http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060903/EDIT0202/609030
389/1022/EDIT

Follow any terrorism on U.S. with strike on Iran
Letters to the editor
The United States must act like a superpower at war. The terrorists have
been "calling the shots," and we are forced to react. It's time to tell them
how we stand. We must tell the world that any attack on us will be followed
by an immediate retaliatory strike on Iran, the hotbed of terrorism.
Even the managed news of the Arab world can't prevent this highly publicized
threat by the U.S. from being disseminated.
Don't tell me we must find the exact people responsible. If Iran sponsors
terrorism, their fingerprints are on any attack on this country.
Alvin Schwenker, Fairfield
LATEST TERROR NEWS MISUSED BY GOP
When the latest terror threat hit the news last month my first thought was
that the current administration had indeed dropped the ball on the war on
terror when they decided that invading Iraq was more important to their
agenda then using all of our resources to catch Osama bin Laden. Five years
after 9/11, bin Laden and his followers are getting stronger and more
aggressive. There is overwhelming evidence that they alone were responsible
for the attack on 9/11 and Iraq had nothing to do with it. The fact that
they are still over there planning more attacks is due to the fact that
President Bush's Iraq plan has not stopped the terrorists. All he has
managed to do is make things worse in the Middle East and helped the
terrorists get stronger and recruit more people.
It is outrageous that the Republicans are trying to use the latest news on
terror to their political advantage. The American people are finally
realizing that their agenda has made us less safe and it is time for a
change in Washington.
Sharon Mills, Felicity
TODAY'S WAR ACTIONS HISTORICAL MOLEHILLS
I was dismayed by the letter "It's power to the people, not power to the
peephole" (Aug. 27). The writer states: "In the entire history of this
nation, we have never been in as much danger of losing our freedoms as we
are at this moment." Such a claim usually comes from those who either don't
believe that we are currently really at war or those who didn't pay close
attention in history class.
Actions by previous war presidents included: Lincoln, who totally suspended
habeus corpus for three years; Wilson, who imprisoned journalists who
opposed World War I; Roosevelt; who interned 30,000 innocent Japanese U.S.
citizens and routinely opened and read domestic mail; and Lyndon Johnson,
who wiretapped the phones of civil rights activists (including the Rev.
Martin Luther King Jr.) under the guise of national security.
Let's get real. Today's actions are, in comparison, just molehills that some
politicians are attempting to make into mountains solely for political gain.
Gary Taylor, Hyde Park
GO AFTER CROOKS, NOT BULLETS
Regarding Jim Borgman's Aug. 30 cartoon: I'm glad to see someone has brought
these thugs to the public's attention. Because of Jim printing their
likeness, the "bullet that killed the cop" has since been found, arrested
and is now awaiting trial. I hope that the "bullet that killed a guy that
everybody liked" is also found soon and brought to justice.
If you've seen that bullet, please call Crime Stoppers. Maybe some time in
the state prison will teach some of these bullets a good lesson. After all,
it is the bullet that committed the crime, and they should do their time.
But seriously, real criminals are not buying guns or ammunition in the local
hardware stores. Removing/banning them will only make you feel good about
yourself and will have zero impact on the criminal. It's not a solution.
Timothy McMahon, Fairfield
SUPPORT SMOKE LESS, NOT SMOKE FREE OHIO
I'm not happy with the attempts of Smoke Free Ohio to ban smoking inside all
businesses in the state. Like many Ohioans, I recognize that some
restrictions are necessary, but I don't believe smoking should be banned
everywhere.
Smoke Free Ohio argues that even in places frequented only by adults, like
bars, smoking should be criminalized. It seems as though Smoke Free Ohio
refuses to recognize the right of individuals to make their own choices. The
owners of the bars, and not the government, should set their smoking
policies.
Smoke Less Ohio, which is a group composed of Ohio's hospitality industry,
understands Ohio needs a common sense smoking policy. I support Smoke Less
Ohio's policy because it would ban smoking in 90 percent of Ohio businesses,
but still respect the rights of owners of places like bars to set their own
smoking policy.
Unlike the extreme measures proposed by Smoke Free Ohio, Smoke Less Ohio is
offering Ohio a policy that balances a concern for the public health with a
concern for the protection of individual rights. In November, I will be
supporting Smoke Less Ohio.
Betsey Kelly, Fairfield