Howard's first big mistake!
http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?slug=Aus+rules+out+barring+Mu
slim+immigrants
<http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?slug=Aus+rules+out+barring+M
uslim+immigrants&id=93059> &id=93059

Aus rules out barring Muslim immigrants
  _____

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 (Canberra):
Prime Minister John Howard, who has expressed concerns that an Islamic
minority is failing to integrate into Australian society, has ruled out
barring Muslims from immigrating.

"I don't believe in abandoning a nondiscriminatory immigration policy,"
Howard told Macquarie Radio on Tuesday. "That would send the wrong signal to
moderate people around the world."

"They would feel they are excluded and would feel there was a universal
hostility to a particular religious group and I don't think that is helping"
the global war on terror, Howard said.

But he said moderate Muslims had an obligation to vocally condemn terrorism.

"Justifying terrorism by reference to Islam is the common thread of all the
terrorist attacks we've had," Howard said.

"It puts obligations on all of us, including in particular moderate Islamic
leaders because it's their faith that's being blasphemed and wrongly
invoked," he added.

Question of debate

Howard said he would consider an opposition Labour Party proposal that
Australian visa forms include a statement of Australian values so newcomers
would know what was expected of them. What constitutes Australian values
remains a question of debate.

"What you have to do is to get people to integrate and if part of that
integration process is to better understand and more strongly commit to
Australian values, then I'm all for it," Howard said.

An advocate group for immigrants dismissed the concept of new arrivals
signing a statement of values as "absurd."

"Getting visa-holders to tick a box saying that they support hard work is
hardly the key to making Australian multiculturalism work or defeating
terrorism," Ethnic Communities' Council of Victoria state said in a
statement.

But Labour Leader Kim Beazley said requiring immigrants to state that they
would respect different religious and political views as well as respect
women would help moderate Islamic leaders counter the spread of extremism.
(AP)