NOTE:

1)       Islam does not share "origins" with Christianity or Judaism
2)       Allah is not the same God as the Christian or Jewish God, but
rather the last of the pantheon of pagan Arabic gods.Allah was the moon god.
3)       There are several types of jihad.one a struggle for inner
improvement is the Greater Jihad, the "Lesser Jihad" is holy war for the
advancement of Islam.

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060806
<http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060806&Category=NEWS01&;
ArtNo=608060368&SectionCat=MTCN0301&Template=printart>
&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=608060368&SectionCat=MTCN0301&Template=printart

Local Muslims aim to clear up misconceptions about Islam

By MICHAELA JACKSON
Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, 08/06/06
Amid a culture that casually tosses around phrases such as "Muslim
terrorists" and "Islamic jihad," more than 50 people gathered yesterday to
sort out truth from misinterpretation and find the answer to the question,
"What is Islam?"
In a sunlit room with high ceilings and few chairs, local Muslims and
interested community members sat cross-legged on the floor and listened
intently for more than an hour as leaders of the Islamic Center of Nashville
explained their worldview and patiently answered questions about Islam's
place in the world.
"In the midst of political violence in the Middle East, we usually get a
good turnout," said Khaled Sakalla, the secretary of the center's board and
the chairman of the public relations committee. "People hear things (about
Islam) on the news, and a lot of unpleasant stories come up, and they want
to know more."
The confusion about the association of Islam and terrorism is a central
reason the center reaches out to educate the community, said Sakalla, a
Palestinian who now lives in Nashville.
"Our main goal for the city of Nashville is that we're hoping that the term
'Muslim terrorist' can be eliminated, because they don't go together. A
terrorist is violent and 'Muslim' means peace. You're either a terrorist or
a Muslim. You can't be both."
Islam shares its origins with Christianity and Judaism, both of which call
their believers to worship the one God who they believe created the world.
Allah, the Islamic name for God, is at the center of Islam, which is often
shrouded in confusion.
"Allah is not a different God," Sakalla said. "Allah is no different from
the God people worship here, or worship in Japan."
The crucial difference between Christianity and Islam is that Muslims do not
recognize Jesus as the Son of God, but instead as a prophet less powerful
than Muhammad, the last messenger of God.
Speakers also addressed political questions about the connection of recent
Middle Eastern events to practical Islam.
The concept of a jihad is often associated with military force, but Imam
Abdulhakim Mohamed, the leader of the congregation, said a jihad is any
activity done with all of one's might. He said the term jihad is even used
when a Muslim is thoroughly explaining Islam to a non-Muslim.
"What I'm doing right now with you is jihad - without killing you," Mohamed
said.
"Putting yourself in harm's way (for your beliefs) is a last resort, but
it's also a religious resort. . I am required religiously to do whatever it
takes to practice my
faith."
Mohamed also explained the difference between the Sunni and Shiite factions
of Islam. The difference is rooted in the centuries-old Shiite belief that
the head of the Islamic state should be the closest available relative of
Muhammad, which stands in opposition to the Sunni belief that the leader
should be democratically elected.
The rift has grown more complex with time, but the origin of the Muslim
sectarianism is political in nature, Mohamed said.
Chris Cotten, a master of divinity student at Lipscomb University, said he
particularly enjoyed Mohamed's explanation of the Sunni-Shiite split. Cotten
said he is not interested in converting to Islam, but he came to the open
house to learn more about the religion.
"They have a real sense of community, it seems to me - a tight sense of
identity that Christianity has sort of lost," he said. "In the current
climate, this is a vulnerable position (for Muslims) to be in, and as a
Christian myself, I think it's really important for us to be protective,
almost (of the Muslim community).
"I think that fear gets in our way, even though, as I understand it as a
Christian, that's what God would have us to do - to look out for those who
are weak and vulnerable."