http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2006/20060810130748.aspx

Nasrallah's Dreams of Israel Annihilation Missing from NYT

Neil MacFarquhar's
<http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2006/20060807142613.aspx> glossy profile
of Hezbollah's terrorist leader Sheikh Nasrallah
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/world/middleeast/07nasrallah.html?pagewan
ted=all>  included this description: "He always calls Israel 'the Zionist
entity,' maintaining that all Jewish immigrants should return to their
countries of origin and that there should be one Palestine with equality for
Muslims, Jews and Christians."
Wednesday night on the O'Reilly Factor, Bernard Goldberg, the former CBS
News reporter who confronted his network's liberal bias, bashed the gullible
Times profile and pointed out that MacFarquhar's rendering, while meant to
be a rare bit of criticism of Nasrallah, was actually far less sinister than
what Nasrallah really has in mind for Jews once they all get back to Israel.
Goldberg reminded viewers of Nasrallah's assertion
<http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDZmY2E1YjY3YTRlOGYwN2IzNGEzODU2ZDNiMm
JiM2I>  in the October 22, 2002 Lebanon Daily Star  that if the Jews "all
gather in Israel it will save us the trouble of going after them world
wide."
Goldberg on the Factor: "And the Times just reports this as if he really
means it. I don't think any serious person thinks he really believes it. So
I do a little checking, and I mean a 'little' checking. And I come up with
one more sentence from Sheikh Nasrallah that was in a major paper in
Lebanon. And it says, 'If the Jews all gather in Israel, it will save us the
trouble of going after them worldwide.' The Times left that out of the
story. Now, that's either sloppy reporting or willful ignorance. I don't
know which it is, but neither of them is a good thing."
A Nexis search suggests that Nasrallah's dream of Jewish annihilation has
appeared just once in the Times, and then only in a May 2004 book review by
novelist Elena Lappin of an anti-Israeli book.

By the way, The Daily Star signed an exclusive marketing representation,
printing and distribution agreement with the Times international edition,
the International Herald Tribune, in 2000.