The world is in denial over the threat from Islam.

Bruce

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1863847,00.html

Irish 'in denial' over threat by al-Qaeda

Henry McDonald, Ireland editor
Sunday September 3, 2006
 <http://www.observer.co.uk/> The Observer
Irish society is in denial over the threat of Islamic fundamentalist
terrorism on its soil, an expert in counter-terrorism has warned.
Former US customs official Joe King has conducted a survey of the Dutch, UK
and Irish police forces' responses to the Islamist terror threat for the
John Jay Police College in New York City and concluded that the threat is
not being taken seriously enough.
In an interview with The Observer, King, associate professor at the
college's department of law, said: 'During our last trip we tried to look at
the wider community than just the Garda, meeting banking, tourism, legal and
members of the literary community. I would say there was no fear or even
awareness of a jihadist threat ... In casual discussions people are aware of
the changing face of Ireland, but it is more the Polish plumber or the
Nigerian on welfare assistance that raises concern.'
King stressed that al-Qaeda is present in the Republic but said: 'I think
most estimates are that the numbers are low and the activities are
restricted more to support type operations. Charities, preaching and
societies are ways the jihadist can function and stay within the law but
still be useful to the mission. This doesn't mean they don't operate as a
sleeper cell, but they can stay off the radar.'
King said he was adamant that Ireland, despite its neutrality and history as
a former colony, was not safe from an attack. 'As you saw in Germany lately,
I don't think anywhere is immune.'
However, King praised the role of the gardai in monitoring al-Qaeda suspects
in Ireland, saying they had a 'good grasp' of the issues involved' and were
in constant contact with intelligence and security services counterparts.