http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/8/6/102805.shtml?s=al&promo_co
de=23C9-1
Israel Captures Top Hezbollah Operative
Kenneth R. Timmerman, NewsMax.com,  6 August 2006

JERUSALEM, Israel -- The Israeli government announced today that it captured
a key Hezbollah operative during commando raids deep into Lebanon, and that
it was currently holding twenty Hezbollah fighters as prisoners-of-war.
Over the past week, Israel has conducted two deep-penetration operations
behind enemy lines, to attack Hezbollah positions in Tyre and Baalbek where
they believed civilians might also be present.
Stung by international criticism that it has bombed civilians by accident in
Lebanon,

"we have preferred to risk the lives of our own soldiers than to kill
innocents,"

military sources told NewsMax.

The Israeli cabinet met this morning in Jerusalem to get intelligence and
operational briefings on the fighting.

Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin, head of Israeli Military Intelligence, told the
cabinet that one of the twenty Hezbollah fighters captured  during the
commando raids  over the past two weeks was a mid-level Hezbollah operative
who was personally involved in planning and carrying out the July 12
kidnapping  of two Israeli soldiers.

The cross-border kidnapping, and Hezbollah's rocket strikes against Haifa
later the same day, were the events that sparked the current fighting.

Cabinet sources told Newsmax that Israel was "hitting all trucks  coming
from Syria" in an effort to prevent Syria and Iran from resupplying
Hezbollah in Lebanon.

"Iran is supporting Hezbollah in every way possible, including intelligence
and operations,"

the sources said. Iran was also providing Hezbollah "with intelligence on
Israel," they added.

Until now, the Red Cross has not visited any of the 20 Hezbollah captives,
the sources said.

Syria has placed its military forces on high alert. To avoid an accidental
clash that could lead to war,  "Israel has let Syria know that it has no
intention of attacking Syria," the prime minister's office said. "We have
had no reaction from the Syrians."

However, the official said "we know of no reduction" in arms shipments from
Syria to Hezbollah.
"Syria and Iran are working in conjunction" to supply Hezbollah with
weaponry and to keep the terrorist organization from collapsing  faced with
the Israeli military onslaught.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah "is now hiding in a bunker," lessening his
ability to meet with other Hezbollah leaders.

Israeli military intelligence believes that Lebanese public opinion toward
Hezbollah has shifted in recent days.

"Instead of being seen as the defender of Lebanon, Nasrallah is now seen by
Lebanese as the destroyer of Lebanon,"

Maj. Gen. Yadlin told the cabinet this morning.

In the deadliest attack in the war to date, more than ten Israeli civilians
were killed when a Hezbollah rocket hit the Kfar Giladi kibbutz this
afternoon, just south of Metulla, on Israel's border with Lebanon.
"It was a direct hit on a crowd of people," Maj. Gen. Dan Ronen, the chief
of the northern police command, told Israel Army Radio.
Rockets also crashed into Haifa and Nahariya along the coast, and into a
half dozen smaller cities along the Lebanese border in the north, according
to the Jerusalem Post.