http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/articles/2006/08/03/news/news1.txt

Prosecutor joins FBI, district attorney in Web site investigation
BY GREGORY OREAR, Managing Editor
Published: Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:28 PM CDT
 <http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/articles/2006/08/03/news/news1.eml>
E-mail this story | Print this page
<http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/articles/2006/08/03/news/news1.prt>

KIRKSVILLE - The Adair County prosecutor is working with federal officials
on an investigation into death threats allegedly posted on a Kirksville
man's Web site.

Mark Williams told the Daily Express in an exclusive interview that he met
with agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and representatives
from the United States District Attorney's office this week regarding Alex
Linder's Web site, the Vanguard News Network.

The Web site was shut down last week after Linder allegedly posted a death
against Federal Court of Canada Justice Konrad W. von Finckenstein, members
of the Canadian Human Rights Commission and Ottawa lawyer Richard Warman.

Williams and federal authorities are now trying to decide if any laws were
broken, and if so, which ones.

"We are trying to figure out if this crosses the line," Williams said. "The
FBI is going to further discuss the case with the U.S. Attorneys office and
they will contact me."

Williams and Kirksville Police Chief Jim Hughes both received letters last
week from Canadian officials regarding the site.

"The Canadian authorities who sent us the letter ... they have taken it very
seriously," Williams said. "And they asked us to investigate it, which we
are."

The threats were posted after London, Ontario resident Tomasz Winnicki was
jailed for nine months for contempt of court. Winnicki had violated a court
order from von Finckenstein barring him from posting hate messages.

The London Free Press in Ontario, Canada, reported after being informed of
the threats, the Internet service provider shut down the main Web site and
the VNN forum July 26.

However, Linder indicated in an interview this morning that the ISP, Cable
Bay, had nothing to do with the site going offline.

"The P1 service was actually yanked from pressure I think came from Canada,"
he said. "Essentially, you have foreigners messing with our first amendment
rights."

He also asserted he broke no laws.

"I'm here, I'm not in jail and I didn't do anything," he said.

Linder said this is the 10th time he has had to change sites, and that this
time, they have added a number of sites and servers.

"They can still knock us down, but we can get back up again," he said.

Linder said a Web blog version of the Site came back online within three or
four days, and the forum site was back this morning.

However, as of noon, the forum site in fact was still offline.