http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=175
41124
<http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=17
541124&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=braced-for-terror-attack-name_page.
html>
&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=braced-for-terror-attack-name_page.html

Braced for terror attack

Aug 10 2006

Michelle Fiddler, Neil Hodgson And Mary Murtagh

Armed police officers patrols JLAARMED police patrolled Liverpool John
Lennon airport today as a major terrorist threat sparked a national alert.
Huge queues built up at check-in desks across the country as airport staff
enforced rigid security procedures. Itfollows news of asuspected plot to
allegedlyblow up aircraft in mid-flight early today.
A joint operation by the Metropolitan police's anti-terrorist branchand
security service uncovered a suspected plan to detonate bombs smuggled on
board an aircraft in hand luggage.
Home Office minister Dr John Reid said the plot was designed to "bring down
a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions, causing a considerable
loss of life".
Twenty-five people have been arrested in connection with the terrorist plot,
most in London with some in the Thames Valley and Birmingham. All arethought
to be British. Searches were continuing at a number of other addresses.
Heathrow closed at 9am to all incoming flights which had not yet taken off.
Todaythe usual bustling airport forecourt outside JLA's terminal building
was eerily quiet.
All traffic apartfrom buses and taxis was directed to acar parkto drop off
and pick up passengers.
Alongside armed police, mobile CCTV vans were stationed at the airportand
asniffer dogchecked passengers and their luggage.
Queues built up at the check-in desks as passengers transferred permitted
personal belongings into clear carrier bags.
All other hand luggage had to go inside airplanes' holds.
Approximately 20 flights were due to depart beforenoon, butby 9am seven of
those flights, including those to Shannon, Berlin, Venice and Carcassonne,
had already been cancelled.
Marjorie Nicholl from St Helens said: "We heard before we left the house
this morning about the problems. We're only going for a day trip to Belfast
so we weren't stowing any luggage anyway.
"We left our handbags and everything we didn't need at home. All I'm
carrying is my money, passport and glasses.
"I found it fine in the airportthis morning. We've been largely unaffected
but all the other passengers seem calm. I think everybody understands why
this has to happen."
Managers at the airport, which carries around 4.5 million passengers every
year, were advising those catching planes or picking up arrivals to allow
more time for the security checks.
The area in front of the terminal and the pick-up/drop-offareawas cleared,
and only passengers were allowed inside the terminal.
Liverpool JLA corporate affairs manager Robin Tudor said: "Arrangements for
buses and taxis remain as normal.
"Thereare queues to the roundabout near the airport and people walking
across the grass area to reach us."
Police were stopping people on Speke Hall Avenue to warn of the delays. Mr
Tudor said passengers had to follow check-in procedures.
"There will be no internet check-in, so people who have printed off their
own boarding cards at home will have to go through the normal check-in.
"No hand luggage will be allowed. Passengers need to think very carefully.
They should put all hand luggage inside suitcases."
The security searches were also stepped up, causing long delays.
Mr Tudor said: "Searches have been stepped up. We know it is a slow process
but it will now be more rigorous."
The heightened alert will remain in place indefinitely.
A Department of Transport spokesman said: "We hope that these measures,
whichare being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place
for a limited period only."
What you can take with you
TRAVELLERS can take limited hand luggage in a transparent plastic carrier
bag. Nothing can be carried in pockets. Items allowed are:
. Pocket-size wallets and purses plus contents.
. Essential travel documents.
. Prescription medicines and medical items essential for the flight, not
liquid.
. Glasses without glasses cases.
. Contact lens holders, not bottles of solution.
. Tissues (unboxed). . Keys (not electrical). . Female sanitary items,
unboxed.
. Baby food and milk. Contents must be tasted by accompanying passenger.
. Nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags.
. Pushchairs and walking aids will be X-ray screened and only
airport-provided wheelchairs can pass through screening point.
. Passengers to the US face secondary searches at boarding gate.
. Any liquids will be taken from passengers.
. Electrical or battery-powered items, including laptops, mobile phones,
iPods and remote controls, must be checked in as hold baggage.
Three-hour flight delay warnings at Manchester
HUGE queues built up at Manchester airport today as passengers were warned
flights could be delayed by up to three hours.
Transatlantic travellers, who normally check-in three hours before flight
times, were told to arrive as soon as possible and told their planes could
be delayed by up to three hours.
There were no extra security checks on vehicles driven to the airport.
But long lines built up at the check-in desks as passengers were asked more
security questions.
The threat level at the airport has been increased from high to critical.
As with other airports, no hand luggage was allowed on any departing flight.
Travellers were warned to put normal hand luggage inside suitcases before
check-in to try to reduce delays.
Passengers going through security gates faced a thorough search using
hand-held metal detectors.
People arriving at the airport to collect arriving passengers were told to
attend as normal.
Airport spokesman Trevor Eves said: "We would ask anyone who is leaving on a
flight today to pack hand luggage in their suitcase before travelling to the
airport.
"There will be no exceptions."
Useful numbers
Contact details for information: Liverpool John Lennon airport: 0870 750
8484 www.liverpooljohnlennonairport.com
<http://www.liverpooljohnlennonairport.com/>
Manchester airport: 0161-489 3000 www.manchesterairport.co.uk
<http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/>