<http://www.local10.com/news/8890046/detail.html>
http://www.local10.com/news/8890046/detail.html

Local10.com

Nuclear Chairman Admits Flaw In Turkey Point Security

Plant Had Surveillance Cameras, But They Weren't Set Up To Record

POSTED: 5:41 pm EDT April 21, 2006
UPDATED: 5:50 pm EDT April 21, 2006

MIAMI -- An investigation into a hole intentionally drilled into a pipe at
the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant has led to increased security, and a
change in how surveillance cameras at the plant will be used.

Friday, the investigation brought the chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory
Commission to South Florida.

NRC Chairman Nils Diaz said that he thinks the hole, found earlier this
month in a primary coolant pipe, was most likely made by a disgruntled
worker Florida Power and Light employee or a contractor hired to do work
during the plant shutdown.

The NRC is conducting its own investigation into the hole that was found
while the unit was shutdown for routine maintenance and re-fueling.

"We take any attempt at a nuclear power plant no matter how small, very
seriously," Diaz said.

But Diaz said he wants to assure the public there was no threat to safety --
and that no similar incident will happen again.

"We intend to make enough noise about this to try and discourage anybody
from showing their discontent in this type of manner," Diaz said.

For the first time, Diaz said FP&L did have surveillance cameras outside and
inside the containment building of unit three where the hole was drilled.
But he admitted that while one or more of the cameras might have spotted
something suspicious, the cameras were not set-up to record, so any image
captured was not saved.

"That's one of the lessons learned is that from now on, I understand from
Florida Power and Light, that the video is now going to be kept and
therefore it would be usable," Diaz said.

There has been a reward of $100,000 on the table for a couple of weeks, but
investigators say there has been no information forthcoming that would help
identify who drilled the hole.

The hole was drilled in a pipe that carried super-heated, slightly
radioactive water but that would have posed no significant safety issue,
according to Diaz, even if the hole had not been discovered.

Diaz says FP&L and other nuclear plant operators will now begin doing more
extensive background checks on employees and contractors to prevent
something like this from happening again.

"It is a federal crime and we intend to make sure that everybody knows
that," he said.

Diaz says the NRC is satisfied that Turkey Point is operating safely and has
the right amount of security.

Copyright 2006 by Local10.com <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . All rights
reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or
redistributed.