Alleged?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060603/arrests_reactio
n_060603/20060603?hub=Canada

Leaders condemn alleged Toronto terrorist plot

Updated Sat. Jun. 3 2006 11:51 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper praised police Saturday for arresting 17
suspects who allegedly planned attacks on Canadian soil, and warned that the
country is not immune to terrorism.

"Today, Canada's security and intelligence measures worked," said Harper.
"Canada's new government will pursue its efforts to ensure the national
security of all Canadians."

Later in the day, during an address to 224 new military recruits at the
Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, the prime minister said Canada's unique
values make the nation a target for terrorists.

"We are a target because of who we are, how we live, our society, our
diversity and our values -- values such as freedom, democracy and the rule
of law -- the values that make Canada great," Harper told the recruits.

Meanwhile, Toronto Mayor David Miller revealed that Police Chief Bill Blair
had kept him informed of the terror probe since January.

"I was very concerned, but I'm very relieved and pleased at the joint work
of the police services," Miller said.

"I think we can take a lot of reassurance from the fact their work not only
uncovered the actions as they were ongoing, but knew exactly when to step in
to prevent any serious harm from occurring."

In total, police arrested 12 men and five youths on terrorism charges
Friday.

The group is suspected of plotting to bomb targets in Southern Ontario.
Police found three tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which can be used
to make explosives.

"It was their intent to use it for a terrorist attack," alleged RCMP
assistant commissioner Mike McDonell.

"If I can put this in context for you, the 1995 bombing of the Murrah
Federal Building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people was completed with
only one tonne of ammonium nitrate."

"This group posed a real and serious threat," he added. "It had the capacity
and intent to carry out these acts."

Suspects appear in court

Fifteen of the 17 suspects appeared in a Brampton, Ont. court today, their
hands and feet shackled together. Some family members dodged questions from
reporters, but the father of one of the accused told the media he was
stunned by the developments.

"I'm shocked. It's crazy. It's just crazy. It has no meaning whatsoever,"
said Mohammed Abdelhaleen, father of accused 30-year-old Shareef
Abdelhaleen.

Imam Aly Hindy, from the Salaheddin Islamic Centre near Toronto, claimed
security agencies constantly monitor the centre's mosque and Muslims were
being falsely accused.

"It's not terrorism. It could be some criminal activity with a few guys,
that's all," Hindy told The Canadian Press.

Defence lawyer Rocco Galati is representing two of the accused, one of whom
was born in Canada and is a graduate of the medical sciences program at
McMaster University in Hamilton. The other arrived here when he was 10 years
old.

"My clients come from very respectful, long-standing residents of Canada,
all Canadian citizens," Galati told reporters. "Both of their families are
very well-established professionals, well-established families, (with) no
criminal past whatsoever."

The Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-CAN) issued a
release praising police efforts to combat terrorism.

"As Canadian Muslims we unequivocally condemn terrorism in all of its forms.
Canada is our home and we are deeply concerned about the safety of our
country," said CAIR-CAN executive director Karl Nickner.

With a report from The Canadian Press

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM