How naïve…of course it will hinder cooperation…if you can’t agree on what
you are cooperating on.  Trust the State Dept to be obfuscatory.

Bruce

http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/ap/2006/09/11/europe/EU
_GEN_Italy_US_Terrorism.php

U.S. official says disagreement over counter-terror policies should not
hinder cooperation
The Associated Press

 <http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=ROME&sort=swishrank> ROME A
visiting U.S. official said Monday that disagreements between the U.S. and
Europe over anti-terror policies should not get in the way of fighting
terrorism.

Cooperation between the U.S. and Europe has been hampered by controversy
over U.S. policies and practices, "especially those related to the
detention, questioning and transfer of suspected members of al-Qaida," U.S.
State Department legal adviser John Bellinger III said at a counterterrorism
conference in Rome.

"To cooperate effectively, we must overcome the divide that has developed
across the Atlantic," Bellinger said at the conference, which was attended
by U.S. ambassador to Italy, Ronald Spogli, and Italy's Interior Minister
Giuliano Amato.

The one-day conference, held at the Center for American Studies, gathered
dozens of scholars, students and security experts.

It coincided with worldwide commemorations of the fifth anniversary of the
Sept. 11 attacks. Some in Europe — including Germany's Chancellor Angela
Merkel and the Council of Europe — used the day to reiterate criticism of
controversial global methods of fighting terrorism and to urge more
attention be paid to human rights.

U.S. President George W. Bush recently acknowledged for the first time that
the CIA was running secret prisons overseas. EU lawmakers and civil rights
campaigners had long called on U.S. officials to admit using a network of
secret prisons and transferring prisoners between them on covert flights as
part of the U.S.-led war on terror.

Controversy also sparked over alleged prisoner abuse at the U.S. detention
center for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Many in Europe have
called for its closure.

Bellinger said concerns over alleged abuse of detainees "have snowballed
into an avalanche of suspicion and politicized investigations that now
threaten to undermine a level of cooperation between our governments that is
absolutely vital."

"To bridge the growing divide between the United States and Europe, we need
to improve the quality of the dialogue on counterterrorism," he said.

Meanwhile, bells tolled in Rome's Capitoline Hill for one of several
ceremonies throughout Italy commemorating the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the
United States.

"9/11 will be in our memory forever," Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni said during
the ceremony attended by about 100 people. "We all remember where we were,
what we were doing, what our first reaction was."

Veltroni said he would rename a few streets in the Italian capital after the
victims of the attacks.

"And on this day we want our American friends to feel our closeness and our
friendship," the mayor said.