The root cause of Islamic terrorism is Islam.
Bruce

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3301749,00.html

Time to deal with real root cause of terrorism

Alex Epstein -  YNET

Five years after September 11, with Islamic terrorism flourishing
while America's military efforts are floundering, many recognize that
we still have not identified - and dealt with - the root cause of the
terrorist threat.

The most popular theory about the root cause of terrorism is that
terrorism is caused by poverty. The United Nations and our European
and Arab "allies" repeatedly tell us to minimize our military
operations and instead dole out more foreign aid to poor countries -
to put down our guns and pick up our checkbook. Only by fighting
poverty, the refrain goes, can we address the root cause of terrorism.

The pernicious idea that poverty causes terrorism has been a popular
claim since the attacks of Sept. 11.

U.N. secretary general Kofi Annan has repeatedly asked wealthy
nations to double their foreign aid, naming as a cause of terrorism
"that far too many people are condemned to lives of extreme poverty
and degradation."

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell agrees: "We have to put hope
back in the hearts of people. We have to show people who might move
in the direction of terrorism that there is a better way."

Businessman Ted Turner also concurs: "The reason that the World Trade
Center got hit is because there are a lot of people living in abject
poverty out there who don't have any hope for a better life."

Indeed, the argument that poverty causes terrorism has been central
to America's botched war in Iraq - which has focused, not on quickly
ending any threat the country posed and moving on to other crucial
targets, but on bringing the good life to the Iraqi people.

Military action needed

Eliminating the root of terrorism is indeed a valid goal - but
properly targeted military action, not welfare handouts, is the means
of doing so.

Terrorism is not caused by poverty. The terrorists of Sept. 11 did
not attack America in order to make the Middle East richer. To the
contrary, their stated goal was to repel any penetration of the
prosperous culture of the industrialized "infidels" into their world.

The wealthy Osama bin Laden was not using his millions to build
electric power plants or irrigation canals. If he and his terrorist
minions wanted prosperity, they would seek to emulate the United
States - not to destroy it.

More fundamental, poverty as such cannot determine anyone's code of
morality. It is the ideas that individuals choose to adopt which make
them pursue certain goals and values. A desire to destroy wealth and
to slaughter innocent, productive human beings cannot be explained by
a lack of money or a poor quality of life - only by anti-wealth,
anti-life ideas.

These terrorists are motivated by the ideology of Islamic
Fundamentalism. This other-worldly, authoritarian doctrine views
America's freedom, prosperity, and pursuit of worldly pleasures as
the height of depravity. Its adherents resent

America's success and the appeal our culture has to many Middle
Eastern youths.

To the fundamentalists, Americans are "infidels" who should be
killed. As a former Taliban official said, "The Americans are
fighting so they can live and enjoy the material things in life. But
we are fighting so we can die in the cause of God."

The terrorists hate us because of their ideology - a fact that
filling up the coffers of Third World governments will do nothing to
change. What, then, can our government do? It cannot directly
eradicate the deepest, philosophical roots of terrorism; but by using
military force, it can eliminate the only "root cause" relevant in a
political context: state sponsorship of terrorism.

The fundamentalists' hostility toward America can translate into
international terrorism only via the governments that employ,
finance, train, and provide refuge to terrorist networks. Such
assistance is the cause of the terrorist threat--and America has the
military might to remove that cause.

America must extend its fist

It is precisely in the name of fighting terrorism at its root that
America must extend its fist, not its hand. Whatever other areas of
the world may require U.S. troops to stop terrorist operations, we
must above all go after the single main source of the threat - Iran.

This theocratic nation is both the birthplace of the Islamic
Fundamentalist revolution and, as a consequence, a leading sponsor of
terrorism. Removing that government from power would be a potent blow
against Islamic terrorism. It would destroy the political embodiment
of the terrorists' cause.

It would declare America's intolerance of support for terrorists. It
would be an unequivocal lesson, showing what will happen to other
countries if they fail to crack down on terrorists within their
borders. And it would acknowledge the fact that dropping bombs, not
food packages, is the only way for our government to attack terrorism
at its root.

Alex Epstein is a junior fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute in Irvine,
CA. The Institute promotes the ideas of Ayn Rand - best-selling
author of "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" and originator of
the philosophy of Objectivism