http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OWFkZDUxMjYxM2I1OWIxZjJmNDFmMTk3MTlhNjg
5NzM=

The 1973 Syndrome
What's wrong with Israel?

By Meyrav Wurmser
A few days after the outbreak of the war, I spoke to old Israeli friends.
They live in the Tel Aviv area, and are therefore not directly exposed to
the missile attacks in the north. Like most Israeli families, though, they
have friends and relatives in the north, some of whom they now host in their
home. "Are you winning?" I asked. "No," my friend said. "We can't win. For
years we all knew that the military was not training - that the state was
cutting military budgets and closing down bases. We knew it was just a
question of time before this would happen." "What is your mood?" I asked,
hearing gravity in his voice. "We can't believe that we don't even have the
ability to stop an organization like Hezbollah. It's not even a state, you
know. Where is our great Israeli army? This feels like 1973 all over again."
I've heard that comparison again and again from other Israelis in the past
few days. And I've heard a great deal of disappointment - in a political
leadership that is not leading and a military leadership that is not
performing.

I was a child during the 1973 Yom Kippur War, but I remember it well. Israel
was not defeated or destroyed in that war, but the Arab armies' ability to
wage a broad surprise attack and seriously challenge the Israeli military
shocked us all. The failure to anticipate the war and to obviate severe
losses quickly became known as the mechdal, (great oversight). This
negligence on the part of military intelligence eventually led to a
commission of inquiry, which in turn forced the dismissal of much of the
Israeli Defense Forces' leadership and the resignation of Prime Minister
Golda Meir and her defense minister, Moshe Dayan. This smashed all illusions
of the Israeli public that leaders could be trusted and that victory could
always be rapidly assured. It robbed them of the triumphalism bred by the
1967 war, in which the Israeli army stunningly defeated its enemies in a
mere six days. 1973 was a rude awakening, reminding Israel of its
vulnerability. The war now being waged on Israel's northern cities is
likewise stirring such an awakening.

The Israeli public, two million of whom are refugees from their northern
homes or hunkering down in shelters, is quietly questioning its leadership
and its military prowess. As a nation full of pride for its military - a
true military of the masses in which service is compulsory - even a modicum
of doubt in victory is a tremendous rupture for the Israeli psyche. This is
a nation of soldiers, parents of soldiers, and friends of soldiers, and so a
loss of faith in the army is a loss of faith in oneself. But such is the
reality in Israel. "Where is the army of 1967?" is a common question. In the
absence of visible results from the incursion into Lebanon, under the strain
of continuous rocket fire, the public is growing more and more concerned.
They fear that complacency overtook the army in post-Oslo years; that real
regional dangers were tragically overlooked in favor of local policing,
leaving soldiers more comfortable at checkpoints than in battlefields. They
fear that Palestinian claims and the need to suppress Palestinian terror
emanating from Palestinian-controlled territories overshadowed the threats
of Lebanon, Syria, and Iran - the current-day menaces lurking on the border.
As Professor Zeev Sternhall wrote recently in Haaretz newspaper: "the
average citizen, who is not working day and night in the corridors of power
and is not sunning himself near the generals' command rooms, is at a loss.
Is this how we are restoring the IDF's power of deterrence? . If several
thousand guerrilla fighters do constitute an existential danger to a country
with a strike force and weaponry that are unparalleled in this part of the
world, how is it that during the past five or six years we heard nothing to
that effect from government leaders?" In other words, once again there seems
to have been a mechdal, a grave, fatal oversight on the part of the military
and the government.

It is not only Israeli citizens who are sounding the alarm, but parts of the
army itself. Prime Minister Olmert spoke last week at the graduation
ceremony of the National Defense College, outlining his strategic vision.
When Olmert pronounced that "in this war we have already achieved
unparalleled achievements that have changed the face of the Middle East,"
Haaretz reported that senior officers in the audience wondered aloud, "Is it
possible that he is looking at the same war that we are?" Other officers
argued that if the Israeli moves were presented as a war exercise in the
classroom, they would not have gotten a passing grade. Others spoke of
hubris, of the faulty belief that the air force alone could overcome the
Katyusha problem, and of the prolonged negligence in training reserve units
and equipping them properly.

And yet, in the midst of all of this criticism, the Israeli government
continues to shout victory. Last Wednesday, the very day that 210 rockets
fell in the north - a record number with record range - Prime Minister
Olmert declared that the offensive in Lebanon has "entirely destroyed" the
infrastructure of Hezbollah. "I think Hezbollah has been disarmed by the
military operation of Israel to a large degree," he confidently continued.
Maybe he is right, but Israelis don't buy it. Nor are wars won by clean
metrics; they are the result of perceptions of victory or defeat, strength
and weakness. This enormous gap between public perceptions and overblown
p.r. statements is growing and serving to alienate Israeli citizens further
and further from their elected officials. Moreover, mentions of further
unilateral Israeli disengagements from the West Bank during this wartime are
poorly timed, as many Israelis view the battle in Lebanon as proof that
unilateral withdrawals do not work. Still, Olmert triumphantly predicted
last week that the fighting in Lebanon would give "new momentum" to his
convergence - the other name for disengagement- plan. The result: National
religious reservists from West Bank settlements, well known for their
commitment to sacrifice on behalf of the country and many of whom form the
backbone of the very units upon which Israeli now relies most in Lebanon,
are threatening to refuse service. The way they see it, they will not work
for a government that will use this war as a political tool to endanger
their homes, their lives, and the lives of Israeli citizens on the whole.
National Religious Party chairman MK Zevulun Orlev encapsulated these
sentiments well when he said that "any sentient person understands the war
has defeated the convergence. Ignoring the fact that a further retreat from
Judea and Samaria will bring the Katyushas and Qassams to Petah Tikva and
Ben Gurion International Airport is political and military blindness."

Make no mistake; Israel will win this war in any objective sense - as it did
in 1973. Hassan Nasrallah and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who crow about this as
the beginning of Israel's collapse because its people have been proven to
have no stomach to fight, are deluded. Those who hope that the will of the
Israeli people has been broken are betting against reality. What has failed
is not the will of the Israeli people, but their leadership and elites. The
blindness displayed by those elites toward the future and the recent
blindness of the past will no doubt yield political consequences and a
reckoning.

The mechdal of 2006 has fractured Israeli society along the lines of the
government and the governed, shattering illusions of invincible military
power and trustworthy leadership. Historically, this is the stuff of major
political change. The 1973 war ultimately led to the 1977 "revolution" in
Israeli politics that brought the Likud and Menahem Begin to power. It is
too early to predict just what changes we will see and who will pick up the
pieces, but a vulnerable populace without strong, in-touch leadership is
surely one that is ripe for upheaval.

- Meyrav Wurmser is the director of the Center for Middle East Policy at the
<http://www.hudson.org/> Hudson Institute.