http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2006/09/are_we_safer_t
o.html
 <http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/> Change of Subject
A Chicago Tribune Web log
Are we safer today than we were on 9/11/2001?
I heard the "are we safer?" question batted around quite a bit on chat shows
over the weekend and even batted it around myself on "Beyond the Beltway
<http://www.beyondthebeltway.com/> ," and have come to the conclusion that,
yes, by many measures, we are safer -- the risk of a terrorist attack
against American citizens on American soil is lower today than it was five
years ago.
We are more vigilant as citizens  to potential threats and  security is
tighter virtually everywhere one goes.   The U.S. and allied forces have
killed thousands of terrorists and terrorist leaders and hampered their
ability to communicate, to train and to infiltrate.
The problem with that answer (with which most of you disagree, according to
the accompanying click poll) is that it's similar to the answer that a
homeowner might give after installing high-tech, ultra-secure locks on all
his doors after a  burglary:   He and his possessions are safer, yes, so
long as the next burglars follow the script, attempt to break through the
doorways and then skulk away in frustration to seek another target
elsewhere.
If the next burglars who come along prefer to break and enter through the
windows, the homeowner's increased sense of safety becomes simply an
illusion, and his vulnerability the result of a combined lack of
imagination, determination and resources.
Given that our nation is, analogously, a house with thousands of doors and
windows that can't all be perfectly secured, the more relevant safety
question is  whether there are now more terrorists wanting to kill us -- to
break into this metaphorical house -- than there were five years ago today.
My fear -- bolstered by the speculations of those who follow this stuff more
closely than I do and by the reports of increases in
<http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/14390584.htm>  terror incidents
worldwide  -- is yes.  Yes, there are more terrorists in the world now than
there were five years ago today.
Why?  Terrorists were emboldened by Al Qaeda's success on 9/11, and their
surviving leaders have used anti-American sentiment (fueled by our
misadventures in Iraq) as a recruiting tool.
Nations and armies can be beaten into surrender. Terrorist forces can only
be hindered and marginalized.  Our success in hindering them -- which leads
me to feel, personally, safer today than I did on the terrible afternoon of
9/11 -- has been offset by our failure to marginalize them.  That effort
will  require deft leadership, skillful diplomacy and international
consensus of the sort we haven't seen since shortly after the towers fell.
I pose this question: Flash back five years ago plus one day. If I'd asked
you, on the evening of Sept. 10, 2001, if you thought Americans were safer
from the threat of domestic terrorism than they were in the wake of the
earlier bombing of the World Trade Centers parking garage and the Murrah
Federal Building in Oklahoma City, what would you have said?
I would have said yes. And it would have been little better than my answer
today -- a fairly wild, basically hopeful guess.
Either way, would your answer have been any better?  Did you have any idea
what barbaric plots were being hatched in the darkest resources of terrorist
cells?
What makes you think today is, really, any different?
"Real" poll results:
ABC News:
Compared to before September 11, 2001, do you think the country today is
safer from terrorism or less safe from terrorism?"

          Safer     Less Safe     No Difference      Unsure
                        %     %     %     %
9/5-7/06        55     37     6     2
6/22-25/06     59     33     7     1
3/2-5/06        56     35     8     1
1/23-26/06     64     30     6     -
8/18-21/05     49     38     11     2
1/15-18/04      67     24     8     1
9/4-7/03          67     27     4     2

CBS News/New York Times
"In the five years since the   attacks of Sept. 11th, do you think the
threat of terrorism against the U.S.   has increased, decreased, or has it
stayed about the same?"

Increased  Decreased  Same   Unsure
                           %     %     %     %
    8/17-21/06     41     14     43     2

<http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2006/09/are_we_safer_
to.html>

Comments

As you implied, we're only safer against yesterday's threats. Which is as
true today as it was on 9/10/01.
People keep saying that 9/11 changed everything. It did not. The terrorists
finally got lucky - terribly lucky (they really didn't think the towers
would fall down did they?). And our bubble of invincibility was broken.
Let's hope it forever remains broken. But somehow I doubt it. Complacency
always awaits.
Posted by: JimMc <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 12:16:05 PM
  _____

Your comments about only being safer if the presumptive terrorist uses the
same blueprint as in the past have been expanded upon greatly over the last
few years by Patrick Smith, who writes on aviation issues for Salon.com. One
of his main points is that never again will anyone be able to take over a
plane with boxcutters, knives, you-name-it, because the passengers now
know--as the folks on Flight 93 learned and acted upon, the goal of
hijackers can no longer be assumed to be merely safe passage to Cuba.
A good point, and one with which I heartily agree.
However, I think the question you ask is too simple. The real question is
two-fold: CAN we be made more safe, and if so, what are the costs?
To a certain extent, one cost of increased safety is merely financial: most
would gladly devote more resources to better port security, more
technologically sophisticated air-travel security, more inspectors and
government oversight for nuclear and chemical facilities. On the other hand,
when the cost becomes a significant loss of personal freedom and civil
rights, those willing to pay that price drops.
MY fear is that there are still a great many willing to trade the one thing
that makes our nation unique, for what ultimately may be very little real
extra safety.
If the president is right, and the terrorists hate us for our freedom,
doesn't stripping us of those freedoms do the terrorists work for them?
ZORN REPLY -- It's a good question, but kind of gauzy, really. I would put
the question back upon you and other readers: What specific freedom of yours
is so integral to your sense of the life worth living that you would
seriously risk your life to defend it? That it is worth a substantial cost
in human lives to maintain? I'm just asking at this point -- not sure of the
answer myself. If, tomorrow, the government said, for instance, that from
now on it will monitor every phone call, every postal letter, ever e-mail
and every conversation in a public place as far as technologically possible,
would you give your life to fight that act?
Posted by: Tim <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Howe | Sep 11, 2006 12:38:09
PM
  _____

The number of terrorists wanting to kill us certainly is important but that
would not be my biggest concern. Most security companies called by a
homeowner in the wake of a burglary though a door would also secure the
windows, even if there was no evidence anyone had tried to break in through
them. It is not clear to what degree the government is doing that -- trying
to predict the next terrorist approach and guard against it. We would not
necessarily know since much of the information would legitimately be secret
but the experience at the airport is not encouraging. At least the visible
screening seems to be reactive. If shoe bombs are enough of a threat to
screen shoes that closely, why did we only start doing it AFTER the
shoe-bomb attempt? Same question for liquids on planes. If these are really
security threats, why did Al Quada think them up before our government did
and if they are not really security threats, why are we wasting resources on
them?
Posted by: JL | Sep 11, 2006 12:47:50 PM
  _____

"Killed thousands of terrorists?" How do you figure?
Most of the people we've killed in Iraq were indigenous fighters who weren't
going to go any further than the next village. And, you know, that's not
including the hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians who have been
killed.
So, I ask you again, where do you get the idea we killed thousands of
"terrorists"?
(Of course, this doesn't even consider the fact that we've actually created
far more terrorists than we've killed, as you admit, making Bush's whole
Mideast endeavor a net gain for the terrorist ranks.)
Posted by: BB <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 1:08:39 PM
  _____

We are not safer, and the threat has expanded to two fronts:
1. The terrorists: The Iraq war has only increased the anger and resentment,
leading to more recruits, and doing nothing to stop terror. The attacks in
London and Madrid show the fallacy in the argument that it would "keep the
terrorists" over there in Iraq.
2. On the home front: While I am all in favor of smoothing out problems that
keep governmental agencies from sharing important information and working
together effectively, I am appalled by this administration's view that
anything and everything they wish to do is automatically authorized by the
congressional legislation giving Bush permission to fight the war on terror.
It would be one thing if these policies and programs were subject to
oversight by the appropriate congressional committees or even the DOJ
oversight officials who were refused security clearances to do their job,
but to have the Attorney General sit there in front of the committees with a
straight face and say otherwise is appalling.
I agree every security procedure doesn't need to be splashed all over the
pages of a newspaper, but when members of Congress responsible for
oversight, even from the Republican party, state that the policies don't
follow the law, that they aren't being informed as they should be about
these programs, and then the most "loyal" of them start talking about making
the law fit the policy retroactively - how are we safer? How is our
democracy safer when an administration can do what they want, without
oversight, and if it gets too hot, have the law rewritten retroactively to
clear them of any wrongdoing?
The terrorists can kill, they can destroy buildings, but only we can destroy
or choose to maintain a country based on a rule of law, a healthy respect
for system of checks and balances.
Posted by: Kay | Sep 11, 2006 1:58:26 PM
  _____

I would expect that the life expectancy of the average American citizen
would either go up if we were safer or down if we weren't. What other
measure is there?
Posted by: Mark <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Frazzetto | Sep 11, 2006
2:17:24 PM
  _____

There is an oddity about talk of safety in this context since even in 2001
the threat to the average american from terrorism was tiny, when compared
with many things we actually deal with in our lives. The threat here is more
a sense that while everyone has to deal with gun violence and car accidents,
americans shouldn't have to worry about terrorists. And certainly there is
something more offensive (or perhaps just more for the government to protect
us from) in the case of terrorists than even hurricanes.
The biggest way we are more safe is that we are more aware that there is a
threat and so more likely to spot things we might have missed.
One of the best things from the perspective of being proud to be an American
that has come out is the better job that we have done of incorporating our
muslim population into the culture than say England or France. One worry, is
that this is not something we can count on indefinitely. Israel used to say
the same about its Israeli Arab population (that is the Palestinians who are
citizens of Israel because they live in Israel proper). But the flares in
fighting with the non-citizens palestinians has frayed relations with the
Israeli Arabs.
The biggest danger to the US would be if something similar happened here. If
American muslims were to become radicalized America would be much less safe.
To date, American muslims have instead been a big advantage.
But seeing Right-wing republican representative Darrell Issa split with the
administration over policy towards Lebanon, he is of Lebanese descent,
reminds me that there is no guarantee of this being a perpetual thing. If
American muslims become convinced we are engaging in a war on Islam we will
have created a real problem. (Just as we would with American jews if they
became convinced we were at war with Israel based on anti-jewish sentiment.)
Posted by: Lon <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 2:36:34 PM
  _____

Framing the limitation of freedom's question as "would you give your life to
fight that act" reads much like the simplistic false choice that is
traditionally advanced by republicans. Well OF COURSE if given the choice
between someone tapping my phone calls and my death I would always let
someone listen in on my phone calls. But, choices are never that absolute.
Would you rather die or have us invade Iraq? Would you rather die or let the
government arrest you for a day? Would you rather die or let the government
put security cameras in your house? Would you rather die or have our
government secretly torture people in other countries?
Utilizing such absolutist reasoning allows for justifying any government
action. The relevant question for an honest debate is whether the freedom I
am giving up is generating the proportionate amount of safety. So far, I
haven't heard a good explanation from the administration that listening in
on our phone lines without court approval is making us safer. Such tapping
was authorized with great regularity (even retroactively) by the FISA court.
Why would the administration have to circumvent such a deferential process?
Are we to believe that it's a surprise to terrorists that we may be tapping
phone lines? Such an honest debate is not present in today's conversation
because the administration isn't pressed to answer these questions and what
seeps into the collective consciousness is that one must choose between the
administration's policies and making oneself safer.
ZORN REPLY -- Lance, I agree with you for the most part, but the
hypotheticals help focus the attention, turning it away from another false
dichotomy and that is the one between ramped up security measures and an
abandonment of the values and principles that set us apart from, say, the
Taliban.
The fact that most people would rather live and than die free, to invert the
famous license plate slogan, doesn't mean freedom means nothing or ever
little -- though it does tell me that such debates as the one you propose
need to be entered into with an open mind from both sides. I keep hearing
people on one side (mis)quoting Ben Franklin that anyhone who gives up one
jot of liberty for any jot of safety deserves neither, and people on the
other saying they prefer a suspension of all civil liberties to any possibly
preventable risk to life or limb.
Posted by: Lance <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Manion | Sep 11, 2006
2:52:28 PM
  _____

Shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor the U.S. government decided it was
easier to round up all the asian americans than try and figure out who was
the enemy. Sure some innocent people were inconvenienced, but many more were
safe, or felt safe. Where is this type of thinking today? If there is
another incident on our soil. I'm all for rounding up anyone that looks like
they fit the profile and retaining them for a while until things get sorted
out and the majority feel secure. The apologies and meager restitution can
be doled out later at a cost much less than my price of safety.
Posted by: Marty <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 2:57:50 PM
  _____

In mathematical terms you are right: we are safer. 5 years ago, in a scale
from 1 to 100 the level of 'safety' against an attack from an Islamic
fundamentalist terror organization was probably below 20. And today it is
probably somewhere in the 30's... so sure things have improved. But change
is slow. And in the meantime, it is imperative that the citizens become
PROACTIVE and take responsibility for their lives.
Being AWARE, planning in advance and taking those few steps to ensure your
safety and that of your loved ones can mean the difference between life and
death in an emergency scenario.
So, be proactive! Be prepared! Your life is worth it!
Posted by: Joe  <http://www.typepad.com/t/comments?__mode=red&id=22270254> |
Sep 11, 2006 3:09:09 PM
  _____

..."I'm all for rounding up anyone that looks like they fit the profile and
retaining them for a while until things get sorted out and the majority feel
secure"...
...does this mean that after the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing that
every white male that looked like Tim McVeigh and his kind should have been
rounded up?...
Posted by: BZ <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 3:09:42 PM
  _____

What kind of "success" could those idiots possibly have had? If their
killing hundreds or thousands of people is considered a "success," then
their biggest success has been duping a bunch of people who are too
weak-willed to stand up for their own right to exist. Americans need to see
these people as they are, not as some crafty and brave "holy warriors," but
as a bunch of insignificant vermin who can only get attention for their
pathetic ideas by killing or threatening innocents. Every day we live
freely, peacefully, and vigilantly, is a day that their pathetic cause is
defeated. I am not against the sentiment that may have motivated the Bush
administration's reaction to the attacks five years ago. However, I would
say the administration failed, not so much in the military sense that some
people suggest, but in a public relations sense. By inventing the so-called
axis of evil and war on terror, Bush has given recognition and cohesion to a
bunch of misguided individuals who previously might not have made the grade
as common criminals.
Posted by: ttj <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 3:50:02 PM
  _____

As a security expert, my job is to protect the invisible walls surrounding
my customers' information every day. Unfortunately, the methods we are
spending money on--creating one line of defense--is the least effective. The
problem with this method is that if you penetrate this one wall, you can
compromise the whole system. we must spend more efforts on protecting this
country every step of the way, instead of creating a single wall around each
mode of transportation.
There is one measure Americans have put in place which creates defence in
depth, and that is their own villigence. No matter where people go, they are
being watched by Americans concerned for their own safety. If the events of
9/11 were to occur again, I think all Americans would do what the passengers
on the flight which was downed in the fields of Pennsylvania did. This
viligance alone makes us safer.
I also hope that our intelligence has infiltrated the ranks of the enemy.
Preventing an attack before it is even hatched is the best method of
protection. While I don't know what goes on in the ranks of our government,
it seems to me that we have beefed up our intelligence operatives to a large
degree. If nothing else, they've lost the attitude that "it can't happen to
us." After gathering all of the evidence from the 9/11 commission, I believe
it was this attitude within the ranks of the Clinton and Bush
administrations that led to the success of this attack.
The only thing working against us, making us less safe, is the increased
determination of our enemy.
Posted by: cpfoutz <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 3:54:02 PM
  _____

Marty, are you a white male?
So was Timothy McVeigh. So was Eric Rudolph. So was the Unabomber. The only
difference between what those guys did and the Sept 11th hijackers, was the
number of casualties. They were all terrorists.
Does that mean we should round you up and put you in a camp somewhere?
Posted by: Patty | Sep 11, 2006 4:16:01 PM
  _____

Mark brings up a good point about measurement. Is there an actuarial risk
calculation we can consult? Have the insurance premiums for terrorism
protection gone up or down? Despite Bush's and Cheney's assurances, I really
ought to consult my State Farm agent first...
Posted by: JimMc <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 4:20:50 PM
  _____

I think most of the terrorist threat in the U.S. is blown out of proportion
for purposes of manipulation. If they were out there in our country, we
would have been attacked in the last five years.
The press releases from Iraq or Afghanistan always state that "suspected"
militants were killed, or "suspected" terrorists.
What the hell does that mean? And just what is a "suspected militant?"
There are a lot of nebulous claims made all the time in these acounts of the
violence in Iraq and Afghanistan. It reminds me of the war in Viet Nam, when
the Pentagon would routinely claim that hundreds of Viet Cong were killed in
a battle, and maybe one of two American servicemen. We know now that
hundreds of thousands, surely over a million and maybe more than two
million, Viet Namese civilians were killed in that war, and there were
hundreds of thousands of American casualties. Carpet bombing, defoliants,
napalm, and chemical weapons were excessively used in Viet Nam by the US
military.
Wait untill the health toll from depleted uranium used in today's weapons
comes to bear on the populace. It will make Agent Orange look quaint.
We are neither safer nor more vulnerable today that we were on 9/11, but the
encroachment of militarism on our constitution and the increase of power
concentrated in the Executive Branch continues as it has since the Spanish
American War. Where are the checks and balances on the CIA and the NSA?
Secrecy promotes tyrrany, my friends. It can happen here.
Where does it all end? Concentration camps for Muslims? With us dropping the
big one somewhere? Martial law in the USA?
Posted by: Elbow <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Roomer | Sep 11, 2006
4:34:58 PM
  _____

Eric - I agree that "hypotheticals help focus the attention," just not your
hypothetical - as you presented it: "would you give your life to fight that
act." My point is that when a choice is presented in such absolute terms -
would you rather die or (using your hypothetical) have the government
"monitor every phone call," it advances a false choice, or "false dichotomy"
as you put it. Such a choice only serves to manipulate the debate to a
predetermined conclusion rather than to foster a reasoned honest debate.
An honest debate of this issue, as mentioned before, would be a discussion
of how we are to be made safer by the civil liberties we are asked to
sacrifice. If that question is asked in the context of the NSA spying
scandal (analogous to the communication monitoring in your hypothetical),
there has been no answer to this question from the administration nor
demanded from the press.
Take the example of profiling people on flights. It's an awful thing to go
through, and contrary to traditional liberal principles, but if the balance
is between airline safety and some inconvenience, it's a reasonable debate
to determine whether such a sacrifice increases our safety. But, to say that
the government can arbitrarily and without oversight start monitoring
domestic communications in the name of safety is absurd, and without a
reasoned explanation one has no choice but to wonder what non-security
purposes are behind such actions.
Posted by: Lance <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Manion | Sep 11, 2006
5:22:16 PM
  _____

If the US government would simply vacate the Middle East (diplomats and the
military), end it's meddling, stop it's interventionism and emperialism we
would be much safer and we could once again be more free. And we could end
this foolish discussion over our safety, for which anyone knows our lack of
safety was caused by our illegal and immoral US foreign policy. Intervention
is not the cure it's the cause of all our troubles.
Posted by: Anonymous <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 5:28:15 PM

  _____

Prior to March 2003, there were only 3 terrorists in Iraq, Saddam Hussein &
his 2 violent sons.
Now there are thousands of them!
And Marty, you're wrong, the feds didn't round up asian-americans, they
rounded up Japanese Americans. Then in one of the best bureacratic ways of
all time, they drafted them out of the internment camps.
J. Edgar Hoover was against it, but Earl Warren, California's governor,
asked for it. He called it his worst mistake. It was probably really done as
a land grab to get some prime farm land from the owners.
Posted by: jeff | Sep 11, 2006 5:35:59 PM
  _____

Repubican appologists, operatives and neo-cons are great at sloganeering.
This past week a CIA operative interviewed on a Sunday morning show,
discussing personal liberties, declared that "our Constitution is not a
death pact".
What, exactly, doest that mean? If it means that our government, beant on an
illusory persuit of safety, is willing to comply with the Constitution when,
and only when, it suits it purpose, then what distinquishes us from the
"freedom haters" in the midle east?
Posted by: Nick <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Falcone | Sep 11, 2006
6:16:39 PM
  _____

We're more likely to die from heart disease, cancer and traffic accidents
than we are from a terrorist act. That doesn't mean we shouldn't let down
our guard. We need to be vigilant. Ultimately, I don't feel any less safe
since 9/11.
Posted by: Bob S. <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | Sep 11, 2006 6:40:35 PM
  _____

The thought that we, as a country, are somehow safer now than we were before
9/11 is preposterous.
Yes, over 2800 lives were lost that day.
But how many lives and casualties have been lost since the current
administration started its misguided war on terror? More than were lost on
9/11.
I'm not saying that the "war on terror" was/is a bad thing. Only that we
knew where it needed to be fought, i.e., Afghanistan and environs, but
decided to fight elsewhere, i.e., Iraq.
It's hard to imagine that SOMEBOY couldn't foresee the consequence this
stupidity.