rules of engagement and accountability.

"No matter how you slice it, it's a private entity making decisions of a
political nature," he said.

"It gets dicey."

Reach Bill Sizemore at (757) 446-2276 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]