Twenty-fifth Canadian soldier dies in Afghanistan due to
'weapons-related-incident'

Donald McArthur, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, August 09, 2006
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- The 25th Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan was
accidentally shot by a fellow Canadian soldier about noon Wednesday, just
days after arriving in Kandahar to begin his tour of duty.
Master Cpl. Jeffrey Scott Walsh, based out of Shilo, Man. with the second
battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, was conducting
routine operations along Highway One near the Zhari district centre, about
20 km west of Kandahar city, when the accident occurred.
He arrived in Kandahar less than a week ago as part of a month-long
relief-in-place operation that will see fresh troops replace more than 2,000
troops returning to Canada.
He is the first soldier in this incoming rotation to be killed.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Walsh will not be forgotten.
"I was deeply saddened today to learn of the death of Master Corporal
Jeffrey Scott Walsh. He will be greatly missed," he said.
"On behalf of Canadians, I extend my sincere sympathy to the family, friends
and loved ones of Master Corporal Walsh, and am hopeful that they find
strength in knowing that our nation mourns at their side.
"We wish to express our condolences to the family and friends of Master Cpl.
Walsh," said Lt.-Col. Brian Irwin, chief of staff for Task Force
Afghanistan.
"Our thoughts and prayers go to him, his family, his wife, his children and
to his friends."
The incident is being probed by the National Investigation Service, an
independent and internal body within the military. An investigator has
already visited the site of the incident.
Troops coping with the tragedy came under insurgent mortar fire in the hours
after the shooting but the military said the two incidents were not
connected. The base near Zhari frequently comes under fire.
Earlier in the day, about 7:45 a.m., six Canadian soldiers bound with
supplies for Spinboldak on the porous border with Pakistan were injured when
their vehicle collided with a truck on Highway 4 about 30 km south of
Kandahar. They were airlifted by helicopter to the air field hospital where
four were treated and released for minor injuries.
Two remain in hospital. One is listed in good condition and the other in
fair condition.
The fatal mishap occurred while Master Cpl. Walsh, who touched down in
Kandahar on Aug. 3 or 4, was on patrol and learning the ropes from soldiers
bound for home in what the military refers to as a left-side-right-side
operation. Incoming soldiers sit beside the soldiers they are relieving in
these exercises and then their roles are reversed.
The military wouldn't say whether the weapon involved was a sidearm or the
C-7 assault rifles Canadian soldiers carry and wouldn't confirm whether the
mishap occurred inside or outside of a vehicle. It is also unclear whether
the gun involved belonged to a soldier who had just arrived in theatre or
was bound for home.
Irwin said Canadian soldiers come to Afghanistan only after receiving the
best possible training and come outfitted with the "best possible" weapons
and equipment.
"In a theatre like this, though, there is always a small degree or margin
for error," he said.
"Regrettably, in this incident it appears that there was an accident and
certainly appears that that margin of error may have been crossed."
The military has already ruled out enemy fire as playing a role in the
incident and Irwin confirmed that when soldiers are on patrol their "weapon
would be loaded, it would be readied but the weapon would be on safe."
Master Cpl. Walsh is the sixth Canadian soldier killed in less than a week
and the 17th since operations moved to volatile southern Afghanistan in
February. The grim week - the grimmest Canada has endured since joining the
war on terror in 2002 - is a bitter pill but soldiers' support for the
mission hasn't wavered, said Irwin.
"Without a doubt, losing a soldier is something that we all take to heart,
without a doubt a tragic loss that affects us all," he said.
"Without a doubt, the resolve remains within the task force. The soldiers
are committed and understand the necessity of this mission that they've
undertaken."
The toughest seven days Canada has faced in Afghanistan began last Thursday
when four soldiers were killed and ten injured during a fierce and
protracted fight with Taliban insurgents in and around an abandoned school
near Pashmul, west of Kandahar City.
Cpl. Christopher Jonathan Reid was killed when insurgents targeted his light
armoured vehicle with an improvised explosive device. Several hours later,
shrapnel from a rocket propelled grenade killed Sgt. Vaughn Ingram, Cpl.
Bryce Jeffrey Keller and Pte. Kevin Dallaire.
On Saturday, just hours after more than 3,000 soldiers from several NATO
countries bid farewell to their four fallen comrades in a sombre ramp
ceremony here, Master Cpl. Raymond Arndt, a reservist with the Loyal
Canadian Regiment in Edmonton, was killed and three soldiers injured, when a
G-Wagon making a supply run to Spinboldak collided with a civilian truck.
Wednesday's collision that injured six soldiers occurred on the same highway
and in the same area.
The almost daily tally of casualties involving Canadian soldiers is coming
at a time when opinion polls indicate wavering support on the home-front for
the mission in Afghanistan.
The latest incidents occurred the day after Lt.-Gen. David Richards, the
commander of the NATO-led International Security Force here, visited the
Kandahar air field and urged Canada not to cut and run in the face of
mounting casualties.
"We've got 37 nations here firmly alongside us and I think that's giving the
Afghan people great strength and I hope, in a sense of solidarity, it will
give the Canadian people that same spirit of optimism," said Richards.
"We're in this together and we can win. I have absolutely no doubt."