http://www.asharqalawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=3&id=5884
<http://www.asharqalawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=3&id=5884>

Tehran and Hezbollah's Secret History

05/08/2006

By Ali Nouri Zadeh

London, Asharq Al-Awsat- During the student uprising in July 1999 and
the violent confrontations that followed between Arab residents of the
Iranian city of Ahvaz and the security services, many student leaders
and Arab officials in the city spoke about the presence of hundreds of
Arab troops within the ranks of the Iranian security forces and the
Revolutionary Guards units quelled the protests.

At the time, it was thought these Arab troops were members of the Badr
Brigade, the military wing of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution
in Iraq . Yet, many who encountered these foreign soldiers commented on
their Lebanese and Syrian accents.

The issue remained a mystery until this week, when Ali Akbar
Mohatashemi, the former Iranian ambassador to Syria and the founding
father of Hezbollah, revealed that members of the Party of God
participated in the Iran-Iraq war side by side with the Revolutionary
Guards. He described the relationship between Hezbollah and the Iranian
regime as much more than the one linking a revolutionary regime with a
foreign organization. Hezbollah, he indicated, is one of the
institutions of the ruling regime in Tehran and a main element of its
military.

Mohtashemi, one of Ayatollah Khomeini's students, told the Iranian
Sharq newspaper on Wednesday, in a discussion about the ongoing conflict
in Lebanon, "Hezbollah has a huge arsenal of heavy artillery rockets
and missiles, including Katyusha and Zelzal. Israel is 200km long which
means that a Zelzal-1 missile, which has a range of 250km, is capable of
targeting all of Israel."

Hezbollah's continued ability to inflict damage on the Israeli army and
to fire its missiles on northern Israel can be attributed, Mohtashemi
revealed, to its experience during the Iran-Iraq war. "Part of
Hezbollah's skill goes back to its experience fighting and trainingÂ…
soldiers from Hezbollah fought amongst our troops or separately."

"After Israel invaded Lebanon in 1982, I was very worried about the
fate of Lebanon and Syria. At the time, I was the Iranian ambassador in
Damascus. I traveled to Tehran and met with Ayatollah Khomeini. He said
the only way to repel the Zionists was to mobilize young Lebanese men
and train them. A new era started afterward, as Shiaa men underwent
military training and Hezbollah was born. We witnessed the resistance
kicking out the Israel from Lebanon, after eighteen years of
occupation."

In the last few years, Hezbollah "succeeded in strengthening its
political and military presence in Lebanon and the region. It also
developed its fighting capabilities and increased its military presence.
Today, the areas where Hezbollah fighters and leaders used to live have
been destroyed by Israeli warplanes. But, in spite of this, Hezbollah is
still capable of firing one missile after another toward northern
Israel."

According to Mohtashemi, more than a 100,000 Shiaa men have undergone
military training since Hezbollah's inception, both in Lebanon and
Iran."

Hezbollah, the former Iranian diplomat said, "did not expect such a
ferocious Israeli response. Its leadership expected small operations to
hurt its capabilities but not an all-out war."