Am I missing something here?

No reference to Muslims, al-Qaeda or Iran?

Bruce

Statement by DAC Peter Clarke, Head of The Anti-Terrorist Branch

____________________
THE FOLLOWING IS ATTRIBUTABLE TO DAC PETER CLARKE, HEAD OF THE
ANTI-TERRORIST BRANCH, CENTRAL HALL, 11.50:
"I would like to give you some details about the counter terrorist
operation, which took place overnight. I shall focus purely on the criminal
investigation. As always, I must preface my remarks with a request for
restraint - and by that I mean restraint in the reporting of events so far
as they relate to those who have been arrested. We must all, please, be
careful to say or do nothing that might prejudice the right of any
individual to a fair trial.
The investigation has focused on intelligence, which suggested that a plot
was in existence to blow up transatlantic passenger aircraft, in flight. The
intelligence suggested that this was to be achieved by means of concealed
explosive devices smuggled onto the aircraft in hand baggage. The
intelligence suggested that the devices were to be constructed in the United
Kingdom, and taken through British airports. The number, destination and
timing of the flights that might be attacked remain the subject of
investigation.
This has been, and continues to be, a fast moving investigation.
Today marks the culmination of one phase of what is a major operation that
has already lasted several months, and will undoubtedly last long into the
future.
During the investigation an unprecedented level of surveillance has been
undertaken and our objective is to gather intelligence and evidence in
support of the investigation. We have been looking at meetings, movements,
travel, spending and the aspirations of a large group of people. This has
involved close co-operation, not only between agencies and police forces in
the United Kingdom, but also internationally. As is so often the case in
these investigations, the alleged plot has global dimensions.
The investigation reached a critical point last night when the decision was
made to take urgent action in order to disrupt what we believe was being
planned. As always in these cases, the safety of the public was our
overriding concern.
Throughout the night a significant number of arrests were made. All the
arrests were made on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation
of Acts of terrorism under the Terrorism Act 2000.
The people arrested remain in custody in London where officers will pursue
the investigation from the Metropolitan Police Anti-Terrorist branch.
Searches are also underway at a number of business and residential premises
in London and elsewhere. We anticipate that these will take some time to
complete.
I am sure you will understand and realise that this is a very early stage in
what will be a meticulous, painstaking criminal investigation. We will now
be embarking on the next stage of the investigation, an investigation that
will take us wherever the evidence leads. As and when I am able to do so, I
will give out information on the progress of the investigation. But please
be aware that we will only release specific information when we are sure it
is correct. At this very early stage it is not appropriate for me to answer
questions. I will give you further information only when I am able and it is
appropriate to do so. At this point I must focus on the criminal
investigation and any subsequent legal process, and refrain from
speculation."
_______________________________
Statement by Deputy Commissioner, Paul Stephenson at 09.50 outside New
Scotland Yard
"We are confident that we have disrupted a plan by terrorists to cause
untold death and destruction and commit mass murder.
The Commissioner has been fully briefed and he is at NSY today. He and I
want to pay tribute to officers from the Met's Anti-Terrorist Branch and the
security services for the work they have undertaken to disrupt these
activities.
We believe that the terrorists' aim was to smuggle explosives onto airplanes
in hand luggage and to detonate these in flight.
We also believe that the intended targets were flights from the UK to the
USA.
Overnight we have arrested 21people. The majority of those arrests have been
in London but we have also made arrests in Thames Valley and Birmingham. We
are currently searching a number of addresses. We are grateful to our
colleagues in other force areas for their support. DAC Peter Clarke Head of
the Anti-Terrorist Branch will give further details about this part of the
operation later this morning.
As the operation got underway we spoke to community leaders to make them
aware that a major anti-terrorist operation was taking place but without
giving specific details about locations. This extensive dialogue will
continue throughout the operation.
We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out
with public safety upper most in our minds. This is a major operation, which
will inevitably be lengthy and complex. The UK is now at the highest
possible level of alert. We will consider the threat in its wider sense and
take whatever action is necessary to protect people in London and throughout
the Country.
Measures have already been put in place to restrict hand luggage taken onto
aircraft. This will inevitably cause significant delay and we ask people to
remain calm, patient and vigilant at this very difficult time.
Put simply this was a plot to commit mass murder on an unimaginable scale."
_______________________________
A major terrorist plot to allegedly blow up aircraft in mid-flight has been
disrupted in a joint pre-planned intelligence-led operation by the Met's
Anti-terrorist Branch and Security Service.
It is believed that the aim was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on
board the aircraft in hand luggage.
It is also believed that the attacks would have been particularly targeted
at flights from the UK to the USA.
Overnight police have arrested a number of people in London. These arrests
are the culmination of a major covert counter-terrorist operation lasting
several months.
We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out
with public safety uppermost in our minds. This is a major operation which
inevitably will be lengthy and complex.
Home Secretary John Reid said:
"Overnight the police, with the full knowledge of Ministers, have carried
out a major counter-terrorism operation to disrupt what we believe to be a
major threat to the UK and international partners.
The police, acting with the Security Service MI5, are investigating an
alleged plot to bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight
explosions, causing a considerable loss of life.The police believe the
alleged plot was a very significant one indeed.
At 2am this morning the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre raised the UK threat
state to its highest level - 'Critical'. (See Home Office link below)
This is now being publicly announced as I promised to Parliament last month.
This is a precautionary measure. We are doing everything possible to disrupt
any further terrorist activity.
This will mean major disruption at all UK airports from today. But as far as
is possible we want people to go about their business as normal."
For information on travel please visit the Department for Transport Internet
site. (See Dept. of Transport link below)
 <http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/security/current-threat-level/> linkHome
Office Threat Level and Advice Page

<http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_61
2280.hcsp%20> linkDepartment of Transport Advice Page
Published by Press Bureau, Metropolitan Police
Published on 10/08/2006
http://www.police.uk/content/viewarticle.asp?xslfile=~xsl~transform_article.
xsl&xmlfile=~_content~xml~news~MPS_AntiTerrorOp_dh2.xml&refererURI=http://ww
w.met.police.uk/&refererDomain=www.met.police.uk