http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/article.jsp?id=7532&siteSection=28

Alleged Plot 'Could Have Killed Unprecedented Numbers'

John Bingham
Press Association Newsfile

Had it succeeded, the alleged plot to blow up aircraft mid-air could have
killed unprecedented numbers of passengers, terrorism experts suggested
today.
Prof Paul Wilkinson of the Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political
Violence (CSTPV) at St Andrews University said nothing on this apparent
scale had succeeded before.
"This is really a very ambitious plot indeed, it is the kind of spectacular
potentially lethal attack which the al Qaida network has been particularly
interested in carrying out,'' he said.
"I would be very surprised if it was found that they were not involved as a
movement.
"It is possible I suppose that some other movement could have copied the
kind of techniques that had been used by the al Qaida network but I think
that's unlikely.
"I don't think we should in any way underestimate it, it's a significant and
serious development and the authorities are right to be responding with
exceptional measures.''
He said that the only close comparison could be with the foiled Bojinka plot
to blow up 12 Western airliners simultaneously in Asia in the mid 1990s.
The plot, which would have killed thousands in the Asia Pacific region, was
scuppered when plans were found in the Manila, Philippines, base of
terrorist Ramzi Yousef who also planned the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.
"We know from the investigation of the 9/11 commission that the original
plot for the 9/11 attacks was to attack 10 cities and not just New York and
Washington as happened, it really does show that this is a movement which is
intent on causing massive death and destruction.''
Prof Wilkinson said that Yousef's career added credibility to suggestions
that plotters may have been planning to take liquid bomb "ingredients'' on
board.
He said that Yousef was known to have developed techniques for liquid-based
devices which - crucially - could be assembled quickly on-board an aircraft
making it very difficult to detect beforehand.
He said that the experience of the use of suicide bombers on planes made
such threats likely.
"There are people who would be looking for the recipes and that is the
reason any information on this is very dangerous to put around,'' he said.
"What I think is the real worry is that sufficient plotters are prepared to
take the necessary ingredients on board the plane and assemble the device
which would then be used there on the plane.''